Trying to reset my menus using the JAMA suggestions.

Options
amflautist
amflautist Posts: 941 Member
I have been reading. Research papers. Trying to understand if it is possible to stay healthy longer by eating the right foods.

The latest research, published in May in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association: JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(5):767-776.), says that YES, it is! This research study is the best yet available. The number of participants in the study was huge – 77,659. The time frame was significant – 7.3 years. And the study design allowed the researchers to independently test whether there was any difference in cancer for the following eating patterns.

nonvegetarian vs vegan vs lacto-ovo-vegetarian vs pescovegetarian vs semivegetarian

RESULTS: During a mean follow-up of 7.3 years, 380 cases of colon cancer and 110 cases of rectal cancer were documented. The adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) in all vegetarians combined vs nonvegetarians were 0.78 (95% CI, 0.64-0.95) for all colorectal cancers, 0.81 (95% CI, 0.65-1.00) for colon cancer, and 0.71 (95% CI, 0.47-1.06) for rectal cancer. The adjusted HR for colorectal cancer in vegans was 0.84 (95% CI, 0.59-1.19); in lacto-ovo vegetarians, 0.82 (95% CI, 0.65-1.02); in pescovegetarians, 0.57 (95% CI, 0.40-0.82); and in semivegetarians, 0.92 (95% CI, 0.62-1.37) compared with nonvegetarians. Effect estimates were similar for men and women and for black and nonblack individuals.

In other words, the probability of getting colorectal cancer (second leading cause of cancer death after lung cancer), for various vegetarians vs nonvegetarians is as follows

vegan vs nonvegetarian – reduction in cancer risk by 16%
lacto-ovo-vegetarian vs nonvegetarian – reduction by 18%
pescovegetarian vs nonvegetarian – reduction by 43%
semivegetarian vs nonvegetarian – reduction by 8%

WOW! This says eat a vegan diet plus fish! Get rid of other animal products. That’s what I’m going to try to do.

Replies

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My first attempt. Last weekend, for a luncheon party, (DH informed me of this on Thursday!), I picked a lot of chard and zucchini from our garden and made this tart.

24recipehealth_600-articleLarge.jpg
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012594-provencal-zucchini-and-swiss-chard-tart

It was a huge success. However, the recipe calls for 3 eggs and a lot of cheese. After reading about the correlation between eating animal products and cancer, I made the recipe a second time, substituting tofu for the eggs, and ground cashews for the cheese. I also omitted the crust. Success! Not at all hard.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Very very interesting. Thank you for the research.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump, that tart is just too lovely to be forgotten in the back of the listings.