No Seeing Any Progress

Options
2»

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Not just any cake Sara. Salted caramel cupcakes and I ate 1/2 of one on my birthday and then a whole one the next day for breakfast!

Yes, I will keep doing what I'm doing. I'd really rather not have to drop the calories or carbs any any lower because it's manageable right now without being miserable :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not just any cake Sara. Salted caramel cupcakes and I ate 1/2 of one on my birthday and then a whole one the next day for breakfast!

Yes, I will keep doing what I'm doing. I'd really rather not have to drop the calories or carbs any any lower because it's manageable right now without being miserable :)

Hnnnnnnnggggg
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Sneaking in here a day early since I just got back from the doctor and wanted to report on the results.

My stats from my visit with her on March 1st:

Weight 206
    BMI 39.6
    Blood Pressure 130/60

She wasn't happy with my glucose level so she had me get retested.

Today's Visit

Weight 194 (12 pound loss)
    BMI 37.3
    Blood Pressure 118/82
    Blood Pressure 118/82

Glucose level was normal

We also tested my body fat using a hand held device (same one they use at my gym)

Body fat at the gym in Mid May was 46.5%
    Today 44.5%

She was happy that I lost the 12 pounds but I think she felt like it should have been more in 5 months time. She did like the 2% drop in body fat and my blood pressure and glucose were much better.

We talked about my calories and macros. She had prepared her own recommendations for me before I even saw her. They are as follows:

Calories: 1500
    Carbs: 170
    Fat: 40
    Protein: 100

I told her that my targets were:

Calories: 1600
    Carbs: 125
    Fat: 65
    Protein 125

She was fine with those and agreed that with the exercise I'm doing, I shouldn't go lower with my calories.

I still seem to be really struggling losing any scale weight though. I had one day where I saw 192 point something on the scale but this morning I was back up to 195. I just don't understand why it is such a struggle to get the weight off.

Just to reiterate my exercise...

Monday - Walk/jog with the dog 2 miles, StrongLifts
    Tuesday - Couch to 5K 2 miles, walk/job with the dog 1 mile
    Wednesday - Walk/jog with the dog 2 miles, StrongLifts
    Thursday - Couch to 5K 2 miles, walk/job with the dog 1 mile
    Friday - Walk/jog with the dog 2 miles, StrongLifts
    Saturday - Couch to 5K 2 miles, walk/job with the dog 1 mile
    Sunday - 2 mile walk with the dog

The walks with the dog are at around a 3.5 MPH pace (except for the potty stop)

I have slipped back a little into eating more fast food but I do log everything and have been hitting my goals fairly closely, pretty consistently. I'm also getting a little bored with StrongLifts so if you'd like to recommend a different strength routine, that would be awesome.

I do so much better when I'm accountable to someone. I know that's not necessarily a good thing but it seems to be the way I'm wired. When I'm doing the C25K app and the voice says "2 minutes left" I will push through and finish those 2 minutes. But, if I'm just trying to run on my own, I tend to quit before I really have to. That's why I really wish I could find a training partner who would really push me. The "people pleaser" side of me would work extra hard to gain their approval :) Maybe some therapy is in order <grin>

Really, really appreciate your time and guidance!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Can you give us your weekly weigh-ins since the post you made giving is them through the end of June so we have them laid out. Thanks
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Sure! Here ya go:

06/24/13 194.8
    07/08/13 193.2
    07/15/13 195.3 (birthday weekend free for all)
    7/24/13 194.3
    07/29/13 193
    08/05/13 192.4

Even though I've been really good, I've gone up a little bit each morning I've weighed this week. This morning I was 195.4 on my scale although yesterday was a weights day. I'm not sure what Monday will bring.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sure! Here ya go:

06/24/13 194.8
    07/08/13 193.2
    07/15/13 195.3 (birthday weekend free for all)
    7/24/13 194.3
    07/29/13 193
    08/05/13 192.4

Even though I've been really good, I've gone up a little bit each morning I've weighed this week. This morning I was 195.4 on my scale although yesterday was a weights day. I'm not sure what Monday will bring.

Thanks. We will get to this shortly
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

It seems as though you have some water retention as you will not have gained fat (or at least 3lb) on that intake. Could you stick to the intake we gave you and get back to us in one more week with your weight so we can see the fluid retention was masking the losses. If you look at the 2 weeks prior, since you have been on the intake we suggested, you have lost an average of 1lb a week.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Will do. Thank you very much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking for administrative purposes. Please PM either of us to unlock, including a link to this thread, when you are ready to update us.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Happy to report that the "whoosh fairy" came! The last weight I posted was 192.4 on 8/5. The following week I was up .8 pounds but then this morning I was down to 190 so I lost 2.4 pounds.

