LC and antidepressants

Options
Hi anyone doing LC and on antidepressants ? Im on 20mg prozac for chronic pms. It completely gets rid of pms so coming off it is not an option.
Iv had my 5 child last Oct and am 2 stone overweight. Even on LC im finding the going veeeeeeeery slow.
Anyone else on antid and has success with weight loss ?

Replies

• kmhaley81
    kmhaley81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on 10mg of Lexapro and doing LCHF for PCOS and insulin resistance. It is coming off slowly, but I attribute that to the wine that I refuse to give up :wink: I think I would rather have less anxiety and lose slowly than suffer from crippling anxiety that I have if I’m not on meds. Good luck to you, keep us posted on how it’s going!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    While I do not any type of Rx meds I do find the low carb high fat way of eating having an antidepressant effect in my case. It may be due to mainly removing the inflammation in my body that lowers my pain levels greatly.

Many health issues can impact weight lose in my view/experience so we have to balance all factors.

If I recall correctly a stone is 14 pounds so even an on average of 1 pound loss per month would only take about two years to hit your objective. Meds may be more of a speed bump than a road block.

On weight loss objectives since my health is improving with the LCHF diet for about a year and I am finally just under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years I just want my weigh to be trending downward for the last 25 pounds of weight loss and taking two years would be just fine. I do not believe in magic when it comes to weight loss or anything else.

Magic appears to occur when there real factors that are at work that we do not see or grasp. :)

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi. Raises hand and waves!!!

@fantasticelastic. I'm on effexor (generic) and abilify (generic) for bipolar. I'm doing very LCHFMP so I'm keeping to 20g net carbs or less per day. I have not had an issue with the meds affecting my weight loss. I do know that a side affect of both of my meds is weight gain. I've only been doing VLCHFMP since last Friday and I doubt I will ever go back to eating carbs. I'm truly enjoying this WOE and finding that I feel so much better one week in, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Hope this helps!!!!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of being off of 15 mg cipralex. I started weaning off of it for 105 days (right after I started lchf). Lchf does amazing things for my anxiety and depression. I feel good. When I went ON the cipralex 5 years ago I gained 60 pounds in 4 months and could not get it off. I would exercise and even did 1200 calories a day with not a budge in weight. In 112 days LCHF, I'm down 32 lbs. So I'd say it could very well be the medication. Keep plugging away though! You aren't doing your body any harm by eating this way!
  • spacetastic
    spacetastic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on 20mg of ciprolex and never thought to try and come of it. Maybe I should if it will help with my weight loss? How did you do it AngInCanada?
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kmhaley81 wrote: »
    I am on 10mg of Lexapro and doing LCHF for PCOS and insulin resistance. It is coming off slowly, but I attribute that to the wine that I refuse to give up :wink: I think I would rather have less anxiety and lose slowly than suffer from crippling anxiety that I have if I’m not on meds. Good luck to you, keep us posted on how it’s going!

Yes, same boat here!

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You might want to look into Myo-Inositol (aka Inositol). There's a fair bit of research on its use for both PCOS and anxiety type neurological issues. It's a pseudovitamin (we're supposed to be able to make it internally) in the B-complex family (B8, to be exact), so it works by reinforcing the bonds in the neurological system, improving the body's ability to communicate with itself, basically. It might help with the weight loss and improve the effect of the Lexapro.
    Hi anyone doing LC and on antidepressants ? Im on 20mg prozac for chronic pms. It completely gets rid of pms so coming off it is not an option.
    Iv had my 5 child last Oct and am 2 stone overweight. Even on LC im finding the going veeeeeeeery slow.

Have you ever had your hormones checked? PMS in general is largely due to hormone imbalances, so there might be an underlying issue that the Prozac has ended up masking. It might be worth getting estrogen/progesterone/testosterone levels checked to ensure there's not an imbalance going on (because if there is, it could be causing more problems than just PMS that haven't come to light yet).
  • kmhaley81
    edited August 2015
    Options

Is Inositol the vitamin you shouldn't take if you're also on birth control pills (which I am)? I thought I read that in the PCOS forum. Could be wrong...
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »

Yes, same boat here!

