Question about hair texture (women)

Options
bm1409
bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
This maybe a off beat question...but has anyone noticed a difference in the texture of their hair? I use to have the best hair. Not too thin, not to thick, straight but would hold a curl, etc. I am not sure if its menopause related (hormones) but the texture of my hair has changed dramatically. When I first wash it and its wet, it looks like I had a perm/wave. After it dries it looks frizzy. So far I haven't found a conditioner or hair product that will help. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and wondered if anyone has found a solution. I thought about trying that Wenn shampoo to see if that helps. Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    This maybe a off beat question...but has anyone noticed a difference in the texture of their hair? I use to have the best hair. Not too thin, not to thick, straight but would hold a curl, etc. I am not sure if its menopause related (hormones) but the texture of my hair has changed dramatically. When I first wash it and its wet, it looks like I had a perm/wave. After it dries it looks frizzy. So far I haven't found a conditioner or hair product that will help. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and wondered if anyone has found a solution. I thought about trying that Wenn shampoo to see if that helps. Has anyone tried it?

I have about half dark brown very fine hair and half silver much coarser hair so I guess the answer is yes. Instead of just coming in with the same texture in a different color, instead I seem to have two very distinct types of hair on my head. They are often at war, too! :smile:

My hairdresser says that it is quite common for this to happen. I'm not sure if the color as well as the texture has changed for you so I am not sure if I've helped at all! As for products, nothing seems to help and I live in Florida so humidity is always a problem and frizz is a way of life.
  • bm1409
    Options
    Crazy huh! I didn't get a different color, just course hair. When it first happened it was in the back of my hair so I didn't pay attention to it to much. My daughter would comment about it. Then it just took over. Whats funny (not ha ha funny) my daughter who is 34 has one streak of course hair. My hairdresser says I should just wear it scrunchy, which I would except all the products I have tried makes my hair feel stiff. I hope someone knows of a product that well help.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I assume it's age related. I don't want to use a bunch of different products on my hair so I sort of work with what I have.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »

When I first started eating at a deficit and swimming in the gym pool I had a lot of trouble with my hair. I think part of it was the deficit (a little too big but I learned) and part of it was the chlorine. I began using GNC's Hair, Skin and Nail Formula (I buy it on Amazon) along with a little Moroccan oil and now my hair is pretty much back to normal. I have thick curly hair, although you wouldn't know it from any of my profile pics.......I blow dry it straight. Sometimes it lasts and sometimes it goes crazy despite my best efforts....LOL

Another trick I learned because I workout so much and end up taking so many showers is to not wash my hair as often.....sometimes I just use a little conditioner on it. On days I swim I end up showering and getting my hair wet twice, not counting pool time..........ugggghhh.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    My hair has always been pretty thick, but it has gotten wavier as I aged. Not much gray yet, but definitely a little more frizz. Occasionally I use coconut oil to tame it, just not often b/c it is a pain to wash out. I also don't wash my hair everyday as it would definitely be worse. As a teenage it seemed to be oily every 20 minutes,
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    My hair has become possessed. The grays grow like mad and are a funky texture, my formerly thick lustrous hair is now thin and lank and barely shines anymore. I think I need a couple of weeks of Neutrogena's Clarifying shampoo to put it back into something that doesn't annoy me. I used to use this amazing shampoo from Seashore called Jonathan. It made my hair look like it never did before. Bit it was $20 a bottle and now I haven't seen it in a while so...
  • bm1409
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    My hair has become possessed. The grays grow like mad and are a funky texture, my formerly thick lustrous hair is now thin and lank and barely shines anymore. I think I need a couple of weeks of Neutrogena's Clarifying shampoo to put it back into something that doesn't annoy me. I used to use this amazing shampoo from Seashore called Jonathan. It made my hair look like it never did before. Bit it was $20 a bottle and now I haven't seen it in a while so...

I am going to have to check on Amazon for the shampoo Jonathan. It sounds like this is common. I am not ready to give up on my hair yet....the search is on :)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This might not be relevant…

My hairdresser told me that hair texture like skin, etc. changes every 8 yrs. I was one of those people who gray early in life, 8th grade. I've been 100% gray for many years and color my hair. Right now, I'm going through menopause and noticed that it's changing my hair color, which is funny since the color hasn't changed in years. My hairdresser asked me if I was using new products or a rinse, but I haven't changed a thing.

I've noticed the products that I use from the towel to blow dryer to products make a huge difference. If I air-dry my hair it expanses, doesn't keep a wave and frizz. But if I use a hair towel/wrap and let it dry overnight it looks great. Use same products, a leave in conditioner and finishing spray.

It's almost like going through puberty again, lol.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Who needs a second puberty? And I hate autocorrect. Because the shampoo I used to use was at Sephora not Seashore. My hair is just unhappy. I am thinking of shaving it off and starting over but I have a lumpy head so would look really bad as a bald lady.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hair naturally gets coarser as we age. Hair doesn't have the same pigments and soft keratin as it did when we were younger so that affects the texture. My hair seems to get thicker every day (guess that's a good thing) and I was having some thinning done every other cut. Now my new stylist tells me that thinning the hair makes it even MORE coarse. UGH! I now only shampoo every 4 days and use a smoothing lotion/leave in conditioner when I blow dry. I hear apple cider vinegar rinses make it softer and shinier. Haven't tried that yet though.
  • bm1409
    Options
    Hair naturally gets coarser as we age. Hair doesn't have the same pigments and soft keratin as it did when we were younger so that affects the texture. My hair seems to get thicker every day (guess that's a good thing) and I was having some thinning done every other cut. Now my new stylist tells me that thinning the hair makes it even MORE coarse. UGH! I now only shampoo every 4 days and use a smoothing lotion/leave in conditioner when I blow dry. I hear apple cider vinegar rinses make it softer and shinier. Haven't tried that yet though.

I tired the apple cider vinegar and it didn't do anything for me except smell. I have also tried beer :) I think I am going to order the Wenn hair products and see if that works. Thanks everybody for your replies...I guess this is just a natural thing that happens ... which I am not happy with.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Mine got grey, and the brain under it got inflexible. Get off my lawn!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »

:smile:
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water spray on my hair. After I wash it I spray a small amount & run it through u hair. Dry it & them run a bit more through. It keeps my hair in good condition & no frizz.. Result
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I have been using a new shampoo this week. L'Oreal Evercreme Nourishing shampoo. It is a creamy texture and lathers beautifully. My hair has been much softer and shinier this week. We'll see.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,161 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I was just cutting through!
  • bm1409
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I use coconut water spray on my hair. After I wash it I spray a small amount & run it through u hair. Dry it & them run a bit more through. It keeps my hair in good condition & no frizz.. Result

I will have to try that, thanks!
  • bm1409
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I have been using a new shampoo this week. L'Oreal Evercreme Nourishing shampoo. It is a creamy texture and lathers beautifully. My hair has been much softer and shinier this week. We'll see.

Let know know how it works for you. I cant seem to find a shampoo I like yet. I have heard mixed reviews on the Wen products so I think I will pass on them. I think I will try the coconut water.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    How you getting on? did you try the coconut water spray?
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Ladies, that L'Oreal Evercream I was talking about is great! Been using it for a couple of weeks now and my hair is shinier, feels thicker, has a tad more body, feels softer and actually seems to stay cleaner longer. I recommend it highly. Available in drugstores and probably Target, etc.