Light-headed... Salt and water retention...

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
For the last few days I've been feeling light headed if I stand up too quickly. Especially in the morning.

I read that this could mean I'm low on sodium or potassium and my electrolytes may be out of whack.

To correct this, I started taking potassium (vitamin k) supplements and I've been drinking coconut water (which has more potassium than bananas), but it wasn't helping so I also upped my salt intake and the only thing that changed is now I'm up over 2lbs! So I'm retaining water and still lightheaded...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You're gonna love this: even more salt.

If you're retaining water after increasing salt intake, that means your body is happily hanging onto the sodium.

If you're still lightheaded, your blood volume may still be too low, and more salt may help.

When you say you increased your salt intake, how much did you add? The standard recommendation is for an EXTRA 1-2g of sodium per day. That's hard to get unless you're drinking broth or eating at McDonalds.

If your level of ketones in the urine is low, you may not need that much extra sodium. I can usually get what I need with a pickle or two (300-600mg).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Postural Hypotension. I've had that my whole life, but it is worse when salt and water are low. Ditto @wabmester.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Ok. I just went out and got myself liquid iron and salted sunflower seeds. Hopefully I will now have all of my bases covered and my body will have no use for the excess weight... Fluid or otherwise.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Once I got past the dizziness, it took me about 3 weeks to get rid of the water. Then, it was all good.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I wish I hadn't done them both at the same time because I felt quite a bit better afterwards and now I don't know if it was the extra salt in the sunflower seeds or if I was low in iron... Either way I feel better and I'm happy about that.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    ... But I'm still up in weight.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There's about a 4 day lag for the kidneys to adjust the sodium/water level. If you're still dumping ketones, you may need to continue the higher sodium intake to feel well. In any case, give it a couple more days.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    When I started keto, I read that I should take a potassium supplement and drink a cup if bouillion for salt every day! I started taking magnesium when I got leg cramps. They stopped. As long as I take these three things every day, I feel great. If I don't, I feel like crap. I've lost 118.6 pounds eating this way and have never felt better.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    So... Before I do this, I just need to make sure I understand that in order for my body to stop retaining water, I need to take in more salt?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    When I started keto, I read that I should take a potassium supplement and drink a cup if bouillion for salt every day! I started taking magnesium when I got leg cramps. They stopped. As long as I take these three things every day, I feel great. If I don't, I feel like crap. I've lost 118.6 pounds eating this way and have never felt better.

That's amazing elize7!

So, when you say bouillon, do you mean like the cubes dissolved in water, or like, a pre-made broth?
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key, I do about 2g Added NaCl to food each day. Your kidneys will eventually adapt to your sodium load & water retention will not be an issue; the things is the kidneys adapt more slowly vs. say the lungs (metabolic-kidneys vs. respiratory-pulmonary acidosis/alkalosis). 3-5 days or so should do
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I second the salt suggestion. I thought it was kinda crazy myself, but it worked on my water retention issue I posted in the low carbers group. :)

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    So, besides having a nice glass of salt with breakfast, what is the best way to get my sodium up consistently?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Salt everything. Drink broth once a day or more. Add a dash of salt to unexpected things (a dash in the morning coffee can remove some of the bitterness)... Eat pickles or drink pickle juice. Eat salted nuts (but be careful of eating too many - salt makes you want more of them). salt your water. swallow some pink himalayan crystals between water bottles, especially if outside. Make homemade electrolyte drinks. Etc. Cook with salted butter.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Pink salt sprinkled on a spoon full of semi-soft coconut oil
  • JENIPENNY123
    JENIPENNY123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty moderate case of lightheadedness my first week or so, especially first thing in the morning, between mealtimes, and standing up. What helped me was warming chicken broth, and adding a heaping amount of cream to this as well as adding enough kosher salt to be slightly salty. Within several minutes after consuming, I noticed that my lightheadedness would dissipate. I did this for roughly the first week. It seemed to help me, plus the creamy chicken broth was good.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Salt everything. Drink broth once a day or more. Add a dash of salt to unexpected things (a dash in the morning coffee can remove some of the bitterness)... Eat pickles or drink pickle juice. Eat salted nuts (but be careful of eating too many - salt makes you want more of them). salt your water. swallow some pink himalayan crystals between water bottles, especially if outside. Make homemade electrolyte drinks. Etc. Cook with salted butter.

Homemade electrolyte drinks? I never thought of that. I try to drink coconut water but I'm not a big fan. Do you have some fav recipes?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I had a pretty moderate case of lightheadedness my first week or so, especially first thing in the morning, between mealtimes, and standing up. What helped me was warming chicken broth, and adding a heaping amount of cream to this as well as adding enough kosher salt to be slightly salty. Within several minutes after consuming, I noticed that my lightheadedness would dissipate. I did this for roughly the first week. It seemed to help me, plus the creamy chicken broth was good.

I can't do dairy, but that sounds good. I will swing by the store and pick up some broth tomorrow. I tea want this to be a new way of life for me but there seems to be so many details that need to be tweaked.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I'm trying to stay positive but I've been at this for over 3 weeks and all I have to show for it is lots of trips to the washroom to pee an inability to do #2 and light-headed-ness. I need to start seeing results soon to stay motivated.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Homemade electrolyte drinks? I never thought of that. I try to drink coconut water but I'm not a big fan. Do you have some fav recipes?

Not really, personally, but a friend posted this in another group a while back. It has far more potassium and sodium than a SF gatorade/powerade...

My recipe is 2 T lemon juice (for potassium), 1/8 t himalayan sea salt (for sodium), 10 drops NuNatural Stevia drops (the only brand that doesn't have a bad aftertaste to me) and 8 oz water. This is essentially equal to 8 oz of a sugar free electrolyte sports drink.

There have also been a lot lately that show mixins and stuff. Essentially, something for sodium, sometihng for potassium/magnesium, something for fluids, and something to make it palatable.

You could do ghee (if you tolerate it) or coconut oil in the broth, as well, to give it a boost.

I found most of my electrolyte issues were a combo of not enough sodium, not enough water, not enough fats...