Gaining muscle while dropping fat

Options
RockstarWilson
RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Well, the time has come for me to start to strength training. I have almost reached my first goal weight (one I set two years ago- 180 lbs down from 210). It has been a battle, but also an educational process. Nutritional science is now my #1 hobby.

I will be training for a Spartan Beast come Halloween, and I will not be worried about weight so much as body composition. I have reaearched keto and what is necessary to maintain ketosis, my body is always very well keto adapted (I hardly ever get the "flu" symptoms).

I have a rigorous class schedule at ASU: some days, I will be required to go 8-12 hours without food, as I have classes back to back, unless of course I want to carry food around with me, which I do not.

I have been researching protein, protein synthesis, leucine and gaining lean body mass while burning fat at the same time. I don't know if you have heard of Dr. Donald Layman, Professor Emeritus at Illinois University, but I am very interested in his research on protein synthesis. He agrees with the low carb community, that carbs need to be restricted. But he has a differing theory with the keto/lc clan on protein intake.

His hypothesis is that for optimum protein synthesis, specific amounts of protein must be consumed at each meal, and that these amounts are independent of calorie intake (or, how much the deficit is). He says that it is very common in weight loss to lose a great deal of LBM because people dont pay enough attention to protein intake, i.e. they will eat 75% of it at bedtime instead of spacing it out during the day, combined with making it a percentage of their calories instead of a constant amount based on activity level.

I am trying to find information on how I can ingest protein (with a few carbs) so that it contributes to protein synthesis most, gets used for energy less, and can help my body remain in a ketogenic state.

I have done some searching, and I plan to do more today. Since this is a new subject area, I do not anticipate finding much, but any input is appreciated.

Starting next week, I will be doing two-a-days (strength/areobic) about 3 days per week. I have access to protein-rich dairy, meats, and Muscle Milk protein (it has ideal levels of protein, fat, carbs, and leucine). My focus will not be losing weight, but I will be using weight as a control. I will not be able to measure ketones, as I cannot afford the test strips for my meter, nor do I have any precise way to measure body fat (donations gladly accepted! I am a broke college student! :smile: )

Any suggestions, testimonies, or links would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 130 net pounds

Added about 20 lbs of muscle in two years

I eat 50% or more in protein, eat very close to maintenance calories and do long cardio while fasted to burn off fat

I have food in me pre and post lifting, but do long bike rides with min 6 hours since last meal.

It works

Fat adapted cardio is basically my methodology
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I posted and linked to dr layman's interesting lecture about protein synthesis and the 30g minimum last fall here in this group. I do not agree with him about «throughout the day» intake for gen pop. Maybe if you're bulking madly, yes, but not for cutting. A frequent intake will put body in fed state like snacks.

I did start with the <30g rule/meal sometime in Nov/Dec? I also ramped up exercise volume at that time, mainly hilly walking. The combo of LCHF, IF, protein count and exercise HAS led to a slow recomp where I've noobgained muscle and lost sizes since Nov/Dec 2014. I suspect noobgains is big part, it may/may not work for someone more used to gaining muscle. I'm doing highly tailored stack of protocols that works for ME. Nutrition partitioning is what you may wanna look into.