I've got another convert!

Options
Last night I saw a friend I haven't talked to in a month. In that time, she's begun a modified version of lchf (a way that works for her) and has lost 12#. She's my third convert... today 3, tomorrow the world! Bwahahaha!! >:)

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Awesome!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have not yet done so but as more people come up with cancer, diabetes, heart disease I am getting more questions. I am in a pocket that is against educated changes when it comes to diet.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I keep joking to my friends... Come to the dark side... we have bacon and cheese.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    There is an argument going on in a medical site I am in… several cancer survivors, me included, promote a healthy diet FIRST..as children, and during, and after any chemo or treatment…but there are the 2-3 screaming science dweebs ( of which I am one most days) saying "your diets" don't cure anything… thus proving my point we have NO RESPECT in this country to understand a good diet is connected to good health!!

drugs, chemo, radiation are the only answer in their world.

the truth is cancer is no more under control….still at 3% 'cure' rate …..after 50 years and billions donated to the ACS? I won't give them a dime… they refuse any studies but old school approved ways for research. They use Lance Armstrong as the poster boy for chemo ( his is one of 2-4% cancers helped by it)

Good nutrition is allowed to be "complementary' medicine only…not saying you CAN cure yourself with food…but not bothering to even support the body's functions to help yourself?

Some diabetics have the mentality will chow down on carb foods and "just take more insulin..tha't's what it is for", think a pill will save them..then when they have to deal with toxic drugs to survive they scoff at nutrition still.

at least there is more of a toehold on nutrition in the last few years.

Converting one person at a time is a great start…"think global and low carb local"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I keep joking to my friends... Come to the dark side... we have bacon and cheese.

I'll take 2 of each please.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Last night I saw a friend I haven't talked to in a month. In that time, she's begun a modified version of lchf (a way that works for her) and has lost 12#. She's my third convert... today 3, tomorrow the world! Bwahahaha!! >:)

LOL You should be getting a signing fee.

:D LOL I LOVE that!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There is an argument going on in a medical site I am in… several cancer survivors, me included, promote a healthy diet FIRST..as children, and during, and after any chemo or treatment…but there are the 2-3 screaming science dweebs ( of which I am one most days) saying "your diets" don't cure anything… thus proving my point we have NO RESPECT in this country to understand a good diet is connected to good health!!

the truth is cancer is no more under control….still at 3% 'cure' rate …..after 50 years and billions donated to the ACS? I won't give them a dime… they refuse any studies but old school approved ways for research. They use Lance Armstrong as the poster boy for chemo ( his is one of 2-4% cancers helped by it)

Good nutrition is allowed to be "complementary' medicine only…not saying you CAN cure yourself with food…but not bothering to even support the body's functions to help yourself?

Some diabetics have the mentality will chow down on carb foods and "just take more insulin..tha't's what it is for", think a pill will save them..then when they have to deal with toxic drugs to survive they scoff at nutrition still.

Converting one person at a time is a great start…"think global and low carb local"

One Andrew Scarborough is living proof (literally) that the idea that diet has no effect on cancer outcome is complete and total bull. Two years after being diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, he's not only cancer-free, but the scar tissue is even healing, thanks to a carnivorous ketogenic diet.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cancer survivor here as well. Big part of why I am now lc. Really has little to do with losing weight for me, though losing 3-4lbs would be a welcome side effect. A healthy body mentally and physically is the goal. Never had a single oncologist or dermatologist ever mention diet or lifestyle one way or the other.

I wish I could convert my mother. We talked about lc last weekend. I told her how much fuller I feel with this new woe, and that I am never hungry. And that I found some desserts that really help with cravings (chocolate and fat bombs). She nodded and said “I know, I know, but I don’t eat because I am hungry I eat because I am an emotional eater.” End of conversation. Breaks my heart because she is on so many meds, many for issues she could prevent through lifestyle changes. I haven’t given up trying to convert her.

Nice work @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn ! The world is yours to conquer!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options

LOL!!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

One Andrew Scarborough is living proof (literally) that the idea that diet has no effect on cancer outcome is complete and total bull. Two years after being diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, he's not only cancer-free, but the scar tissue is even healing, thanks to a carnivorous ketogenic diet.

