Team A Loft!

Options
adancer59
adancer59 Posts: 302 Member
Welcome to Team A! This includes the Yellow, Red, White, and Pink teams :)

Replies

• adancer59
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Alison, and I am 24 years old. I am currently in graduate school working toward a PhD in industrial engineering. I also teach dance (tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, etc.) part time to little kids.

I have been gaining weight since I left high school. I used to dance every day for hours at a time. Then, when that stopped, I, of course, started gaining weight because I was still eating the same amount of food. In total I gained about 48 pounds over a period of 6 years. I started my first diet 3 years ago and have dieted several times since. However, I've never lost more than 10 pounds or so before tuckering out. I began this journey in mid-March with my boyfriend, and we are not stopping this time. We have definitely started thinking of it as a lifestyle change, and we have both been pretty successful.

I can't wait to meet the rest of the white and pink team! I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    HELLO! My name is Marsha and I will turn 55 years old next week.

I have been happily married to my best friend for almost 26 years and I have 3 adult sons who all still live at home. We also share 3 dogs, Belle, Ellie, and Clyde. I work full time as an SQA Engineer...which means I test software. I am also attending graduate school, trying to earn my MBA. However, I am currently taking this summer off so that I can spend more time in the gym.

I have been overweight since my pregnancy with my oldest son - I never lost the baby weight. And in caring for everyone else, I neglected myself. Typical story, right? Now it is my turn. After all, its never too late! I began this journey on December 27th, and I am still going strong! I am confident that I will reach the goals that I have set for myself...and once I do, I am never going back!

I have made several new friends here on MFP, and I am looking forward to making more! Together, WE CAN ALL DO THIS!
    ~Marsha
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hey all! My name is Taylor and I am 20 years old.

I am a currently in school to become a nurse. I live with my boyfriend of 3 years in the basement apartment of my parent's house, but I can't wait to be done school so I can get my own place lol. My boyfriend, Josh, was diagnosed with a liver disease last year so I spend the majority of my spare time taking care of him. It is a hard but rewarding job. I also work part time.

I have three very noisy kitties, Salem, Hank and Leo. They make it very difficult to work out sometimes because they are always under my feet!

I haven't been overweight my whole life, I use to be a competitive dancer when I was younger and when I quit 4 years ago my body went with it! I started on this website at 221 pounds and am now currently 206.3 and am 5'4. I have very bad eating habits that I am trying to break, which can be extremely challenging!

I am here to help myself and to help motivate you all as well! I can't wait to meet you all
  • Ljsiegel
    Ljsiegel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HELLO! My name is Linda.

It's a year of milestones for me: 25 years married, 50 years old (in Nov of this year) and .... first time unemployed. I got laid off last November and have made my primary "job" since then to work on health and fitness. I figure I'll save more money in the long run by improving my health. I started by going to the Biggest Loser resort for a week. This showed me how to live for a week on 1500 calories a day, and exercise a lot in the day. It was a great kick start. Lost 7 lbs that week and have since lost another 33 for 40 total. And I got setup on myfitnesspal which has helped me be motivated and accountable.

I've been overweight most of my life but really added on during my preganancy (with twin boys 21 years ago!) hitting a high of 231 last november. As of now, at 192lbs, I'm the lowest I've been in probably 21 years :) My goal is to get to 160 maybe lower but I want something maintainable. I'm starting to look again for work -- reluctantly, since I don't want to give up my workout time!

Looking forward to finishing this challenge strong. I'd like to get to down at least another 10lbs by September.
    Linda
  • stacyb99
    stacyb99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Stacy, 44 mother of a twenty year old amazing and crazy daughter. Also got married 2 years ago, after many years of being single, it is a serious adjustment! Especially in the food department. Have always been a yo-yo dieter, up and down 15 lbs-- but after marriage quickly went up 30!!! I have lost almost 15 since January, but this is a very slow journey---

I hope to get more focused, last few weeks have been "distracting", so I haven't been as loyal to Team A-- I have been exercising and dieting, just not looped into challenges--

Good Luck and happy weekend!
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Christine. I am 43 years old mother (now single) of 7children (4 of my own and 3 step children). Of the 7 only 2 are left at home, 17 & 15. I also recently (right at the beginning of this challenge) received custody of 3 of my grandchildren, 3, 22 months and 9 months (I have 14 grandchildren now with another 2 on the way).. At this point it looks like I will be adopting the 3 grandchildren later this year.
    With all that said, I have been overweight my whole life. My mom says I was 2 before I walked because my legs were too fat. I decided to work on myself and lose the weight. I know I will probably never be skinny but I want to get into shape. I am learning how to eat healthier and passing that on to my grandchildren. My kids at home don't care for it too much. We don't go buy fast food every night and now I am cooking at home, but they are getting used to it.

