Low Carb October

Options
ejb060793
ejb060793 Posts: 281 Member
I want to try one month of low-carb. I have lost about 60 pounds since March, but was told that low carb may help me get over my mini-plateau (it's not really a plateau, my weight loss just slowed a bit). I spend about $75 - $100 monthly on food and would like to stay close to that same amount.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ejb060793 wrote: »
    I want to try one month of low-carb. I have lost about 60 pounds since March, but was told that low carb may help me get over my mini-plateau (it's not really a plateau, my weight loss just slowed a bit). I spend about $75 - $100 monthly on food and would like to stay close to that same amount.

Hi,

If your weight loss just slowed a bit, I would take a large breath and relax some. You did not gain weight in a day and it will take some time to lose. If you are still losing weight, you have a plan that works for you.

However, low carb does work well for some. There are some great recipes on the Atkins website and other places on the web where you can design your daily meal plan. And, remember, LCHF is not necessary high protein, nor is it necessary high meat protein so you can control the budget. You will probably eat more eggs on Atkins and, of course, bread, crackers and junk carbs are out. My normal meals are some sort of protein source and veg or salad or both. I miss my fruit but add it in only occasionally.

My friends and I have also been interested in Dr Jason Fung videos about Intermittent Fasting. I know, I know but the videos are convincing if you have a lot to lose and NO eating disorders. The routine that we have found helps with budging plateaus (of months duration) is to fast for 16 hours in 24 and eat for 8. Same calories, same foods. So, we basically skip breakfast and eat between lunch and 8pm at night. Seems to work. But we are still eating all our calories and nutritional needs each day, just different spacing.

Again, I say, if losing, you are not at a plateau. If you are getting close to your ideal weight, slowing down is normal and expected.

Good luck!