Dietary fat

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
What do you do to add fat to your diet? I'm consistently coming up short and need to fill in somehow

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We keep it simple, bacon fat & butter for cooking, cream, butter & olive oil. We don't usually buy lean meats. I love eggs & cheesse for breakfast. Simple meals. Great WOE!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Coconut oil

It is good for your cholesterol and a fat that is good for you!

I cook with it and eat a teaspoon
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? If so you can add as much as you need and have the best coffee of your life at the same!
    Don't like coffee? How about chai tea? It's also fantastic made like bullet proof coffee. I had some apple spice chai the other night. I know what my fall addiction is going to be now!
    Other than that, add extra salad dressing, mayo, butter to whatever you're eating.
    Have a snack of olives or almonds.
    I also love celery with cream cheese. I fill the whole divet up!
    I also like to place a few pepperoni on parchment and melt mozzarella or cheddar cheese on it in the microwave til the edges are bubbly. It's a really good "pull apart pizza" type snack. Yum!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? If so you can add as much as you need and have the best coffee of your life at the same!
    Don't like coffee? How about chai tea? It's also fantastic made like bullet proof coffee. I had some apple spice chai the other night. I know what my fall addiction is going to be now!
    Other than that, add extra salad dressing, mayo, butter to whatever you're eating.
    Have a snack of olives or almonds.
    I also love celery with cream cheese. I fill the whole divet up!
    I also like to place a few pepperoni on parchment and melt mozzarella or cheddar cheese on it in the microwave til the edges are bubbly. It's a really good "pull apart pizza" type snack. Yum!

Great tips. Yum!

I add a couple tbsp HWC to my protein shake at night if im low on fats.

Or i make a quick creamy 'mousse' dessert, if im in the mood, with 2 tbsp HWC, whipped with 1 tbsp flavored protein powder & then 2 tbsp coconut cream folded in, topped with a little drizzle of Waldens Farm sugar-free calorie-free Syrup (chocolate usually, but also strawberry, caramel & pancake.. they do others too):
    (i use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in the following flavors, which are all gorgeous in shakes, mousse, dessert, mug cakes, pancakes etc: Banana Creme, Caramel Toffee Fudge, Vanilla Ice Cream, Rocky Road, Double Rich Chocolate, Strawberry).

I went through a phase of making Keto 'Cheesecake' desserts to fill in my macros and... err.. (who needs an excuse for cheesecake, right?!): Its simply 1 packet of SF Jello in w/e flavor you like your cheesecake/mousse (we chose lemon/lime, raspberry & orange to try so far - yum), make up jello with just 1 cup boiling water to dissolve, then let jello chill in the fridge (not set, just cooled). When chilled whisk jello liquid into 1 regular-sized tub of full-fat Philadelphia cream cheese. Pour into a round cake tin for crust-less cheesecake to serve in slices (it sets up perfectly) or individual ramekins/glasses for a cheesecake mousse style dessert. Serve with extra HW pouring cream if liked, for extra fats! :)

Adding full-fat mayo, hollandaise or cream-based sauces to your food amps up the fats quickly.

Use fattier cuts of meat

Sautee your meat, fish & vegetables in coconut oil and/or butter.

Use cream cheese as a dip or spread on slices of ham or w/e for snacks.

Snack on cheese or use it to top your recipes.

Personally, i have the opposite problem... I dont find it hard to increase fat intake at all, i have to be careful to keep it down. :)

• pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I add a couple tbsp HWC to my protein shake at night if im low on fats.

What is HWC?
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I tried the coffee with HWC and butter. I thought that adding butter to coffee was bizarre I was wrong. OMG it is delicious
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    HWC= Heavy Whipping Cream
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly low carb but: nuts, avocado, olives, whole fat cottage cheese.
  • joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The crustless keto "cheesecakes" sound like something I would like to try. My question is, how do you allocate the calorie count and correct amount for each macro in the food diary?
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Is HWC sugar free?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    Is HWC sugar free?

