In need of some tough love

Options
nannersp61
nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
I am in a funk. I haven't gone to the gym in a week. My eating is suffering. I missed two days at the beginning of last week logging food. Of course the weight loss has stalled. I just can't seem to get going lately. Tired, sluggish, with a "meh" attitude ever since Biggest Loser season 19 quit. I cannot keep this up, I still have miles to go before I get to my goals and my son's wedding in October. I did a vegetable cleanse last week, lost some, gained some. So... any suggestions for getting back in gear?

Replies

• ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bit of a funk too...but my suggestion is to make yourself accountable. tell a friend "I will go to the gym at x time today" and check in afterward to say you've done it. Find a couple new healthy recipes to try so you have something healthy to be excited about, and go buy the stuff to make it. Try a new class at the gym, or set yourself a goal to build up to in your workouts (not sure what kind you do, so it's hard to suggest something - but maybe a higher weight, more reps, quicker heart rate recovery, longer distance, etc). I'm happy to touch base with you daily if you want an accountability partner. I could use one too, right now!
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Lofty, unachievable goals that you fail to reach only serve to make you feel bad. I'm learning to aim small and to be pleased when I exceed my own expectations eg. I aim to walk 40 minutes a day and then feel good when I end up walking an hour or more by jumping off buses early. I don't feel bad I had pasta for dinner tonight- I slashed the calories by having a weighed portion of wholewheat pasta cut with a courgette/zucchini. Had parmesan on it too. I look at the success stories and before/after pics to give me that push when I feel like packing it in. I think, there's no reason in the world that can't be me in 6 months time. Because I want it, I get on with it. I am a strong woman, in control. I will get rid of bad habits and create new, better habits. I will give myself the best chance I can at a long and healthy life by eating well, eating less and moving more. When I fall, I will forgive myself and get back on track. Whatever's clicked this time for me, it seems to be working.
  • nannersp61
    Options
    Thank you, @ewoksrule3 and @WicklowWanderer for your encouraging words and suggestions. I ended up walking for an hour at the gym. I had two home cooked meals today and my calories are under 900, so I will have one more small meal tonight to finish out the day, a Greek yogurt smoothie with peaches. I like your affirmation Wicklow, I think I will make a poster of it and post it where I can read it daily.
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    Great job getting it done today! There's your first step back on the path you want for yourself! :) just take another one tomorrow!
  • nannersp61
    Options
    I went back to the gym Wednesday and did 3 more miles on the treadmill. I did 30 minutes of circuit training(shoulder and chest press, biceps curls, leg extensions, standing leg curls, seated leg curls and calf machine. Most were 40#/40 r each.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I had jaw surgery three weeks ago today.Even though I feel fine,my motivation to go to the gym has completely stalled. Even my evening walks are beginning to be suffer. I hope I snap out of this soon. The good part is though,I really cant eat much more than pudding lol. Anyway,I will keep an eye on this thread for motivational ideas.Good luck OP!
  • nannersp61
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    I had jaw surgery three weeks ago today.Even though I feel fine,my motivation to go to the gym has completely stalled. Even my evening walks are beginning to be suffer. I hope I snap out of this soon. The good part is though,I really cant eat much more than pudding lol. Anyway,I will keep an eye on this thread for motivational ideas.Good luck OP!

That sounds difficult. So are you getting good nutrition during this time? Do you juice? There is a good juicing recipe on another thread on here. The day one vegetable cleanse is quite good. Get yourself some protein powder as well. I like Muscle milk pro 50, you get great taste, it's not grainy and gives your 25 grams of protein per scoop. That should give you the nutrition you need to heal quicker as well as the energy you need to be able to get your workouts done.
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    Great job, nannersp61! Sounds like you've got a couple steps into getting right back on track, which is awesome. :)

Yoshirio - it's tough exercising when you don't feel very well. I've got some knee problems and have had a really stiff neck all week, and I haven't been feeling like doing it at all. But 90% of the time I feel better after I get a little exercise, and 100% of the time I'm proud that I did it even when I didn't feel like it. You can do it! I don't know how much your jaw surgery affects your ability to exercise, but keep doing whatever your body is able to and be proud of yourself that you're still trying even though it's hard and not fun!
  • Yoshirio
    Options
    nannersp61 wrote: »
    Yoshirio wrote: »

That sounds difficult. So are you getting good nutrition during this time? Do you juice? There is a good juicing recipe on another thread on here. The day one vegetable cleanse is quite good. Get yourself some protein powder as well. I like Muscle milk pro 50, you get great taste, it's not grainy and gives your 25 grams of protein per scoop. That should give you the nutrition you need to heal quicker as well as the energy you need to be able to get your workouts done.

