Couch to 5k?

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
So, I'm about a month out from surgery, and am considering doing one of the couch 2 5k programs. Are there any you liked? Some seem a bit ambitious, even for day 1. Anyone want to join me?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the C25K app recently and I like it. I would eventually like to complete the entire thing, but I actually like sticking with week 3 for now, because it's like HIIT. If it seems ambitious, do what you can, even if it's just walking. If you need to repeat a week over, do it. Do what you are comfortable with and what will keep you safe and uninjured! It was challenging for me at first, but it gets easier, and it's so rewarding. I mean, when I was pushing 400 lbs, I NEVER thought I could run for even a few minutes, but like my BFF told me, you never know what you can do until you try!
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would love to do the C25K as well. I have seen some info on pintetest. But I never took it to the next level. If you find a good app let me know and I will get it. If I find something I will post.
    Woo-hoo can't wait!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice! I'm working on the C210K right now!! I'm on week 10 day 2. It's kicking my butt!!!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just recently finished C25K. It's a fantastic app. I second the advice about re-doing a week if necessary. The great thing about it is you can truly go at your own pace and really gain what you need to from it. And, like they say, no matter how slow you run, you're still lapping all of the people who are on the couch.
  • KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone check out the "Get Running" app. It's a C25K and it's very encouraging. I love the voice prompts, the advice and the encouragement it offers!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would advise anyone who is coming off of a lot of weight to take this slow. My former boss blew out his ACL after he decided that he was going to start running post-surgery. Your muscles are used to supporting your weight in the normal small motions (walking), but to take the added stress of running, they are going to need some build-up.

Stretching and rest days are your friends. Don't neglect either of them.