Introduction - 3 Months Post Gastric Bypass

Options
harleydall76
harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group as of the other day. I figured I'd finally introduce myself. I had gastric bypass on May 26th. As of now, I am down just about 50lbs. I had a very rough start in the beginning - complications from the surgery, an allergic reaction to a medication they use during surgery, 12 days in a coma. I am not sharing this to scare anyone, just a little fyi about my situation.

I kind of missed the initial liquid phase - after waking up, I wasn't allowed anything for 2 days, then liquids for 3 days before my doctor decided I was well enough to advance to puree. 6 weeks later I was advanced to solids/regular.

Anyhow, does anyone have aversions (?) to foods at all? I've had so much chicken, turkey, eggs, tuna, etc. that some days I simply cannot even look at it without my stomach turning. My doctor told me that will eventually pass, but I'm curious if it happens to others and how you handle it. Sometimes I force myself to eat it for the protein, but wind up feeling sick later (not from eating too much or it not agreeing, just because it turned my stomach looking at it).

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm almost two months out and use protein shakes as my main source and my meals are vegetable based. My surgeon is hardcore vegan though...so he isn't so hung up on the protein requirements.

It's helped me a lot to keep some variety in my diet and I'm losing steadily without any complications to speak of.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am 4.5 months out from sleeve surgery, and I still use protein powder daily to get my protein in. I use an unflavored that mixes in easily, so it goes in soups, coffee, or even juice I need it to. There are still definitely foods that don't agree with me yet (most raw fruits and veggies) and foods I'm very tired of eating. The protein powder helps me add some variety without totally stressing over protein requirements, and I'm starting to play with new recipes and flavors to keep me out of the rut. My "safe staples" are premade deli soups (several varieties I like, so that helps with boredom) with protein powder, light baybel cheese, sauteed shrimp, Dannon light and fit greek yogurts, cottage cheeses, and various deli meats.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm 7.5mo RNY. Today, I'm having a "meh" eating day. If I don't eat, it's a protein shake day. My protein number is my #1 goal every day. Everything else is peripheral. I really enjoy the flavors of Bariatric Fusion protein shakes and I have them all, so I can't get bored if I need a couple of them a day for a week or two to get me over the hump.

I do have foods that I just can't look at some days. They vary, although bread and pasta are at the top of the list pretty much every day. Most anything with sugar is a turn-off. I knew before surgery that I'd need to cut a lot of variety from my diet, if not permanently, then at least for couple of years. I started haunting recipe sites, finding ten dozen different ways to season meats, and working hard to insert variety into the protein. We also eat every protein we can find... half a dozen kinds of fish, especially flounder, trout, and cod, shellfish, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, lamb. Variety keeps me eating even on the days I don't want to. We don't eat a recipe twice in a month for dinner, unless we just really and truly want it.

I'd recommend branching out and try some brand new recipes. I live on Damn Delicious, Southern Living, Serious Eats, All Recipes, and Bon Appetit. I've found a few recipes that we simply cannot live without!

Also, consider doing meal prep. I spend 1-2 hours every other weekend doing food prep. I portion, season, and freeze meat in Ziploc bags. If I can pre-cook or assemble something, I do it then. Then it's just thaw and cook during the week. It really helps with the variety, because the work is already done.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 months post RNYGB (down 140 lbs) and initially I went through different foods that suddenly weren't appealing, but most of that has passed. Now, I enjoy just about all things based on protein and produce. I find most carbs - bread/rice/pasta, desserts, and alcohol, leave me feeling yucky (for lack of a more appropriate technical term). I don't feel deprived at all, eating things I enjoy and as much as I want.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Amandacanales, it sounds like we have the same surgeon! Mine is also hard core vegan, plant based, and the protein push is for post surgery healing.
  • shrinkingkathy
    shrinkingkathy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 years post surgery and I don't have problems with any particular food, it's just if I have too much of certain things, especially sugar. I know others who had this surgery who weren't able to eat certain things again. One couldn't eat eggs. One couldn't eat chicken. Another couldn't eat steak. Seems that everyone's different.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes! The first month I ate a lot of tuna. I was blending it down to tolerate it. At my second month, I could not think about tuna, ugh, the thought turned my stomach. I am 3month out now and still haven't gone back to try it again.
    Tolerating certain meats is my issue, because I am trying to get the protein in as well, my main goal is meat. I only recently can eat chicken but it is hard. I cannot do pork (chops).

I used to crave pizza, and became upset that I shouldn't eat it... because that was my favorite food. I tried to eat pizza at 2 months out and found it just isn't the same... maybe because now I actually have to eat, chew, taste the food, that I don't care for it. Pizza was something I gobbled down! Now I like foods that taste the same until I am done chewing them! LOL

I know that sounds strange but because meat has to be chewed so well, often the flavor is lost. So I dress it up with fat free gravy or some tomato sauce. I really love WATERMELLON!!! I know it isn't high protein but it never looses it's taste even after chewing it to bits.

I also was a huge sweet eater, gotta have my sugar. Well can't do that anymore! So my other favorite which was BBQ sauce is now off the menu. I now make cheater sauce... I mix Heinze chilli sauce with sugar free grape jelly and Whal La! homemade bbq sauce. It works great with my turkey meatballs!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies :)

I love watermelon too. I think part of it is because it quenches my thirst too. One of my biggest challenges is getting used to not eating and drinking at the same time.

I have not been able to stomach tuna fish for over a month now. I bought some fat free gravy in hopes that it make the chicken easier to eat by "flavoring" it.