ketosis

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
i've been searching through the list to find this answered, but so far, no luck. (if it has been answered, feel free to share the link. i don't mean to be a bother.)

i have been eating LC now (between 20 and 30 net carbs each day) for about two months. every time i check my little keto stick thingy, it only says i am in trace ketosis (5ml.) i never budge from the beige into pink.

1) is this why i lose weight so slowly? it is coming off, but like a pound every two weeks (and i have a lot to lose.)

2) i don't realistically see myself eating all meat, all the time (remember, i don't eat pork, much fish, or tons of beef.) does it really matter if i don't go into full-tilt ketosis?

TIA.

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is from calorie deficit. Are you eating at a deficit? Accurately weighing an logging all your foods? If you are doing 'lazy keto' (just counting carbs, not calories) and not losing at the pace you'd like then you'll need to weigh/log and see what calories you can cut.

From what I've read, the ketostix only measure excess ketones and those don't matter. Just keep carbs to 20-30 net and you are in ketosis.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    i am counting calories. most days, i stay below 1500. i know i have to because snacking is my downfall and i could eat all my calories snacking if left to my own devices ;-)
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Stop counting net carbs and count total carbs. Net carbs poorly done is the main reason for 'carb creep'. Once you hit your goals slowly add back in carbs and see how your body does.

In my opinion this way of eating is NOT easy without the wonderful benefits of dietary ketosis. Dancing around the edges seems to my observation to be counterproductive - especially long term.

Oh - and it is not just the calorie restriction that causes weight loss. When you are fully keto adapted your body processes your intake differently and can release your fat stores easier - especially if you are insulin resistant.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    well, i do count total carbs in my diary -- and those are usually 30-50 depending on the day. i just know my goal is net carbs, so i just do the math :-)

what is "net carbs done poorly"? do you mean eating certain foods (like dairy, for example)? or something else? (asking seriously, as i am trying to figure this out. :-)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    1) is this why i lose weight so slowly? it is coming off, but like a pound every two weeks (and i have a lot to lose.).

What's your weekly caloric deficit?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    get under 20 grams of carbohydrates/day, eat protein to about 0.9 % of your lean body mass per day, and come to about 70% of your daily calorie intake as fats, and you should hit ketosis. especially in the beginning, ketostix should show your in the middle range in ketosis. But also, with you rations in order, you hit ketosis. 30 - 50 g carbohydrates may be too high for your metabolism. A day of fasting will also get you into ketosis. Or you could jumpstart by taking exogenous ketones. But then too, you'll have to stay at 20g for a good while.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My ketostix have never gone above small and mostly stay in trace, even on days when I've eaten nothing but meat. I know I'm in ketosis because my mouth has the funny taste and I have the other benefits. Ketostix are known to be an inaccurate tool so as long as they show trace I'm fine with it. It still means I'm in ketosis. I was told it's like a pregnancy test; either you are or you aren't. Not sure if that's the case.... but I don't pay the sticks much attention anymore. I've only lost 15 lbs in two months, but I've just accepted that it's coming off and there isn't much I can do to force it to go faster.

You don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight though. I'd double check your calories and watch for carb creep. I try to stay under 20 grams net carbs a day with most of them coming from veggies , but occasionally go up to 25 with total carbs around 30 or so. Usually my calories are between 1200-1300 most days, mainly because I'm just not hungry (which is another way I'm sure I'm in ketosis).

Save for today, today I'm just ravenous. I think it's my TOM causing it.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    i've been searching through the list to find this answered, but so far, no luck. (if it has been answered, feel free to share the link. i don't mean to be a bother.)

i have been eating LC now (between 20 and 30 net carbs each day) for about two months. every time i check my little keto stick thingy, it only says i am in trace ketosis (5ml.) i never budge from the beige into pink.

1) is this why i lose weight so slowly? it is coming off, but like a pound every two weeks (and i have a lot to lose.)

2) i don't realistically see myself eating all meat, all the time (remember, i don't eat pork, much fish, or tons of beef.) does it really matter if i don't go into full-tilt ketosis?

TIA.

Some ppl say ketostix work for them and some don't. I don't really know but they work for me. That's all I know.

When I'm eating really well (LCHF) they are always medium to dark. I know not dehydrated cause I've had ppl (killjoys) tell me they only work cause I'm dehydrated.

When I cheat really bad for a day, they go negative and eventually trace. When I go off diet for one meal but get right back on the next meal, they are light the next day and soon back into med/high range.

