Low Carb Foods

Options
What types of low carb foods would you take on a multi-day (6 day) backpacking trip, aside from the obvious answer of Quest bars?

For example, what would you eat for breakfast? Assume eggs are not an option (PITA to carry) and anything that needs to be kept cold (sausage, bacon) is also not an option. Would you just dehydrate these things?

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have dehydrated eggs before with varied levels of success. THey always dried out but how good they were upon rehydration varied. I have some in the freezer right now that need powdered. Buying powdered eggs may be worth it though.

Beef jerky, pouches of tuna and single serve Spam in a pounh are often parts of my backpacking protein. THere are also pouches of chopped chicken breast that while a little texturally off, are palatable in a soup or something. You can make several meat and vegetable based soups pretty easily with a dehydrator. Some of the hard cheeses will last that long. I've used shelf stable cheese and summer sausage like you would get in a gift basket. I have found dehdrated taco meat and refried beans rehdrate well. I am typically slathering into a tortilla but you could easily just eat them in a bowl with some taco sauce packets or squeeze a single serve packet of velveeta sauce.

If you buy ghee or separate butter yourself it is good for quite awhile. You will probably need to get quite a few of your calories from fats on a long trip that you are trying to stay low carb.

I tend to eat fairly low carb but I make and exception for backpacking.