Salt making us fat article

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
Ok becuase you guys do such a good job at explaining things to the newbies like me. :) This article basically is saying in very simpleton terms that Salt is making us fat. But yet lots and lots of stuff in LCHF has salt. Well the things that I can think of off the top of my head anyways....
I sometimes do have a hard time with all the salt - maybe I should say savory as opposed to salty. lol

https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-1-reason-you-39-re-not-1249081900597302.html

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are a number of threads and books about the pseudoscience that journalists love to slurp up and regurgitate without checking the limits or even the truth about these studies. There was even an article which generated a thread here regarding how someone completely fabricated a story about chocolate having miracle weight loss properties and got it published and picked up by the popular media.

I had trouble following the links supplied in that article to find the study they are referencing. In my personal experience, I started eating twice as much salt when I went LCHF and lost over 30 lbs in 6 months. Many people on here lost much more. I doubt that the study Yahoo! is referencing is pertinent.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Salt has calories?

Makes me fat?

Well .... Shut the front door!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    One of the few times where the comments (at least the dozen or so at the top) are more valuable than the article itself. The Reader's Digest version of the comments -- the article is full of crap.

How does salt make you fat? It doesn't, but it does typically come on foods that are low quality, not satiating, sugary "food" products in the Standard Western Diet.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Is that an article or an infomercial? Where's the study?

The reason salt is recommended on a low-carb diet is simple: we lose sodium on a low-carb diet.

Blood levels of sodium are TIGHTLY regulated. You know about blood sugar regulation, right? Sodium levels are much more tightly regulated than even glucose levels.

You pee out what you don't need, but low-carb has a side effect of making us pee out a bit too much, so we need to replenish it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Salt has calories?

Makes me fat?

Well .... Shut the front door!!!

LOL!!
    wabmester wrote: »
    You pee out what you don't need, but low-carb has a side effect of making us pee out a bit too much, so we need to replenish it.

Before I started keto I really put salt on anything: hard boiled eggs And hash browns and that was it. Now I put it on practically everything! But I really like the fact that I no longer have to worry about my salt intake being too high.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Meant "I rarely put salt on anything. "
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here's the study (abstract only):
    High Salt Intake: Independent Risk Factor for Obesity?

And a press release:
    High Salt Intake May Directly Increase Risk of Obesity New Study Shows

Reasons for these new findings are still unclear but it is thought to be related to changes in body fat metabolism [REF 5]. Further research is warranted in this area.

I looked at [REF 5] and didn't see anything compelling, but maybe somebody else will.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes if I drink three 2 liter bottle regular Coke daily that will be a lot of sodium and carbs. Not sure it was the sodium if I get fat however. :) The amounts was not mentioned in the abstract so these are just to make a point.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ...an increased risk of obesity through sugar-sweetened beverage consumption.

So...in other words, we might be more likely to drink more soda that has a high sodium content than if it didn't. Considering sodium enhances flavors, and salt and sugar are two parts of the food addiction trifecta, it's little surprise that the sodium content lends to soda addiction.

Like Gale said....I don't think it was the salt making people fat, there.