IDK if upping calories affects them because after years of being told to count calories and that I was cheating when I didn't lose weight (I wasn't), I have a strong aversion to counting calories EVER again. If I stop losing I up my fats, and it always seems to work. Plus, checking for hidden carbs.

I don't think I could "mentally" trick a stick into changing color if the readings I was getting we're not accurate and I find them to be right in line with what they should be. I'm always bummed for ppl they don't work for. :( that stinks. I think it's just one of those "results will vary" things.

I have a lot to lose (around 100 pounds total). Maybe that plays in? I'm killing a lot of fat cells so a lot of fat cells are releasing the keytones as they perish?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Weight loss is from calorie deficit. Are you eating at a deficit? Accurately weighing an logging all your foods? If you are doing 'lazy keto' (just counting carbs, not calories) and not losing at the pace you'd like then you'll need to weigh/log and see what calories you can cut.

From what I've read, the ketostix only measure excess ketones and those don't matter. Just keep carbs to 20-30 net and you are in ketosis.

I take offense at your "lazy keto" remark. You do not need to count calories to lose weight but thanks for your opinion. There's mine.

Down 42 pounds and off diabetic meds.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    get under 20 grams of carbohydrates/day, eat protein to about 0.9 % of your lean body mass per day, and come to about 70% of your daily calorie intake as fats, and you should hit ketosis. especially in the beginning, ketostix should show your in the middle range in ketosis. But also, with you rations in order, you hit ketosis. 30 - 50 g carbohydrates may be too high for your metabolism. A day of fasting will also get you into ketosis. Or you could jumpstart by taking exogenous ketones. But then too, you'll have to stay at 20g for a good while.

That's true too. Also you COULD try a fat fast. That's a trick Dr. Atkins used to get into ketosis fast or break a stall. It's hard to do, tho.

You eat one ounce of plain cream cheese five times a day and nothing else but water. Do this for no more than two days he said. It does work, I've used it to break a stall. But it's awful.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    My ketostix have never gone above small and mostly stay in trace, even on days when I've eaten nothing but meat. I know I'm in ketosis because my mouth has the funny taste and I have the other benefits. Ketostix are known to be an inaccurate tool so as long as they show trace I'm fine with it. It still means I'm in ketosis. I was told it's like a pregnancy test; either you are or you aren't. Not sure if that's the case.... but I don't pay the sticks much attention anymore. I've only lost 15 lbs in two months, but I've just accepted that it's coming off and there isn't much I can do to force it to go faster.

You don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight though. I'd double check your calories and watch for carb creep. I try to stay under 20 grams net carbs a day with most of them coming from veggies , but occasionally go up to 25 with total carbs around 30 or so. Usually my calories are between 1200-1300 most days, mainly because I'm just not hungry (which is another way I'm sure I'm in ketosis).

Totally agree. Any color is good color. You're burning fat!! What's not good about that? Mine happen to be dark but I've known ppl losing just as much on lighter colors. Any color is good color. The pregnancy analogy is a good one.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've read in a couple of places that when keto adapted and your body is using fats rather than carbs, you will show less in your urine. This is one of the places I saw it.
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/
    I still test every morning. I normally run small to medium. I sometimes run trace. I'm good as long as it shows some ketones.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I did not lose even 1 pound for the first 6 weeks but did lose some inches some how. Eating at 2600 calories I lose about 3 pounds a month on average but I stop and maintain this time after every 10-15 pound loss.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you are eating that low on carbs you are in ketosis. The sticks only measure excess ketones and only those that are expelled through urine. I blood ketone meter would be more accurate, but not necessary. Your body will produce ketones at less that 100g a day even, and it sounds you are well below that. As you become more adapted to burning fat, the longer you are low carb, the less excess ketones you will produce. Your body, in the beginning of lc takes some time to adapt to not having all the carbs it used to, at first it us producing a ton of excess ketones than adapts, so your keto sticks may show less and less even no ketones.

While it is not necessary to count calories to lose weight, it is necessary to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Ketosis is a very easy way to be in a caloric deficit without counting calories as you will not feel hunger the same way you used to. Make sure you are eating enough protein, I've had much better success when increasing my protein level.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    I've read in a couple of places that when keto adapted and your body is using fats rather than carbs, you will show less in your urine. This is one of the places I saw it.
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/
    I still test every morning. I normally run small to medium. I sometimes run trace. I'm good as long as it shows some ketones.

