Doc jacking around my diet

Options
ki4eld
ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
So, I've been happily low carb since my January RNY. I have occasional crazy carb days, like my birthday two weeks ago, but most days were 30-45g. In the last 2 months, I've gone full keto. If my net carbs make it to 30g, it's a high day. Yesterday, my net was 12g and that makes me happy.

Due to a requirement by my insurance company, my diary is open. Even if that weren't a requirement from them, my doctor and dietitian must have access. Today, I get a call and my dietitian says that I *must* up my carbs. I can't have fewer than 20g net a day. UGH! AYFKM? I've worked to get to a comfortable level where I'm happy with everything I eat and my body is happy too. And now you want me to add carbs? I already try foods every two weeks that I have no interest in eating as suggested.

The best part is that she suggested bananas or other fruit. I told her that's not happening, because once I get on the sugar bandwagon, that's it. I will crave it like a drug. I can't eat pasta or bread, as they feel like bricks going through my system. I can add some veggies, but I already eat the veggies that don't absolutely kill me with pain.

I'm happy. I'm keto-adapted. I like my simple diet with simple foods. ARGH!!! I knew this post-surgery business would be a pain. I knew there would be a lot of changes to my diet. But adding carbs doesn't make me happy at all. I can only hope that the added carbs don't bump me out of keto.

/rant

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Ugh. So sorry. That said, you can probably up your carbs with "sweeter" veggies like carrots or maybe some peanut butter. Not sure if it would trigger you out, but they usually help me when I need to up carbs to break through a stall.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The body remains in keto even at 50g/day though. I'd think 20 would keep you there very well, yes?

But in the end, it's your body. If adding 1/2 serving of broccoli to your diary every day and then forgetting to actually eat it keeps you more sane, then you might just be 'entering a forgetful phase.'

Just be careful and listen to clues from your body because if you don't get enough protein to counteract the lack of carbs, your muscle tissue is at risk for loss and once that's depleted your brain won't get enough glucose.
  • blairmundy
    Options
    Also, carbs from beans might help? At least they have fiber and aren't particularly addictive or difficult to eat.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My surgeon/bariatric surgeon is a vegan. He strongly urges his patients to be plant based as their post surgery diet. As I've been eating less and less meat over the years, this works for me. I told him that I am starting as an occasional pescatarian, and he had no problem with that. Ketosis just doesn't work for me (I'm half German and half Irish - white starche are in my DNA!). But- if you are listening to your body, and it sounds like you are, that seems pretty important. Remember that veggies are carbs. Add veggies and I bet your dietician will be happy!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    I need to be closer to 30g to be in keto, so I may bump out. I try a lot of veggies, but few of them do me well. I was mostly plant-based pre-surgery, but my gut has chosen otherwise post-surgery. My protein is around 100g every day, so I'm ok there. There is zero chance I'm giving up meat! I would just lose my mind! Beans are an add I'm willing to make. I'll live, it's just irritating. Thanks for letting me rant!
  • blairmundy
    Options
    It's annoying to have other people tell you what you can/can't eat! It's like trading one problem for the opposite. That sucks and I'm sorry. Sounds like aiming for 20-25 keeps you in keto and out of Dr. troubles at least. And I'm jealous of the 100g protein. The ability to eat cooked meat is something I seem to have lost. There is so much sashimi and seaweed in my life right now.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hummus is one of my favorite good carb snack (beans). As well as edamame; I could (and have) eat them as a meal alone. Keto is pretty addictive for me as well. I hate that constant mouthfeel, but it's kind of comforting in it's own way.
  • ki4eld
    Options
    The "diet jacking" -as I like to call it- isn't new. It's been happening since I started this whole process 4+ years ago. It's just I finally found something that work and they wanna muck with it? Really? It's like finally getting the house clean and the teenagers come in and trash a days worth of work in 5 minutes. Really guys?

On the upside, I know to trust the process and I know this is part of the process. I'm still gonna gripe about it and I'm really grateful you guys are here to listen to be fuss. Thanks!