I have lost 10 pounds or so during this challenge and hope to lose at least another 10 more by September. I am shooting for 6 by the end of August so that I am under 200 when I turn 44!!
  • mjharman
    Options
    Its WONDERFUL to meet y'all! Here are my stats so far this week:

1. 4/4 days of exercise
    2. 18.8 miles walking
    3. 6 min. running in place
    4. 4 packed lunches with healthy fruits and veggies

I have to weigh in at my dietitian's office today. Its a monthly way to keep me accountable, but I don't think she's going to like the number. My weight loss has slowed dramatically this month. I think its a mental thing...I wanted to reach ONEderland by my birthday next week...and I am still 5.4 pounds away. :tongue: But you know what? Even if I don't get there by my birthday, I WILL be there SOON! In fact, I am closer then I have been in a VERY LONG TIME!

I can't wait to see how far I will be by the time my birthday rolls around next year! :happy:

Happy Friday everyone! Make sure you do your Happy Snoopy Dance today...you'll burn some extra calories! :laugh:

~Marsha
  • adancer59
    Options
    Today is my Friday!! After 6 days of working 12-14 hour days, I am ready for a break! I have had a pretty good week so far, but I am a little afraid tonight won't go so well. My little brother turns 21 at midnight tonight and all his friends are younger than him, so I'm taking him out. I'm super excited to do something fun and relaxing! I guess I'll just have to make smart food and alcohol choices. Then, Sunday I'll have to have an amazing "last chance workout," hahaha :)

3/4 days of exercise
    29.88 miles biking (on a recumbent bike)
    9/20 minutes of calisthenics
    5/5 packed lunches
    1/1 lunch picture

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
  • TayPat24
    Options
    hey all!

sorry that I kinda slacked off this week, it was a busy one for me!

but here are my stats
    5/7 days of exercise
    35/20 mins of calisthenics
    3/5 packed lunches

my current weight is 206.8 so i gained 0.5 pounds this week :(
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    7/4 days of exercise
    10 miles biking
    20/20 minutes of calisthenics
    4/5 packed lunches

current weight 206.00

I have gotten my grandchildren to work out with me. They are the ones who got me to the extra 20 minutes of calistenics. Everyday they tell me, come on lets do jumping jacks. It's so cute!!
  • mjharman
    Options
    Monday morning weigh in: 205...that's only .4 weight loss, but hey! its .4 closer to my first milestone...ONEDERLAND! :smile:

Here are my challenge stats for last week:

1. 5/4 days of exercise
    2. 35.46 miles walking
    3. Did not complete :cry:
    4. 5/7 packed or healthy lunches
    5. None posted

Happy Monday everyone! It is the beginning of a new week...let's see what we can do with it!
    :heart:
    ~Marsha
  • adancer59
    Options
    Hey everyone! My ended up going well!

4/4 days of exercise
    4.5 miles walking
    29.88 miles biking
    9/20 min of calisthenics
    5/5 lunches packed
    lunch photo posted

I will be posting this week's challenge soon. Good luck to everyone!
  • adancer59
    Options
    Hello again ladies! Sorry that I am posting this late. Good luck to everyone in this week's challenges!

Exercise Challenges
    1. Exercise 4 out of 7 days this week for at least 30 minutes. The exercise can be either cardio or strength training. It can be at a gym, at home, outside, or anywhere else you'd like. Squeeze it in during your lunch break at work or while your kids are at their extracurricular activities. Whenever it is and whatever it is, make sure it happens at least 4 times this week :)

1 lbs advantage for everyone who succeeds

2. The last week of our month-long challenge!!! Run, walk, bike, and/or swim as much as possible this week. Keep track of the distance you cover doing each activity. At the end of the week, the person with the most miles in each category will get an advantage pound. This will be a month-long challenge. There will be advantage pounds given out each week as well as advantage pounds given out to the people who've gone the farthest in each category at the end of the month.

1 lbs advantage for the best performer in each category

3. This week is the challenge's halfway point, so I thought we'd do something to commemorate that. We are going to do a short fitness test. Then, during the last week of the challenge, we will do it again to see how much we've improved! For this challenge you need to complete a 1-mile walk test or 1.5 miles run test, depending on your current level of aerobic exercise. For both of these tests, you are timing how long it takes you to complete the walk/run. In addition, count how many push-ups, crunches, and burpees you can do in one minute as well as how long you can hold a plank position. If for some health reason you cannot complete any parts of this fitness test, please do not try to do so. However, not trying just because something is hard, is not a good enough excuse. You will be surprised by how much you improve over the next 9 weeks!

1 lbs advantage for everyone who completes the fitness test

Water Challenge
    4. This week we are going to focus on increasing our water intake. If you currently get the recommended 8-10 glasses of water a day, try to continue that this week. If you do not currently get the recommended 8-10 glasses of water a day, try to increase you water intake by at least one glass every day this week.