I also read the opposite, that even if you're ketosis adapted, there will be excess acetone your body secretes.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I take offense at your "lazy keto" remark.

Really though, that's what they call it in the keto community. Just counting carbs is called "lazy keto."

To some it has a negative connotation maybe. I suppose they could have gone the other way and labeled the loggers as "OCD-keto" instead. But that's how the dust settled. Whatever works, right? Lazy keto works great for some. Some it doesn't. I lost weight just counting carbs for 3 mo then stopped losing. I gain a couple pounds and then maintain when I do "lazy keto.".

I also read the opposite, that even if you're ketosis adapted, there will be excess acetone your body secretes.

Yes. There will be acetone. That is expelled through the breath though.

Ketosis produces three different ketone types. Acetoactetate in the urine, acetone in the breath, BOHB (betahyrdroxybutarate) in the blood.

As one becomes keto-adapted, the body produces much less acetoacetate in the urine, because your body is then efficient and isn't spilling any. There aren't always leftovers, so to speak. Acetone is always measurable in the breath and BOHB in the blood. So once adaptation occurs, you'll only be able to get consistent affirmation of ketosis through measuring with a Ketonix (or some similar) breath analyser or a blood ketone meter.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    True about breath too. Some ppl excrete them via breath or sweat even, so... As long as you're losing (if that's your goal) or keeping sugars low (if that's you're goal) I wouldn't get hung up on them. However. Sugar alcohols are not counted right in net carb totals IMO. My net carb is carb minus fiber only. I count every "sugar alcohol carb" mostly as a mental thing to discourage myself from eating them.

@baconslave thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of that. It's still offensive! Lol. OCD doesn't really cover it, maybe overbearing keto. ;) unnecessary keto. Stress inducing keto. Hangry keto. Yeah, I like that one.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

15 pounds in two months is almost 2 pound per week. That is not slow at all... I guess the whoosh you had at first must have spoiled you, because there are many of us losing much slower that would KILL at burger to being losing at nearly 2 pounds a week! Congrats on your losses regardless.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And I by no means am complaining about 2 lbs a week. Just in comparison to the last time I did LCHF, I am losing a lot slower. Didn't think 5 years would make much difference on my metabolism, but boy was I wrong. As said, the number is going down and as long as it continues to do so, no complaints here. I just get impatient, as I'm sure most everyone does at times. Not sure why. It's definitely not a race by any means. :)
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

15 pounds in two months is almost 2 pound per week. That is not slow at all... I guess the whoosh you had at first must have spoiled you, because there are many of us losing much slower that would KILL at burger to being losing at nearly 2 pounds a week! Congrats on your losses regardless.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I take offense at your "lazy keto" remark.

Really though, that's what they call it in the keto community. Just counting carbs is called "lazy keto."

To some it has a negative connotation maybe. I suppose they could have gone the other way and labeled the loggers as "OCD-keto" instead. But that's how the dust settled. Whatever works, right? Lazy keto works great for some. Some it doesn't. I lost weight just counting carbs for 3 mo then stopped losing. I gain a couple pounds and then maintain when I do "lazy keto.".

Yes. There will be acetone. That is expelled through the breath though.

Ketosis produces three different ketone types. Acetoactetate in the urine, acetone in the breath, BOHB (betahyrdroxybutarate) in the blood.

As one becomes keto-adapted, the body produces much less acetoacetate in the urine, because your body is then efficient and isn't spilling any. There aren't always leftovers, so to speak. Acetone is always measurable in the breath and BOHB in the blood. So once adaptation occurs, you'll only be able to get consistent affirmation of ketosis through measuring with a Ketonix (or some similar) breath analyser or a blood ketone meter.

ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Police-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Analyzer-Detector-Breathalyzer-Advanced-/311159276709?hash=item487289c4a5

While I have the blood meter the above meter is what I use daily to make sure I am in ketosis and at what relative. Ketonix used the same type acetone detection system from what I read but they use lights vs digital readers. These digital acetone detectors use 3 AAA batteries and need 15 seconds to warm up. I have three and they all give different readings but each meter is consistent. The do not correlate 1:1 with my Precision Xtra blood ketone meter because they are not measuring the same type of ketones. I never did get a Ketonix due to the price being more than for the digital version but I know some here use them as a go-no meter like I use the $15 one above off e-Bay.