What to do when I mess up?

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
so, I've only just heard of this new way of eating about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I jumped right in and was gung-ho to cut out carbs. I've been through the detox phase and have been feeling quite good...

Then, it happened....

My daughter's birthday weekend. The actual day was Thursday but my whole family came up to visit that day and are still here now. We went for dinner and had cake Thursday.I managed to make good Keto dinner choices and resisted the cake temptation. I even managed to not be tempted to go off track on Friday.

Saturday was a different story... We were out the entire day for her party and the choices were kinda made for me in the sense that it was: eat what's in front of you or don't eat... So I ate Chinese food and cake :/.

I didn't eat any noodles or rice and I only drank water and black herbal tea, but I'm quite sure the damage was still pretty great because that urge to over eat and have a second piece of cake was really strong and I haven't had food or sweet tooth cravings like that since I got on board with Keto.

I woke up this morning feeling like I'm retaining copious amounts of water... My hands and fingers are all puffy and I'm quite sure I've been kicked out of ketosis.

Any tips/tricks for how to recover quickly and get my body back into Keto mode and lose the urge to over eat and crave sweets?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day to make new choices. Go right back to the diet you're supposed to be eating and the body will get back into keto. I bumped myself out 2 weeks ago during my birthday celebration. Holy moly, my carbs were redunkulous that Saturday. So I dropped them Sunday to 40g, Monday was a normal eating day at 17g, and everything body-wise was back to normal come Tuesday.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Good to know! I'm going to drink more water than usual today
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also make a plan for how you will handle similar situations in the future.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Well, the situation was my daughter's 10th bday. Short of bringing my own food and excusing myself as hostess, there wasn't much else I could do. The party was planned and invitations were sent before I discovered the LCHF way of eating.
  • kirkor
    Options
    It will still be good to think about other situations in which you will be out all day for social events. Bringing your own food is an option, eating beforehand, skipping a meal, etc.
    The water retention is likely as much (or even more so) due to the sodium of the Chinese food as it is to excess carbs.
    You did good by skipping the noodles and rice.

The good news is the longer you eat like this, the more people get used to you being "weird" when it comes to food at gatherings.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    It will still be good to think about other situations in which you will be out all day for social events. Bringing your own food is an option, eating beforehand, skipping a meal, etc.
    The water retention is likely as much (or even more so) due to the sodium of the Chinese food as it is to excess carbs.
    You did good by skipping the noodles and rice.

The good news is the longer you eat like this, the more people get used to you being "weird" when it comes to food at gatherings.

Thanks! I appreciate your input and support. You are way less intimidating than your profile pic :smile:
  • kirkor
    Options
    It's a reminder for me: Wolverine is always watching ;)
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation this weekend, only the carb overload was my own choice and fault. It was so dang hot and my son wanted a Jamba Juice. 80g of carbs over my goal later and I spent the rest of the weekend feeling bloated. As the others have said, shake it off and keep on going. I am told it is easier for your body to get back into ketosis once it was already there (not sure if this is bro-science or fact). Good luck !