FYI on how to eat at special events?

I'm going to a wedding/reception in a week. I've been doing keto for five weeks now at as close to zero carb as humanly possible. The buffet at the reception is barbecue smothered in carby sauces and there won't be any nutritional information available. My intuitive plan is to eat at home and pretend to eat at the wedding. But can I get away with one small non-keto meal? Based on how I'm feeling (intense energy, ability to fast comfortably, consistent weight loss), my guess is that I'm keto adapted at this point. Even if I am, I definitely don't want to push my luck.

What food for thought or morsels do you have for me to nibble on?

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Oooh, good question! I'm going away this weekend and was going to post the same thing. I'm interested to hear the responses too.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Add this to a dozen or more "special occasion" eating challenges that we face if we are serious about nutritional Ketosis as a lifestyle.

First - AM I serious about this? If I'm not, then this wedding or that family reunion or Thanksgiving or whatever will be my downfall. They don't stop coming until I master them. I must be honest with myself.

Next - AM I hugely offending someone I care about offending by not eating or bringing my own food / snacks? Deal with that issue separately from the food.

Strategies:
    **Fast. Yes, just smile and sip some coffee or whatever. EAT NOTHING! :-) Surprisingly easy if you're keto adapted. Really hard if you're not.

**Bring a snack. Seriously. Zip lock with a couple pepperoni sticks in them and an ounce or two of thinly sliced parmesan cheese and I'm good! IF... (see above ketosis comment).

**Talk to people. Engage. Laugh. Don't think about food. You might be surprised how much is just in your own head.

**Pick at your food. I think nothing about picking out the carb friendly foods and leaving the rest. I was at a buffet and ate the egg salad off the bread from egg salad sandwiches and left the rest. I've eaten the meat from casseroles and scraped the topping off pizzas, and most dinners have SOME kind of salad!

Bottom line - we can do this.

I have to do this.

Carbs are poison to me and have been shortening my life. This isn't about fitting into old clothes or losing 20 lbs for a self esteem boost.

When I see things in their true light it gets easier.
  • JENIPENNY123
    JENIPENNY123 Posts: 13 Member
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Oooh, good question! I'm going away this weekend and was going to post the same thing. I'm interested to hear the responses too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one hahaha. Is this your first big event since starting Keto?
  • 4031isaiah
    Well, it's my first weekend away from home since I started 4 weeks ago. I had a bunless Big Mac for dinner tonight and I'm planning on a breakfast sandwich in the morning without the English muffin. I never thought I'd ever rely on McDonald's to help me stick to an eating plan but...

As for eating a non-Keto friendly meal, from what I've read, if you are careful with your carb intake and are diligent about getting right back on track, it can take as little as 24 hours to get back into ketosis so I'm not going to sweat not having access to my own refrigerator or not being able to prepare my own meals for a day and a half.

I say make the best choices that you can with what you have access to and then get back on track as quickly as possible.
  • JENIPENNY123
    JENIPENNY123 Posts: 13 Member
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Well, it's my first weekend away from home since I started 4 weeks ago. I had a bunless Big Mac for dinner tonight and I'm planning on a breakfast sandwich in the morning without the English muffin. I never thought I'd ever rely on McDonald's to help me stick to an eating plan but...

As for eating a non-Keto friendly meal, from what I've read, if you are careful with your carb intake and are diligent about getting right back on track, it can take as little as 24 hours to get back into ketosis so I'm not going to sweat not having access to my own refrigerator or not being able to prepare my own meals for a day and a half.

I say make the best choices that you can with what you have access to and then get back on track as quickly as possible.

This is a relief, Isaiah! Thanks for the practical advice! I definitely don't want to undo any of my progress.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited September 2015
    This is a relief, Isaiah! Thanks for the practical advice! I definitely don't want to undo any of my progress.

Well, I've only been at it 4 weeks, so I'm by far and away no expert, that's just the approach I'm taking so I don't feel like a failure.

Btw, I know my username says Isaiah but it's actually Christie :).
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    nicintime wrote: »
    Add this to a dozen or more "special occasion" eating challenges that we face if we are serious about nutritional Ketosis as a lifestyle.

First - AM I serious about this? If I'm not, then this wedding or that family reunion or Thanksgiving or whatever will be my downfall. They don't stop coming until I master them. I must be honest with myself.