I'm still tracking my calories and I've been fairly consistent with the number of calories consumbed and the number burned according to my FitBit.

Column 1 is the date, Column 2 is calories consumed, Column 3 is calories burned, Column 4 is the difference between 2 &3 and Column 4 is my loss/gain for the week.

7/22 - 7/28 1655 2080 425 0.2 loss
    7/29 - 8/4 1532 2031 499 0.6 loss
    8/5 - 8/11 1638 2111 473 0.8 gain
    8/12 - 8/18 1561 2039 478 2.4 loss

The only thing I did differently was an inadvertent "refeed" on Saturday the 10th when I ate 2,161 calories and a whopping 241 grams of carb. Not sure if that shook things loose or not. Probably wishful thinking on my part :)

So wise ones....do I continue on with 1600 calories and the macros you set for me?

Carbs 125
    Fat 65
    Protein 125

I'm usually over a little in carbs and under a little in protein but not by a lot.

Thank you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yay for the whoosh fairy....now send them my way please =).

Could you stick with the intake we suggested and get back to us in 2 weeks.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Sending your way Sara. I heard there was some sort of hold up at customs. Fairy dust is apparently a controlled substance. Who knew?!

Will stick to the plan.

Thank you!
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me updating a little early. Something very strange is going on....It took me 16 weeks to go from 199 to 190 pounds, which I reached 2 weeks ago. This morning I stepped on the scale and was 184.8. In two weeks I've lost almost 6 pounds. I haven't lifted in a little over a week because I pulled a muscle in my back walking the dogs (damn bunny rabbits). So I figured, okay...this loss is just my muscles releasing water and stored glycogen. And some of it probably is, but...I measured my waist this morning and I'm down 2 inches. I know this rapid weight loss won't last, and I don't really want it to but I would be lying if I said it wasn't encouraging to see the scale moving again. And the best part is that I'm not starving myself and I'm eating food that's both healthy and enjoyable. I guess I finally found that perfect calories in/calories out ratio.

I don't always hit my target goals exactly but I must be getting close enough. I'm going to start lifting again on Monday so I guess I'll see if that effects my rate of scale weight loss. Not that I really care. Since my goal is to loose fat and build (or at least maintain) muscle, I'm certainly not going to stop lifting.

Can't thank you guys enough for all of your help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me updating a little early. Something very strange is going on....It took me 16 weeks to go from 199 to 190 pounds, which I reached 2 weeks ago. This morning I stepped on the scale and was 184.8. In two weeks I've lost almost 6 pounds. I haven't lifted in a little over a week because I pulled a muscle in my back walking the dogs (damn bunny rabbits). So I figured, okay...this loss is just my muscles releasing water and stored glycogen. And some of it probably is, but...I measured my waist this morning and I'm down 2 inches. I know this rapid weight loss won't last, and I don't really want it to but I would be lying if I said it wasn't encouraging to see the scale moving again. And the best part is that I'm not starving myself and I'm eating food that's both healthy and enjoyable. I guess I finally found that perfect calories in/calories out ratio.

I don't always hit my target goals exactly but I must be getting close enough. I'm going to start lifting again on Monday so I guess I'll see if that effects my rate of scale weight loss. Not that I really care. Since my goal is to loose fat and build (or at least maintain) muscle, I'm certainly not going to stop lifting.

Can't thank you guys enough for all of your help.

Congratulations!!

So, the loss is probably a couple of things. Some fluid re the lack of lifting. However, I doubt that all of it is this. You may well have had a whoosh on top of it. Basically, when you diet, you stress the body. It hangs onto water due to it. This masks 'real' (fat) losses. When you whoosh, you lose the extra water weight and end up getting a better idea of where you really are. Those losses would have been over a period of who knows what (so hard to assess what period it was masking),

The loss in inches will definitely not be lifting related water retention.

You must be really happy and this should help with motivation. I know it can be frustrating when the scale does not move. Happened to me a few weeks ago, and the whoosh, I lost 4lbs in 5 days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just realized I did not give you any suggestions going forward. Could you stay on the same intake for another 2 weeks and get back to us with your results (earlier if you are having any problems).
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Will do Sara. Thank you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Usual locking thing...PM one of us when ready and we will unlock the thread (please include a link to this thread)
This discussion has been closed.