1 lbs advantage for everyone who succeeds

Other things we've talked about in the past
    Take a rest day
    Keep drinking water
    Incorporate more fish into your diet
    Don't forget breakfast
    Eat 5 portions of fruits/veggies a day
    Try to cut down on added sugars
    Think about how many colors you are eating
    Make sure you get enough sleep
    When things get tough, remember why you are doing this
    Keep trying new activities and exercises
    Stay active on the discussion boards
    Say no to dessert every once in a while
    Eating healthy lunches / packing your lunch

In Summary:
    1. 4/7 days of exercise = 1 lbs advantage
    2. Person that walks/runs/bikes/swims the farthest = 1 lbs advantage (This is the last week!)
    3. Completing the fitness test = 1 lbs advantage
    4. Increase your water intake by at least one glass unless you currently meet the recommendation = 1 lbs advantage

Thanks to everyone who suggested the challenges for this week! Please keep coming up with awesome ideas, and post them to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/996673-challenge-ideas
  • channy70
    channy70 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Chantell, I am 43yrs old, married 20yrs tomorrow, with 3 kids 26, 19, & 9 and two grandsons 5 & 2. I am an RN working towards my masters.

I have struggled with my weight for the past 13yrs, I have tried everything from weight watchers 1000 times to jenny craig to hydroxycut, xenadrine & the health wagon to $1000s at GNC. After the birth of my youngest son, I was just 10lbs from my goal weight, but over the past 5-6yrs I've gain 52lbs weighing in at 192lbs, the heaviest I've ever been in my entire life. I started my journey again in January 2013 by joining weight watchers weighing in at 189.8lbs, I fell of a little and when I started tracking again, I lucked up on MFP searching for the nutritional value of something. This is the best thing that could have happened to me. I have changed my outllook on things, I no longer say that I am on a diet, I am making a lifestyle change. I love the challenges, especially the biggest loser, it keeps me motivated, even when I fall off.

I am looking forward to our new team. Now moving on to week #9

3/4 days of exercise
    5 miles walking
    0/20 min of calisthenics
    5/5 lunches packed

current weight 169.8, down 4lbs woohoo!!! I am finally in the 160's :drinker:
  • stacyb99
    stacyb99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello All, wish I could report a bigger lose, but a lose is a lose-- down .02 to 162.4

5/7 days of exercise
    10 miles walking
    5/5 lunches packed
  • adancer59
    Options
    It looks like we've all had pretty good weeks! Hopefully, we will hear from Kim, Linda, and Kasi soon :)

Today was good day for me. I made it to the gym, biked for 35 minutes, and did some strength training!

1/4 days of exercise
    10.31 miles biking
    no fitness test yet
    1/7 days with increased water
  • mjharman
    Options
    WOW! Awesome workout day, Alison! :noway:
    And Stacyb99 - every little bit helps you get closer to your goal! Keep up the GREAT WORK!

I made it to Zumba last night...late because of work...so I only got 40 minutes in... :mad: ...but decided not to stay for my usual Monday yoga class because, after walking the 7.5 miles around Salem Lake yesterday, I am totally behind on my housework. BUT, of course, I get home and I'm tired and all I accomplished was ONE (count 'em) ONE load of laundry... :ohwell: I should have just stayed for the yoga class...I always come out of there feeling so relaxed!

My husband and I are planning a mini-vacation to Williamsburg in a couple of weeks. It will be my first vacation since starting this journey...I'm kind of nervous... :huh:

So...my totals for yesterday...
    1/4 days of exercise
    4.54 miles walking
    no fitness test yet
    1/7 days of increased water...I must admit, this has been a weakness of mine!

Have a GREAT TUESDAY!
    ~Marsha
  • TayPat24
    Options
    good afternoon all!

So here are my stats so far

1/4 days of exercise
    no fitness test yet
    2/7 days of increased water

I did a resistance training circuit today, something new that I am trying out.
    Tomorrow I am planning on going for a run (or walk depending on if it is still
    so humid tomorrow)

I hope you all have a fabulous night!
  • Ljsiegel
    Ljsiegel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm back!

Last week was so-so. I was up about 1.5lbs for last week but am probably down that again by now. It's interesting how quickly I can lose some water weight. I completed a dietbet game last week (you bet you will lose 4% in 4 weeks). I was up 1.5lbs on the weigh-in morning but then did a 50 minute treadmill workout and sat in the sauna and was down about 2lbs. It made me realize not to worry about a 1-2 lb fluctuation and focus on the long term behavior changes.

Yesterday I did a session with my personal trainer (I'm bartering with her so am getting 2 sessions a week). It was mostly a strength workout. I missed my spin class yesterday but went to one this morning (burned about 450 calories).

I haven't done the fitness test yet but will try to do that tomorrow. I've been drinking a lot of water (love the sodastream!) I'm trying to incorporate more veggies and had a BIG kale salad for lunch today.

This week is a little stressful as I have a big proposal to finish by thursday -- and I'm noticing my old anxiety responses and food urges -- especially if I don't exercise.

Linda
  • adancer59
    Options
    Two Mini NSVs:
    I actually wanted to go to the gym yesterday!
    This morning I had to use different clasps on my bra!

Anyway, this week has gotten off to a great start! I'm finally motivated to complete my work for school again, and I have been really good with food and exercise. I'm hoping to finish this week strong because next week I will be on vacation. Luckily, it should be a pretty active vacation. I'm going camping with my boyfriend for a week at Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Unluckily, our campfire food probably won't be quite as healthy as we've been eating at home.

2/4 days of exercise
    20.96 miles biking
    No exercise test yet - I'm doing it tonight!
    2/7 days with extra water