Squat rack vs Smith machine

Options
Hello - I've just started to get into lifting (loving it!) and workout where there is a single squat rack and a single Smith machine. For squats I use whichever one is available (which is usually the Smith) and I'm wondering if there are pros/cons to using one over the other and a general rule of thumb for weight conversion between the two? Thanks!

Replies

• timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The Smith balances the weight for you, so when using it, you're not working the muscles involved in balance, just the large muscles involved in pushing the weight up. When the weight is free, i.e. lifting with the free bar (whether loaded or unloaded), you work the muscles pushing the load, and the muscles balancing the load.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I would steer clear of the smith machine for squats. Because the bar is locked into position, it can throw you out of alignment, which, at heavier weights, can lead to injuries.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    That said, the smith machine is good for injury recovery provided you keep the weights lower. Or as a finisher at the end of leg day, when you want to blow out whatever energy your quads have remaining.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You could also use it in this manner; which might be more preferable than trying to use it for squatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDE86BLlV7g
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the safety bars in place if you do that version!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna do that "leg press with Smith machine" move, you may as well get on the leg press machine.
    That goes for anything with a Smith machine. It's an inefficient way to do lifts-on-rails. But it looks like you're moving big weights, so it's an ego thing.
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks much for all the input! Definitely like the squat rack better, but since I am not lifting really heavy yet not able to easily work in & have time constraints. Will definitely try to make that my first choice though!