Doctor's appointment- Cross post

Options
I went to see my bariatric surgeon on Wednesday. My weight there was 288.0. I've lost 16 lbs since last time I seen him. I am so excited. He says I'm doing well, although losing slowly, he's pleased by my progress. He mentioned that I'll be a success as I'm not losing so quickly that my body can't keep up with it and rebound gain. YEAH!!!!!

I am so excited by this. I truly was starting to believe I made the wrong decision, having my insides rearranged. I did admit to him that once the RD gave me permission to start eating crackers again... (no bread, toast, bagels, etc until month 6).. but crackers at month 3, that I think I completely screwed up and ate more carbs in the form of crackers than I did protein. I truly believe that's where my downfall started and I hit a brick wall for 10 weeks straight. Then Carly, ya darling, explained about low carb and told me about the LC daily forum. I joined, I read, I asked questions and more questions and more questions..... until I felt like I understood.

Now... I'm hear to state that today 09/10/15 I am starting VLCHFMP. I thought I had a grasp on it before, but now, I have more knowledge and the consent of my doctor. He actually said when I mentioned going into NK (Nutritional ketosis) that I need to watch my electrolytes (Sound familiar Carly??? LOL).....and watch as I start to feel the best ever of my life.

I felt as though I needed to share the above here as confirmation that if you get the right doctor who understands NK, not only are they aware of the awesomeness of it, but very aware of what you can achieve.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Yipee! Get it, gurl! :wink:

NK isn't so bad really. Am such a sugar-a-holic, but I'm totally happy with this WOE. It may seem restrictive, but there is really so much leeway and so much tasty. Even at 20g or 30g net carbs. You just have to open up your creative side.

What is your planned carb level?
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tried 4 weeks for 20g net. I'm changing to 30g net to allow for a bit more veggies if I want them.

I think I just needed the surgeon to tell me I was on the right track. Like he said "Carbs are poison to you, your body rejects them and causes you to gain weight"... that's all I needed to hear. Someone to validate how I was feeling.

I don't really have a creative side, but I have recipe books and plan on trying new things out of them.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    that's great - you are having success and found support in your doctor - wonderful!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! *dancing around* This is such great news!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That validation is awesome! It's great that you have a surgeon who understands and supports this woe! I've watched your struggle to get here, but am so glad you made the choice and stuck it out! You are awesome! Keto On friend!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Thanks Karla. It's been a huge struggle and I really wish I'd found this group/woe/wol before my RNY. It's hard when 2 prior WLS just don't work and you're praying to God that something works for you. When I had the sleeve in 2012, I lost about 50lbs and then just stopped.... Regardless of how I ate, drank, exercised... nothing worked. 50lbs off was it.

I'm so glad I stuck this out also. I truly believe this WOE/WOL will create a whole new life for me. One I participate in, not watch as it passes me by.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Same surgeries! Wishing I could go back and find this woe before having two major (and expensive) surgeries also. Though, it is what it is and I'm glad we are here now! :smiley:
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    :D Very glad.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    but I have recipe books and plan on trying new things out of them.

That's the way to do it. Also search r/ketorecipes and browse some of the recipe sites in the Launch Pad list. The aren't all ketosis-level low-carb but some are and you'll find loads of ideas there.
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Validation is key. Sometimes we think we are the only ones having difficulty. I had a lapband put in, in 2004 and it started out fine. apparently It slipped and my surgeon didn't catch it even with my concern. I moved out of state and went to a different surgeon who ex it immediately and I had it removed. I am now on low carb, high protein and have never felt better! I have had no bread products, or sugar for 5 weeks. I have lost 19 lbs and crave veggies instead of chips and big *kitten* sandwiches!

You are doing great, and hats off to all the support here in this group!
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed not ex d. Lol
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The thing is that some who have weight loss surgery convince themselves (me included) that they can eat the same foods they always have since they can't eat much of it at a time. Was a detrimental mistake! I don't know why it's finally clicked that the old foods are poison for me, but I am so glad it did!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    I tried 4 weeks for 20g net. I'm changing to 30g net to allow for a bit more veggies if I want them.

I think I just needed the surgeon to tell me I was on the right track. Like he said "Carbs are poison to you, your body rejects them and causes you to gain weight"... that's all I needed to hear. Someone to validate how I was feeling.

I don't really have a creative side, but I have recipe books and plan on trying new things out of them.

That's awesome! Many physicians/surgeons are not that progressive in the way they view and treat carb intolerance. It gives me hope that the medical community is starting to endorse alternative WOE to patients. Now, if we can just get them to RECOMMEND them. :smile:

BTW, I read your other post about carb loading. The nurse was wrong to tell you to eat a chocolate bar. The misery you experienced was probably "dumping syndrome". If you had a roux-en-y, you cannot tolerate that much sugar. It can make you nauseous, dizzy, crampy, and have diarrhea to the point that your butt burns. Just for future reference.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I actually finally only considered changing my diet because of all the FOREVER limits I wasn't willing to endure with WLS (and the risks utterly terrified me). It is quite funny to me in that whole ironic way that the things I wasn't willing to consider going without FOREVER are now mostly on the list of things I can live without! LOL
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful news! You are doing awesome!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What a great post! So happy that you've found the answers you've been needing and are on a healthy path. Amazing that you have a great and supportive doctor! That's so awesome!
    I can't wait for the day this becomes common knowledge so that so many, many more people can be helped by this simple information.