Bloat and edema

Options
So for the past two months I have been battling horrid water retention and bloating for at least 3 weeks at a time. It's uncomfortable and I have no idea what is causing it. All my weight loss is almost completely masked by it and that's frustrating. I know some veggies can cause distress, such as broccoli, but I really haven't been eating that much. Like, yesterday, I simply had 3 florets along with some grilled yellow squash. Dinner was taco meat on lettuce with cheese and taco sauce.

I drink half a cup of coffee, a cup of green tea, and then a bottle of water from 8-12. 12-bedtime it varies from diet soda, to tea, to just plain water depending on mood. I'm really not consuming that much sodium to my knowledge, I rarely add table salt to anything I cook and when I do it's very little. I eat out for lunch every day so theoretically that food could be loaded with salt but if it is I don't taste it. I know on this WOE I should be consuming more sodium but I don't feel bad other than this issue really, no keto flu issues. I am 73 days into the diet so far.

Prior to LC, I didn't bloat until the week before my TOM and then a few days at the beginning. I hate to say this is hormonal because it just doesn't add up. I shouldn't see TOM water issues until next week at the earliest. (Sorry if TMI) Scale weight goes up anywhere from 2-5 lbs, but I'm fine with that as I know it's just water. What bugs me is my clothes get so tight and it's just plain uncomfortable and 90% of the reason why I just refuse to get smaller pants. Why bother when I can only wear them one week a month????

Anyone else experience this? I try to eat straight low carb and in the past few weeks I've had a little popcorn at the theater and some lightly breaded fried shrimp, but that's been about it and never enough to throw me out of ketosis. Someone suggested my potassium could just be super low and looking back over the nutritional data, I am definitely not consuming much. I stopped taking my supplements (magnesium, calcium, and vit d) on Monday to see if they were the cause, and they apparently aren't. I'm going to do an epsom salt bath tonight after my walk I think and try some dandelion tea this weekend.

Just really tired of feeling like a walking balloon.

Replies

• Desteria
    Desteria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with bloat in the past, but I always find it can be attributed to eating out or eating something that is super high in sodium. I would try not eating out for lunch every day, bring your own food so you know the sodium content in it and see if that helps.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm really not consuming that much sodium to my knowledge, I rarely add table salt to anything I cook and when I do it's very little. I eat out for lunch every day so theoretically that food could be loaded with salt but if it is I don't taste it. I know on this WOE I should be consuming more sodium but I don't feel bad other than this issue really,

That may be your problem, though. Not everyone experiences sodium deficiency the same, so try adding some more salt to stuff. You can even add a little to your water (not enough to taste, just a little). Try being what you feel is overly generous with the salt for a few days and see if anything changes.

And a more general rule of thumb -- whatever conventional wisdom says, do the opposite.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get that way too. I tried the apple cider vinegar thing and it really does seem to help with the bloat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Dragonwolf I retain water like crazy when my sodium is too low...
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well, adding more salt is worth a try. Anything at this point to feel better. I'm taking my dad out to eat for his birthday tonight and I'll take a page out of his book and salt my steak!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf is right. Increasing you sodium will help your body be able to balance the levels and not have to store it in places, like ankles, hands and under eyes, in attempts to conserve what it has. Really, just about everything you've learned about nutrition is wrong. Don't be afraid of sodium. You need it so much more with this woe.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fellow walking balloon right here. I always have edema. I know what you mean, it's really frustrating especially when wearing skinny jeans! And it will happen if you stand or walk a lot during the day
    LC really lowers it for me though; it's the only successful solution I've found to decrease it. Wish there was a way to get rid of it altogether, doesn't seem to happen as heavily to others
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought LC was supposed to lessen it, that was the general consensus on my google research. I don't consider myself an odd fish out, so I'm starting to wonder if something else is going on. Maybe my cycle is just completely out of wack right now do to estrogen dumps from fat loss. The epsom salt bath did nothing, in fact I was up 2 more lbs on top of the 3 I have been this am, after getting up to pee three times. I look pregnant almost LOL. Which if I was that would be great, but I know I'm definitely not. Had lots of seafood last night, including some very salty raw oysters, and plan on adding more salt today. I actually looked it up and salt deficiency does cause water retention. So much for conventional wisdom :P If that doesn't work, I'm going to the Dr. to rule out more serious conditions.

Thank you all for your help! I love this group. :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought LC was supposed to lessen it, that was the general consensus on my google research. I don't consider myself an odd fish out, so I'm starting to wonder if something else is going on. Maybe my cycle is just completely out of wack right now do to estrogen dumps from fat loss. The epsom salt bath did nothing, in fact I was up 2 more lbs on top of the 3 I have been this am, after getting up to pee three times. I look pregnant almost LOL. Which if I was that would be great, but I know I'm definitely not. Had lots of seafood last night, including some very salty raw oysters, and plan on adding more salt today. I actually looked it up and salt deficiency does cause water retention. So much for conventional wisdom :P If that doesn't work, I'm going to the Dr. to rule out more serious conditions.

Thank you all for your help! I love this group. :D

I really hope that adding salt does help. And I imagine it would begin pretty quickly.
    If it doesn't, I would talk to your doctor about it right away, assuming you haven't already. There are other health issues that cause excess water to build up.
    But, it seems like the pieces of the puzzle fit that make low salt the explanation.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am having this problem along with severe constipation to the point of severe pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Constipation on this WOE if you have no outlying issues is usually caused by too much fiber, too little water, and too little fat, or some combination therein... Coffee is called Nature's ExLax, and Coconut oil can push things along, as well as a few other things...@pennell12... What do your daily macros/intake look like as far as fiber, fats, and water?