How much water do you drink?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
Just out of curiosity, how much do you drink? Do you flavor it, drink it straight up, with a twist, sweetened, unsweetened, in the form of tea or coffee or soda?

Seriously, I'm just curious, because I am always thirsty on this WOE but I am drinking 96-128 oz of plain filtered water each day in addition to my coffee. I'm STILL thirsty after 128 oz, but I don't have time to run to the bathroom that many times, and I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night or pull over on my commute to pee!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My water goal is 120 some odd oz. I haven't made it in a while. Generally, I'm counting my Kombucha (8 oz a day), and sometimes I'll have tea (12-14 oz per serving) or broth (12-14 oz per serving), but otherwise, I do my water straight. I might much on some pink himalayan salt between bottles, but that's it. And I count all fluid intake. I don't flavor my water (other than above, not even lemon or anything -blech!). I do maybe one diet soda a month.

As for excessive thirst, you might try checking your blood sugars, because that is one of the big signs of diabetes (excessive thirst), but I've also recently encountered theories of water/hydration thresholds. Supposedly (sorry, no link available) we have a hydration threshold. For most is is around 80-100 oz. If we push past that threshold, we'll get insanely thirsty. If we stick to that threshold, we're golden, and if we're under it, we're thirsty. I don't know that I agree, but it is what it is.

I mostly watch the color of my urine, because other than my B+C vitamin, if my urine is almost colorless, I'm good.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,545 Member
    Options
    Minimum 12 cups (96oz) and usually more (128oz). I don't count the water in coffee or my La Croix (sparkling water) but I do count the water I use to make passion tea (because we two tea bags I make a quart of uncaffeinated iced tea)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I do about 12 cups a day. More or less, but I count all fluids. Sometimes, it's flavored, but not always. As long as I'm drinking, I'm ok.
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am at about 12 cups a day as well.. straight up water lol.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't track - I don't have a goal - I don't carry water when I walk, but drink a couple of cups when I get home if I feel thirsty - generally drink extra after a kettlebell workout

I drink probably 8 cups of tea/coffee a day, and grab cups of water when in the kitchen if I feel like it

So maybe 12 cups a day

I work at home amd my trainer comes here - so its easier to get as I need it than for most people
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    drinking lots of water is way overrated.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty

If I'm exercising outside I will slam an aqua Gina and being 2 20 ounce water bottles

I'm talking in excess of a. Hour
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Funny, not as much now that my diabetes is under control.
    24 oz breakfast bouillon + few sips plain water to take pills
    20 oz plain water when I get to work
    20 oz bouillon break-time
    20 oz bottle to wash salt down
    12 oz in lunch shake
    20 oz for afternoon
    20 oz when I walk after work
    16 oz diet Ginger Ale before & dinner
    20 oz plain water after dinner if I'm thirsty :-)

Geez, I guess I'm the one draining the pond. :smiley:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    1 gallon more or less.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have NO idea. I drink when I feel like I need some but never force myself. I'd say at least 3 liters a day.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I aim for 75 oz. Work days I end up doing around 125, weekends I'm happy as long as I hit goal, then if I have any creamed coffee or alcohol I try to match them ounce for ounce with extra water.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least the "half your bodyweight in ounces" rule of thumb, and the past month or so I've been hitting 1 gallon consistently, not counting coffee.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I also aim for half my body weight in pounds, in ounces of water to drink. As I lose weight, I am drinking less, unless it is very hot out, or I am exercising or fasting, then I drink more. Mostly plain water, 3 cups of coffee, maybe one cup of tea Andy Natural Calm in hot water before bed.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink about 60 ounces of water daily, 16 ounces of coffee, and then I'll sometimes have a 16 ounce unsweetened tea or a 12 ounce can of diet soda. It's been super hot and humid the past few days so my fluid intake has gone way up. It will probably be less when January-February hit and we are lucky to crawl out of the 20s for the daytime high.

I like my water with lemon. Yum.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 8 cups (64 oz) @ day (non-fasting)
    I up that to 10 cups, (80 oz) @ day if water fasting.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
  • lodro
    Options
    Why are you all drinking so much?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I drink about 12 cups a day (excluding coffee & tea)... more when I do hot Yoga.
    lodro wrote: »

Low-carb diets (especially keto diets) have a diuretic effect. Better to drink more than less...
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    PowerAide Zero

I do drink one big jug daily.

That was added for electrolyte replacement for the low carb diuretic effect

They are 68 cents at Walmart
  • lodro
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I drink about 12 cups a day (excluding coffee & tea)... more when I do hot Yoga.

Low-carb diets (especially keto diets) have a diuretic effect. Better to drink more than less...

doesn't it make more sense to up your electrolytes then? the only thing you do by drinking so much would be to flush them out
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    doesn't it make more sense to up your electrolytes then? the only thing you do by drinking so much would be to flush them out

I definitely supplement with electrolytes as well. There's no harm in drinking 8-12 cups a day (or more) to ensure you're adequately hydrated though. There is such thing as water intoxication from drinking too much, but it's not easily done.