Mapmyrun, Runkeeper or Runtastic for treadmill and outdoor

Options
which is best? I'm on the treadmill in the am and out with the dogs later. Which would be good for tracking both? I like the fact that Runkeeper will track without having to turn it on.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    None of them are good for dreadmilling as you're stationary. All allow you to manually log sessions so that you have full history.

My recommendations would be:

Endomondo
    Strava
    Runkeeper

I specifically wouldn't recommend either Runtastic or MapMyFitness. I've had extensive difficulties with both; battery consumption and sync issues.

Where are you getting the idea that Runkeeper will track without being turned on?
  • Endofmytether
    Endofmytether Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's an option in settings. Pocket track it's handy as when I'm out walking the dogs it'll track it without me having to faff about with my phone and 2 dogs.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use any of them for indoor work.. I use Rundouble. Mapmyrun is cool cause you can create a route and see the amt of km, elevation, etc but I don't really like the app.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter and have been happy with it. You'll need to check several different apps out and see what you like. Sounds like you want a program that has GPS so make sure you download one that has that function. Runmeter has that, lots of stats, and even includes a 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon and Marathon running program.

I have a Garmin fitness tracker and ran into trouble with Strava, as it double posted everything to MFP. Although I would love to have an 848 calorie burn from a 35-min run/walk, that isn't really happening! So I deleted Strava. However, I've heard lots of good things about it and many, many people use it.