Next - AM I hugely offending someone I care about offending by not eating or bringing my own food / snacks? Deal with that issue separately from the food.

Strategies:
    **Fast. Yes, just smile and sip some coffee or whatever. EAT NOTHING! :-) Surprisingly easy if you're keto adapted. Really hard if you're not.

**Bring a snack. Seriously. Zip lock with a couple pepperoni sticks in them and an ounce or two of thinly sliced parmesan cheese and I'm good! IF... (see above ketosis comment).

**Talk to people. Engage. Laugh. Don't think about food. You might be surprised how much is just in your own head.

**Pick at your food. I think nothing about picking out the carb friendly foods and leaving the rest. I was at a buffet and ate the egg salad off the bread from egg salad sandwiches and left the rest. I've eaten the meat from casseroles and scraped the topping off pizzas, and most dinners have SOME kind of salad!

I have to do this.

Carbs are poison to me and have been shortening my life. This isn't about fitting into old clothes or losing 20 lbs for a self esteem boost.

Good advice that is also applicable for when going out to eat with friends.

• 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    how did it go??
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member

Strategies:

I have to do this.

NIC, that is a wonderful response! I couldn't of said it any better myself! Especially the last three sentences.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Got my first challenge - family meals - with my married kids - I allowed that I would go over my 25 carb goal but wanted to avoid getting too high- so I made a guess about what food would be served and added in advance on MFP - like my daughter bringing a cake. Then I trimmed or reduced quantities to make a better estimated total. I don't have a smart phone so I could not adjust or look up at the actual meal. I skipped breakfast. I ended up making one error - had a gluten free bagel that was way higher than I expected so I ended up with a net carb of 54 which was just fine for me.
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    My biggest weakness is avoiding wine and alcohol at social events. Once I have a drink, I continue drinking and I usually munch on carb loaded junk.

A few weeks ago my doctor said I had to stop drinking for a bit. It's been easier than I thought. My friends have been pretty understanding after I explain I'm on medication. Usually they'd say its only 1 drink and I can diet later. I might keep the medical excuse up since it works so well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Plus, you can always pour water or a keto friendly beverage into a wine glass or something so you don't feel like the outsider. water can pass for white wine, and a diet something can pass for other stuff... I was told also, that you can pick up drink and carry it around (if that wouldn't be tempting for you) and most folks won't ever notice that you haven't drunk it. Put it down at some point when you're bored of carrying it...
  • Emmie112
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Plus, you can always pour water or a keto friendly beverage into a wine glass or something so you don't feel like the outsider. water can pass for white wine, and a diet something can pass for other stuff... I was told also, that you can pick up drink and carry it around (if that wouldn't be tempting for you) and most folks won't ever notice that you haven't drunk it. Put it down at some point when you're bored of carrying it...
    Thanks I didn't think using a wine glass. I've just been ordering club sodas. It passes as a mixed drink and it's zero calories

• KnitOrMiss
    Emmie112 wrote: »
    Thanks I didn't think using a wine glass. I've just been ordering club sodas. It passes as a mixed drink and it's zero calories

Honestly, I just thought about it because a wine glass is easiest to carry with my wrist pain! I have chronic tendinitis in my right wrist, presumably related to my right index finger amputation, so holding a heavier glass is harder on me. Remember, too, that some club sodas/tonics have carbs. I don't remember why, but some do...

But I'm happy to know you've found a solution that works for you!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    I always pretend to eat and I drink water. When they ask why, I say: health reasons. And it's true.
  • KnitOrMiss
    The drink trick was more for the Keto-er's frame of mind, more so than the outsiders. Sometimes we need to trick ourselves as much as anyone else...
  • Emmie112
    The drink trick was more for the Keto-er's frame of mind, more so than the outsiders. Sometimes we need to trick ourselves as much as anyone else...
    It's definately for me. I want to sip on something if all my friends are. And I'm less likely to get an alcoholic drink if I already have one in my hand.
  • rungrrl
    rungrrl Posts: 25 Member

Strategies:

I have to do this.

Such Excellent Advice!!
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    hi all! I will face same situation again today I am better now.
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    Eat all the butter pats!

(JK)