Yes at 0.26 grams per 8 oz.
    The whipping cream and heavy whipping cream both state 821 calories per cup so I think they are the same product?

fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/whipping-cream?portionid=29289

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup of fluid (yields 2 cups whipped)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 793Calories 821

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 88.06g 135%
    Saturated Fat 54.816g 274%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3.27g
    Monounsaturated Fat 25.433g
    Cholesterol 326mg 109%
    Sodium 90mg 4%
    Potassium 178mg
    Total Carbohydrate 6.64g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.26g
    Protein 4.88g

Half and Half has much fewer calories and a bit more of carbs.

Nutrition summary:
    Calories
    Fat
    27.83g
    Carbs
    10.41g
    Protein
    7.16g
    There are 315 calories in 1 cup of Half and Half Cream.
    Calorie breakdown: 78% fat, 13% carbs, 9% protein

fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/cream-half-and-half?portionid=1520&portionamount=1.000
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kens Steakhouse Buttermilk Ranch. It's pretty much all fat. Costs just as much as any other decent dressings. Look for it!

Other than that...peanut butter. 75-80% fat.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    HWC, butter and bacon fat is how I get my fats in. I don't use coconut oil yet.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »

Bleh. I can't stand coconut oil. That is definitely an acquired taste. Only place I like that is in the bedroom, for some reason. Don't ask me why, but its good there! Maybe some sort of psycho-sensory connection or something, but it is quite a phenomenon to me. Hope that's not too much tmi. Haha

Coconut oil: delicious in the sack, but distasteful in food!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    joanl9 wrote: »
    The crustless keto "cheesecakes" sound like something I would like to try. My question is, how do you allocate the calorie count and correct amount for each macro in the food diary?

I set up a recipe. You enter all the ingredients by weight or measure for the entire batch, then set the number of servings. It's save on your account so you can go log it again in the future. (There used to be a glitch with recipes entered in the app not registering the proper macros, but it seems like they finally fixed that)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    joanl9 wrote: »

I usually add a recipe to My Recipes -- you can start with a similar one from the web and have MFP look up the ingredients, then adjust the amounts and ingredients that you used. Figure out how many servings you are making, add that. It takes a bit of fiddling, but eventually you will have an accurate count for your cheesecake.
    I do this from a laptop, but you can also use the app, I think.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »

Bleh. I can't stand coconut oil. That is definitely an acquired taste. Only place I like that is in the bedroom, for some reason. Don't ask me why, but its good there! Maybe some sort of psycho-sensory connection or something, but it is quite a phenomenon to me. Hope that's not too much tmi. Haha

Coconut oil: delicious in the sack, but distasteful in food!

I have seen others say they don't like the taste either, but the first time I bought it, it had no flavor. Then I saw someone say to get the organic cold pressed and it tastes like coconut. So I did and there is the slightest flavor that actually tastes more vanilla to me. I mean it's very light. Can barely taste anything if I put a spoonful directly in my mouth! I wouldn't mind if it did taste like coconut. I love coconut! I bought one this week and started adding the meat to my coffee and blend it up. Still doesn't taste like coconut! Lol
  • Donnagemmy
    Donnagemmy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where can I put my recipes on MFP?
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    What do you do to add fat to your diet? I'm consistently coming up short and need to fill in somehow

Ok this isn't good if you are totally pure non processed but it's my goto when I'm either not getting enough fat or stop losing. Boil a cup of water, mix in a pkg sugar free jello any flavor, whip in 8 oz of cream cheese. Pour it in a large bowl and let it chill until solid. I slice it into wedges and eat it like pie. I'll grab the data.

yovhgy76tnoa.jpg
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I see @CoconuttyMummy has the same idea, but I wanted to let you know you don't have to even chill it! I just add it to the hot water/jello mix and whip it in to get lots of air in it (about a minute on high) and it never curdles or anything and sets up great! Save you a step. I use a block of cream cheese, not the whipped kind, which I think is cheaper, too.