Loving the running but..

Options
Right now I am running on the treadmill, and feeling good. My fear is when its time for me to take it to the streets... I tried running last night on the streets and my legs felt like they where going to break... I don't want to run the treadmill only, I am only three weeks into my 5k running app...will I ever be able to run on the streets with out such pain.

Replies

• Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will. :)
    The first question we will ask -- do you have proper running shoes? Ones that you have been assesses and fitted for? If not, get thee to a running store asap! Expect to pay a fair amount. Consider it an investment in yourself and your future.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Maybe try slowly transitioning from treadmill to paved walking trails to street?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes you will. There is a transition time. You need really good shoes for outdoor running.

When I transitioned from treadmill to outdoors, I went from running 45-50 minutes straight on the treadmill (5K at that time) to running about 10 minutes outdoors, then stopping to walk a minute, then running again, etc. It took a couple of weeks before I could run a straight 5K outdoors. I was really bummed because I didn't expect that to happen.

Don't worry about it. If you can get outside once in awhile, do so but expect those outdoor runs to be very different than your treadmill runs for awhile. Keep at it. It's well worth it. Running outdoors adds so much to each run.