Where's the fast forward button?

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
I've been feeling a little impatient today. I want the weight to come off faster, I want to be in a smaller size of clothes (i lost 40 lbs (pre and post op) and still am the same size), and I really want for someone to notice my weight loss who doesn't know about the surgery. I'm a little over a month out (I had surgery on August 3). I know it's a matter of time. I feel like such a new person, between my new way of eating and my increased activity. I really wished the me that people see more closely matched the me I feel like I am!

Replies

• KyriaCathy
    KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    People began to notice after I lost 50 lbs. later around (75) I bought s few new scrubs that weren't hanging on me and that when I received the most dramatic responses!! AND…some people actually started to tell me I had lost enough and I should stop…smh! I was about 225 then! Geesh!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It'll happen and before you know it. zzzznurse is right - I had lost almost 60 lbs. before people started noticing it, and it was because of my clothes as well. Soon enough, you'll have compliments left and right.
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way. I lost 60+ lbs (still pre-op) and you know what people are asking me... Did you get a haircut? I want to smack them and say NO I lost a bunch of weight tell me I'm awesome! LOL
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    No one noticed a thing on me until about 4 months after, then everyone noticed. As long as you're healing and losing (even slowly), it's all good!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My experience from other weight loss attempts (been there, done that) was after 50 pounds people notice, AND that if you wear snugger clothes people notice. That seems weird, but it's my experience. Be patient. A flood of oohs and ahhs is coming soon! (I see such a dramatic difference in myself 30 pounds down, and my husband pats my tummy and says "Shrinking!" but not a lot of comments from others. Pffft.)
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yep to all of the above. Plus, the people who are seeing you now are usually people who see you really often and the change is so progressive they might not notice it till it smacks them upside the head someday. At like month 4 on, every time you see someone you haven't seen in a while you'll get a dramatic reaction. Losing 40lbs off your top weight is not as noticeable as losing 20lbs 4 or 5 months in. The noticeable factor sort of grows exponentially once you get past a certain threshold. What people will notice right now is you doing things you didn't do before, so get out there and try something new with your new body - it's never too early for that!
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    One day at a time in the sense of just taking care of your body. Pretty soon people will start to recognize. Remember people are sometimes afraid to say the obvious. What matters is what you think and how you feel.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    People are often hesitant to comment appearance, especially related to weight, especially to women. That said, at a point the change is so remarkable the acknowledgements will come.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It on about 60 pounds before people started noticing the weight change. I was also stubborn and cheap and kept wearing my old clothes which were baggy and lose. Once I hit the goodwill and found some better during work clothes, I started having more people notice.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It took about 60 pounds before I went down a size. Then it was only 40 for the next size, 25 for the next, and so on. Don't spend much on clothes when you start moving through sizes, it will pick up speed.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The day after I posted the message, I got my first compliment on losing weight from someone who didn't know about my WLS.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I started at 386 with a 20 pound loss presurgery. As the weight started coming off I got the occasional comment on being able to see the loss in my face, but I really think most people didn't "see" my loss until the first time I came to work in new clothes. Through this whole journey, I wait until I've gone down 2 sizes before I replaced things. When you go from a 4X on Friday to a 2X on Monday morning, well it's a huge and very noticable change. Funny! It will happen, probably the first time someone sees you in a smaller sized piece of clothing. Enjoy the ride! It's wonderful!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about when people notice your weight loss unless you are losing the weight for them. Just focus on healing, health, and your future plans. The surgery is all about you, your weight loss and emotional well being. Don't let other people control your emotions by wanting them to say something about your weight loss.
  • mskimpel
    mskimpel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about when people notice your weight loss unless you are losing the weight for them. Just focus on healing, health, and your future plans. The surgery is all about you, your weight loss and emotional well being. Don't let other people control your emotions by wanting them to say something about your weight loss.

I agree whole heartedly ! Never lose sight of your goal .