New Study on diabetes and bone health - Important!!

Options

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    That's scary! Is this (or, for that matter, any other complication) preventable, or are we doomed?
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well, it says that good sugar control is helpful. I think that this gives as another reason to exercise because exercise helps build strong bones.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I also think that those diabetics who obtain good control are far less likely to be affected by these complications. We need to take this as a challenge and an opportunity to become more healthy!!
  • zcb94
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ah. Very interesting indeed. I know I'm off-topic here, but what about the other scary consequences (neuropathy, blindness, blood issues, EARLY DEATH, etc.)? Are those preventable for diabetics at all?
  • zcb94
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    I also think that those diabetics who obtain good control are far less likely to be affected by these complications. We need to take this as a challenge and an opportunity to become more healthy!!
    Oh ok. That's encouraging!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Ah. Very interesting indeed. I know I'm off-topic here, but what about the other scary consequences (neuropathy, blindness, blood issues, EARLY DEATH, etc.)? Are those preventable for diabetics at all?

Sure thing, they're preventable. Take it from me, poor control WILL bring on that stuff in time.
    Remember the saying: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you sharing this study. Explains a lot from the personal perspective! One more reminder to exercise while load bearing. Good thing I made myself get on the treadmill this evening.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Nothing to get alarmed about. The study participants, mice, were type 1 diabetics.

Here's are list of professional athletes that some how managed keep their fragile bones intact:
    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/famous_people/sports

Maintain control of your bgl and exercise on a regular basis. If your a mouse with type 1 diabetes you need to step up your game.