Awesome story. Thanks @Dragonwolf

zerocarbzen.com/2015/05/31/healing-brain-cancer-with-a-zero-carb-ketogenic-diet-by-andrew-scarborough/

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    I wish I could convert my mother. We talked about lc last weekend. I told her how much fuller I feel with this new woe, and that I am never hungry. And that I fo nd some desserts that really help with cravicomeschocolate and fat bombs). She nodded and said “I know, I know, but I don’t eat because I am hungry I eat because I am an emotional eater.” End of conversation. Breaks my heart because she is on so many meds, many for issues she could prevent through lifestyle changes. I haven’t given up trying to convert her.

I hope she comes over to the dark side for your sake. My mom dying of liver cancer and cirrhosis are really what drove me to this woe, although it took me a few years.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    We had a friend with cancer but went into a weight loss nose dive and could not pull out of so I never got to talk with him about eating. I did learn about BioBran that is to boost our natural immunity that is used by some medical centers in Asia and Europe that I have taken for about six months to make sure it was safe before I would recommend it to a family member. It is sold in the USA by the maker Daiwa Health Development under the name Peak Immune 4. Google BioBran for protocols that are on the web. The Japanese company has a website with a lot of info under many different tabs. biobran.org/
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Cancer survivor here as well. Big part of why I am now lc. Really has little to do with losing weight for me, though losing 3-4lbs would be a welcome side effect. A healthy body mentally and physically is the goal. Never had a single oncologist or dermatologist ever mention diet or lifestyle one way or the other.

I wish I could convert my mother. We talked about lc last weekend. I told her how much fuller I feel with this new woe, and that I am never hungry. And that I found some desserts that really help with cravings (chocolate and fat bombs). She nodded and said “I know, I know, but I don’t eat because I am hungry I eat because I am an emotional eater.” End of conversation. Breaks my heart because she is on so many meds, many for issues she could prevent through lifestyle changes. I haven’t given up trying to convert her.

Nice work @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn ! The world is yours to conquer!

Congrats on beating cancer! You are a true warrior!

I was an emotional eater as well, and it was definitely tough at first learning how to deal with stuff without food. It's a process, and it's not easy, but in the end, food (i.e., carbs) never really gave me long-term comfort anyway, so it had to go. Now most days there's nothing a good scented epsom salt bath and a good book won't cure. Chris Pratt said something recently about how food always made him happy before, but it was a temporary happy. Now that he's done the work and lost the weight he's happy all the time, not just when he's eating. That's what I strive for every day and what keeps me doing this woe.

Kudos for not giving up on your mother! Your example will surely inspire her.

@MimiOfTheLusciousLawn - way to go! We'll get 'em all in the end!
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Thank you for posting a link to Andrew’s story. Wow, that’s amazing! There is a 6 year old boy who was in my son’s kindergarten class last year just diagnosed with brain cancer. He had a tumor removed in July, and is just starting 6-8 months of chemo/radiation. I will point out this research to his mother. I read up about BioBran - thanks for that link too! I would be interested to hear of any trials in prevention of t-cell lymphoma. I’ll keep researching.

@annalisbeth74 Nice to hear you use past tense as in ”was an emotional eater.” What a wonder accomplishment to have moved past that and into a healthier wol! If it was not so darn hot in California I would be into Epson baths as well. I’ll just have to look forward to it in the coming months. Being happy all the time is a wonderful thing to strive for every day. Nice work!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    When I microwave bacon at work there are always people admiring my diet choice

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There were so many funny comments in this Thread there were too many to reply too! thank you all for the laughs! And bacon, who doesn't love bacon?! I love bacon anything! Chocolate covered bacon, bacon topped donuts, bacon and eggs, bacon Toffee, bacon ice cream, I can go on forever!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When I microwave bacon at work there are always people admiring my diet choice
    Oooh, what a great idea! Why didn't I think to do that?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    There were so many funny comments in this Thread there were too many to reply too! thank you all for the laughs! And bacon, who doesn't love bacon?! I love bacon anything! Chocolate covered bacon, bacon topped donuts, bacon and eggs, bacon Toffee, bacon ice cream, I can go on forever!

A friend of mine made chocolate, chocolate chip, cherry, cookies with candied bacon on top for a friend of hers. They actually turned out really good.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Lol - my stepfather thinks of insulin as an "antidote". Cheesecake? Sure - let me get a shot first.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

A friend of mine made chocolate, chocolate chip, cherry, cookies with candied bacon on top for a friend of hers. They actually turned out really good.

They sound good. YUM!