Yeah I drink a lot of protein drinks and take vitamins. I juice all my veggies since I can't eat them otherwise.I eat pudding,applesauce,cottage cheese yogurt,mashed potatoes,rice... it hasn't been too different than what I normally eat. I can finally eat meat and chicken again,just have to chop it up real small and take small bites.I basically can't chew anything,period. So if I can swallow it safely without chewing,I can eat it.
  • Yoshirio
    Options
    ewoksrule3 wrote: »
    Great job, nannersp61! Sounds like you've got a couple steps into getting right back on track, which is awesome. :)

Yoshirio - it's tough exercising when you don't feel very well. I've got some knee problems and have had a really stiff neck all week, and I haven't been feeling like doing it at all. But 90% of the time I feel better after I get a little exercise, and 100% of the time I'm proud that I did it even when I didn't feel like it. You can do it! I don't know how much your jaw surgery affects your ability to exercise, but keep doing whatever your body is able to and be proud of yourself that you're still trying even though it's hard and not fun!

I always feel better after I do it,so I know what you mean. I think I just got out of routine while healing.The first week was rough,so my best bet was to do nothing and just lay in bed. Think I may have gotten a bit lazy.

Right now I am about to go for a 4.5 mile walk on a new route I wanted to try,so let's hope I make it,lol.

• MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! I so know what you mean. I get discouraged and lose momentum. It really sucks. So here is my advice:

Do WHATEVER it takes to get yourself PUMPED UP! My tagline on my bio page is "I am FIERCE! I am STRONG!" Wanna' know why? Cause that's what I want to be! Whenever I am not "feeling it" I have to tell myself that over and over again. Also, I play music to get pumped up for working out...it really helps me. Figure out what gets you going and do it!

Think of your goals and repeat them to yourself regularly..."I want to be FIT! I want to feel ENERGIZED." Then go out and DO whatever a fit and energized person does! Did you know that there have been studies that show that we take on the feelings that we act out? Don't feel loving towards someone? Act in a loving way and you will start to feel more loving. People who dress more professionally actually start to behave more professionally and have success. Start ACTING like a fit person and you will become a fit person!

Do some SERIOUS self talk. When you hear yourself thinking, "I am tired of all this work. I don't feel like it." Turn around and tell yourself, "TOUGH! If I don't do the work, I won't see the results, and dang it! I want to feel good about myself so I WILL do what it takes!!"

Try not to think too hard about the long road ahead. A marathon is run one step at a time. Just focus on the next step. Constantly ask yourself "Is this (action or food) taking me closer to my goal or further away from my goal?" Does sitting on the couch take me closer or further away from my goal? Okay, let's get up and move! Does eating this salad instead of a gallon of ice cream take me closer or further away from my goal? Okay, let's suck it up, put away the ice cream and eat the salad because I want to feel healthy and vibrant!

YOU ARE FIERCE! YOU ARE STRONG! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

stay-strong.jpg
  • enigmarm
    enigmarm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What helps me when in a slump: stick to a schedule.
    Log your food at a set time each day. I have better luck when I log food multiple times a day (rather than just at the end).
    Set a specific time/place to work out. Don't let things get in your way.

Sometimes this approach will just feel like going through the motions. Some call it fake it til you make it. However, in my opinion, it's the process to start developing habits.
  • nannersp61
    Options
    Great comments everyone!
    On another note, my day consisted of walking 4+ miles shopping for dresses to wear for the week I go to California for my son's wedding. I actually found 3 and a pair of cute, strappy sandles. The dresses were on final clearance and with a 50% off Red-lined clearance coupon, I spent less than $45 for all three!
    I ended my day (sadly) by stubbing the ring toe on my left foot. I heard a crack, and realised I broke it(2nd time , different place). This means no more walking for exercise for a while. I have it wrapped to the middle toe and am icing it as I type. Hope it heals well enough for me to be able to wear heels by October 3 rd.
  • nannersp61
    Options
    I got my gym workout done, 7 miles on stationary bike and circuit training: ab crunch machine, back extension, hip abductor/adductor, pect fly/ rear delt machine, assisted pull ups and assisted dips. Upped my reps from 40-60 today.
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    Great job! It's no fun working around an injury, so good for you for keeping up with what you can still do. :) I took today off so I could visit my Grampa and still end up with a normal length weekend, and I did my workout before leaving this morning...then went to pick out a new bed this evening. So it's been a long day! All good things, though. :)
  • Alex_or_Ben
    Alex_or_Ben Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MicheleStiches, you talk about mindful eating basically, being aware of what you're eating and how you're eating it. I have been reading a book about mindfulness and while I practice doing that, it does help me become more aware of myself which helps a lot to become happier.