edited August 2015
    Options
    Yikes !!!

Kentucky Fry that!!!
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I found "whole" wings, which I guess has the upper arm/wing drummie thing attached, on sale for $1.50 per pound, normal price was $3/pound or something. Didn't get them, because they were close to date and I didn't know when we might cook them. But if you watch, you can find sales, depending on store. That was Walmart, Pilgrim's Pride brand, I think.

I buy close-to-date meat on sale all the time! I just throw it in the freezer as soon as I get home and then take it out when I know I will use it the same day. Great way to save money IMO. :)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I found "whole" wings, which I guess has the upper arm/wing drummie thing attached, on sale for $1.50 per pound, normal price was $3/pound or something. Didn't get them, because they were close to date and I didn't know when we might cook them. But if you watch, you can find sales, depending on store. That was Walmart, Pilgrim's Pride brand, I think.

I buy close-to-date meat on sale all the time! I just throw it in the freezer as soon as I get home and then take it out when I know I will use it the same day. Great way to save money IMO. :)

Me, too, but my freezer is mostly full! LOL
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Seek out the organically raised chicken and pay a few bucks more when you can.
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

I call them Franken-chickens
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hilarioius! these comments made me laugh :)
    i find the farm market chicken exorbitantly expensive. Try to search an asian halaal meat shop in your neighbourbood. Chicken, and Lamb (if I like them) is much cheaper and freshly cut. I live in Pensylvannia, and I have found a very good place 40 mins from my house
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    simbartes wrote: »
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Seek out the organically raised chicken and pay a few bucks more when you can.
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

I call them Franken-chickens

Since I was in the 1st and 2nd grades in 1957 this graph may apply to the kid's sizes on the playground as well during these eras.

• Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Since I was in the 1st and 2nd grades in 1957 this graph may apply to the kid's sizes on the playground as well during these eras.

Sad but true.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I do the same, but I have a daughter who has a fit when she sees the date on the meat as she pulls it from the freezer - "These are expired!" :#
    SMH, but they have been frozen!!! Heavy sigh... life with an OCD person.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I do the same, but I have a daughter who has a fit when she sees the date on the meat as she pulls it from the freezer - "These are expired!" :#
    SMH, but they have been frozen!!! Heavy sigh... life with an OCD person.

Solution - which I know I should do but generally don't - repackage your product to be safely frozen, and remove the original tags. Put frozen on date as your label. Agree to throw them out with freezer burn of at 1 year old , etc...
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, I buy bulk and freeze in sandwich bags. No date label. But we only have a small freezer on top of the fridge and generally buy all our meat for a fortnight, so it doesn't really sit there long.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I freeze a lot of meat when I find it on sale. My biggest challenge is putting something out to thaw, lol! Then I have to run to the store. I'm working on getting better!