Bodyweight Training--Body by You

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi! Is anyone on here doing this? I've been using this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345528972 for about two months now, and I've really made gains in strength! I like the simplicity of Bodyweight training, the fact that it's cheap (no gym required!) and that I can do it pretty much anywhere (so, theoretically there's no excuses--but I can find some still, on occasion). The only tricky part is getting my son to pick up his legos before I have at it. I'd love to have others to chat with about it!--Oh, I'm listing it as "Circuit Training" on MFP.

Replies

• Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I've just downloaded it on kindle- looks like my kind of thing. 24 steps to a single pullup :-)
    I'm going to start my evaluation tomorrow. Let's hope I manage exercise 1 at least...
    I've got 80lbs to lose- I might as well make the extraweight work FOR me!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that particular book but bodyweight exercises are pretty awesome. You can find some pretty crazy looking guys doing really advanced workouts with a pullup bar. Here are a couple of good links for basic bodyweight exercise overviews if anyone is interested:

Basic circuit
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0

Different circuit with some additional exercises
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bodyweight-workout/#axzz2WzKYwso3

Enjoy!
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Thanks lrmall01! Those are great links! Rosy67, you should friend me! (Or, actually, I'll friend you!) I'd love to be able to post status updates with someone who knows what the numbers in the book mean. It's fun, and much less intimidating than some of the bodyweight books out there (Convict Conditioning was just a little too, uh, alarming for me!). Also, if you have questions about the exercises, I might be able to help. I have a kindle too, but I ended up getting the old fashioned kind of book--I wanted to be able to write in the journals, etc.
  • Rosy67
    Options
    Oh my heaven. I hurt- just after doing half the evaluation this morning! Feels great though :happy:

So my baseline results:

Pulling- very scary as I don't trust my door hinges to hold my weight, so I ended up having to improvise with a towel around one of the struts of my stepper machine. Copped out on exercise 3 after 3 reps so will be starting on Exercise 1 (Let Me Ins with legs slightly bent)

Squatting- got to overhead squats no problem, then fell over when I tried to do my first sideways lunge :embarassed: So that will be Exercise 5 as a starter lol

Perpendicular pushing- can just about manage push-ups from the kitchen island unit, but conked out after 3 with close grip, so that's an Exercise 3 start

I'll be doing the rest of the evaluation on Tuesday (in-line pushing and bending), then my workout days will be Friday Sunday Tuesday

Here's to having buns of steel, even if they are slathered in a few inches of fat for the next few months!

What did you start on, AbbeyDove?
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    So this is something you can start if you have muscles like wet noodles? (Zero to ten on a fitness scale, I feel like a negative two most days.)

Have done very little in the way of exercise for the past six months due to joint pain. The pain is getting better with paleo eating, but I feel like I'm starting from scratch so far as toning and conditioning. I started doing some knee strengthening exercises I found on a website for knee pain, and strengthening the muscles around the knee really does seem to make a difference, so I'm ready to start trying with the rest of the body if I can find something kind to a beginner...
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, how long are the workouts? And can they really be done anywhere? Like with a toddler running around? In an old house with rickety doors? I've almost bought this book a couple times, still on my wish list.
  • Rosy67
    Options
    I think it would definitely be worth a try. Wet Noodles R Us! The only downside I can think of is that if your hands give you gyp, you may find it a bit uncomfortable at first. Just thinking, because I was actually quite grateful I wasn't starting on pushups against a wall- it bent my wrist back so much. I'm fine clutching the edge of my kitchen worktop, though! And some people have mentioned they find it hard to hold a towel to pull against because their fingers can't take it. Apparently if it's finger muscle strength, that improves quickly. If it's small joint pain, that may be more of an issue...
  • Rosy67
    Options
    I'm curious, how long are the workouts? And can they really be done anywhere? Like with a toddler running around? In an old house with rickety doors? I've almost bought this book a couple times, still on my wish list.

Workouts are 20 minutes in cycle 1 (at least 1st 4 weeks), then 20 or 30 after that depending on how many sets you have to do that day (4 exercises per day, 2 or 3 mins per set, 2 or 3 sets).
    Anywhere in the house yes, toddler yes, but rickety doors hmmm- look at how many screws your door hinges have got, as your body weight will be hanging off them. I chickened out and found an alternative.
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    You'd be surprised about the door thing! I'm 170 lbs, and I have a house with its original doors, built in 1952. I did Let-Me-ins off my bathroom door. Look at your door hinges and door handle. If they're a sturdy metal, they should be fine! Mine looked rickety, but worked fine. I'm on my 9th week. I stayed with the first two week pattern (2 sets of 12) because I need the shorter workouts. Here's the exercise numbers I started with:

Pulling: 3
    Squatting: 5
    Perp Pushing: 3
    In line Pushing: 1
    Bending: 13 (I have oddly strong legs)

As you can see, my upper body was totally wet noodle-y! I'm in my 9th week, and here's the exercises I'm on now:

Pulling: 8
    Squatting: 13
    Perp Pushing: 5
    In line Pushing: 4
    Bending: 21

I love the progress I've gotten from this, that it takes little or no equipment (we have a very small house! And I hate spending $ on weights I know I'm going to outgrow!), and that the workouts are short (especially if you stay with the 2 x 12). I have seen definite changes in my arms and in my body fat %. Friend me if you'd like to do this together! I post the activity as circuit training, which is basically what it is, and it's a very nice calorie burn!