getting ready to be sleeved

Options
Here's a little about me first. Im 29 fromTexas I've used mfp before and have been yo-yo dieting for passed few years but now I'm getting ready to be sleeved September 18 and would like some new friends who have had wls and can help me with what to expect for recovery and can help me with nutritional meals once I can have solid foods. Feel free add me also if you have instagram can add me there too my name is @llara2128

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the group. There's a ton of great info in the threads for you to look over.
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    Hello, also from Texas, had the sleeve 14 months ago. lost 190lbs in that time. I just started My fitness pal to log all my food intake. It is tough your first few months, or should I say it was for me. Recovery is not too bad, Your doctor will have a list of meds for you to get for after the surgery, get them they will help. I have thrown up a few times slipping back into eating too fast. I really looked forward to eating and was sad when I could only take a few bites. Remember to eat very slow, chew really good when you transition to solids. Exercise helps and makes the weight come off rapidly. I was doing a mile a few days after surgery and lifting two weeks after surgery, big no no on the weights. You can cheat this, surgery, follow and plan your diet well. I suggest you don't drink, many patients become alcoholics after surgery. Many women I know that had this surgery, their hair falls out pretty bad, please ensure you eat well and follow your plan or your hair may fall out.
    Hot Green tea after surgery seemed to be really comforting for my stomach and I still drink it to this day.
    I wish you all the best and I am excited for you on this journey!
    Please write if I can assist or encourage you in anyway.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I was sleeved on 2/17/15.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've seen it said over and over, but it's true, the post-surgery time goes so fast. Some tricks: buy really small forks and spoons, I eat out of a 1/2 cup measuring cup so I can keeping up with my quantities. If I don't, I over eat and feel miserable for a while. Get unflavored protein powder that you can put in all kinds of different foods to boost protein (as a vegetarian, I'm not eating meat, so this is important for me). You should have vitamins with biotin and omega 3, and flax meal/oil for the hair/skin support. And make sure you ask about a med for gall bladder support (I have to take this for 6 months so my gall bladder doesn't explode or something - joking- but I do have a few gall stones and we didn't want GB issues). Also, do a Pinterest search for Bariatric recipes. They are even broken down into Pureed, Soft Foods, Ketogenic, etc. A good source of inspiration.
    What are your concerns? You have a lot of support here.