Rest Days

Options
Heya!

I just finished W2D1 and I am feeling great! I am already noticing improvements :) Well...the other day I was out and about walking outside and I got an urge to just jog a wee bit and I ended up jogging half a mile without stopping. That is huge deal for me! With that said, that day was my rest day and I am not sure if that was a poor choice on my part since I should be allowing my body to recover, right? This brings me to my question.

What are some ways to stay active on the rest days that will not hinder my progress by not allowing the proper recovery time?

Thank you!

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    While I was doing C25K, I was doing strength training on the rest days. Nowadays, I do strength training or yoga on the days I don't run. Any upper body cardio workout will also help you to rest your legs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I typically do yoga on my off days. Keeps everything loose and work on some bodyweight work
  • frankie5152
    frankie5152 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do C25k monday, Wednesday, and friday. I do weight lifting tuesday - saturday. Also i coach pee wee football mon - Thursday and it tough chasing them around sometimes. Sundays i do as little as possible lol
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I do cycling on my non run days. I've also done some other cardio/ strength training in the past (zumba, boot camp, circuit training).
  • SimonT181
    SimonT181 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hate rest days and miss running,walking as I have the workout bug but know I need to do rest. I do my running on M,T,W and then I sneak back later in the week and this might be the issue and need to spread my workouts out. I am looking at yoga on rest days and also have an elliptical as well that helps me get my fix.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical on rest days. Love both exercises, running and elliptical. Need to add strength training, but that will happen after loosing some weight. No rush to impress :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    First don't worry about a half mile jog, I reffed and coached rugby whilst doing C25K, just don't accelerate the programme. As for what to do on rest days, walk, cycle, swim, nothing, weight training ( just watch leg routines). The importance is that whatever you do shouldn't stress your main running muscles, they need to get stronger. Well done on getting it done
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    All the advice is good. As long as you're listening to your body and not trying to speed through the program, pretty much anything that isn't running is ok as a rest day. When you're new to all this though, it is good to have a true 100% rest day every week. In 6 months or so, you could add a 4th day of running, after that it all depends on the program and your body.