The wine too? ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Is Inositol the vitamin you shouldn't take if you're also on birth control pills (which I am)? I thought I read that in the PCOS forum. Could be wrong...

If you are just taking BCP to prevent getting pregnant, you're probably fine. For me, I was taking it to prevent cycles (taking it continuously), and so my body thought that was an anomaly and tried to "fix it." I didn't get accidentally pregnant or anything, and dozens of people take the two together. I just tried to defy nature, and it whammied me right back. I have not heard of this ever happening to anyone else, and I tend to have non-normal reactions to just about everything. I think my body's wires are crossed somewhere. I would not consider this a concern, just something to be generally aware of, just watching for negative effects.
  • pennell12
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

You might want to look into Myo-Inositol (aka Inositol). There's a fair bit of research on its use for both PCOS and anxiety type neurological issues. It's a pseudovitamin (we're supposed to be able to make it internally) in the B-complex family (B8, to be exact), so it works by reinforcing the bonds in the neurological system, improving the body's ability to communicate with itself, basically. It might help with the weight loss and improve the effect of the Lexapro.

Have you ever had your hormones checked? PMS in general is largely due to hormone imbalances, so there might be an underlying issue that the Prozac has ended up masking. It might be worth getting estrogen/progesterone/testosterone levels checked to ensure there's not an imbalance going on (because if there is, it could be causing more problems than just PMS that haven't come to light yet).

• pennell12
    Options
    Hello! Would love to hear more about Inositol -- I do have PCOS but am non post menopausal. It appears that insulin resistance and PCOS are related and are probably a contributing factor in my Type 2 Diabetes. I take Metformin and it deples B Vitamins. My endo wants me to take B Vitamin supplements. I would like to try Inositol but would like to hear more about it!! Thanks :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I ended up with neuropathy from being on Metformin and birth control pills, so get on a b-complex stat! The sublingual ones are the best for absorption. Take them in the morning for an energy boost. Get on them as soon as possible, because at this point, I'm still waiting to see if my nerve damage is permanent... I'm still hoping to reverse it!

Inositol is generally found in the more common form, but the Myo is the one you need. If you are not in the PCOS group, I'd recommend joining the one we are in. There have been some amazing discussion on Inositol there. You will likely want to supplement Inositol separately and over the amount in general supplements.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have taken a medicine called Savella for almost 10 years. It's primary use is to help control fibromyalgia symptoms, but is also a mild antidepressant in its action. I have recently cut the dose in half in hopes of being able to discontinue the use. You must wean yourself from any anti depressant to avoid potentially bad side effects. I've cut to half the dose this week, then will cut that in half next week. Leading to alternated days of taking it until I decide to stop it. As long as it doesn't create terrible fibromyalgia pain I should be able to discontinue it by the end of September.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    BTW: without this woe I wouldn't have even considered it! :smiley:
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm on 20mg of ciprolex and never thought to try and come of it. Maybe I should if it will help with my weight loss? How did you do it AngInCanada?

Sorry I didn't check back. I weaned by 2.5 mg every 3 or 4 weeks. I've been cknsrely off of it now for 14 days and I feel a lot better. The first week sicked really bad. I was READY to come off of it though. Even a year ago I wasn't in the right head space and my mental health trumps weight loss any day. So just make sure you are ready to come off and that you have a back up plan in place before you start to wean. For me, I NEED to take time to myself everyday. I need to surround myself with positive people. I need cardio to burn off adrenaline and I need to watch what I eat (gluten and caffeine trigger anxiety for me)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Sounds like you did it the best way @AngInCanada, and it's great that you feel better being off of it. I hope it continues for always! I pray for similar results for me, once I am free of this medication! Then on to the next one! I have my sights on discontinuing the doxycycline (an antibiotic) that I have taken for many years. I have Follicilitis which is a condition where random hair follicles (mostly arms and legs)that become infected for whatever reason. I'm hoping this woe leads to elimination of that too!