First 70.3 race!

Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
i completed my first 70.3 distance event!! it was hilly as *kitten*, and while i prepared for the nice hilly bike course, i was very unprepared for the hilly run. not too proud to say that i walked up all the hills. i'm baffled at how many people i saw walking or running incorrectly going down hill. thats where i made up some time!!

by the way, it was a Toughman race. if you don't know toughman, it's a brand that puts on half-iron distance events, all around the country. if you are looking for something fun and challenging, and much less expensive than an Iron Man race, check it out!!

http://toughmantri.com/index.php

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Congrats!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Nice! I did Toughman Alabama earlier this year. They took us through some neighborhoods just so that we'd have to go up and down some extra hills :-) I'd recommend the race series too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Congrats!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Congrats!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Congrats!! *I'm looking to do my first 70.3 in 2016.
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    MDLNH wrote: »
    Congrats!! *I'm looking to do my first 70.3 in 2016.

Me toooo!!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Nice work! Did my first one this year as well. Such a great distance. I'm planning a repeat in 2016.
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    I'm considering doing my first in 2016. I've done many half marathons and century bike rides (and was part of a 70.3 relay team- I was the biker- this year). I'm just sooooo worried about the swim. I would have no problem doing the swim distance wise, but I'm still freaking out about 50% of the time during shorter races (I've now completed 7 tris). That said, I've always finished (just really out of breath, scared of out my mind, and with disappointing swim times).

Anyway maybe Racine or Steelhead (since those are geographically close to me and July-August races gives me more opportunities for open water swimming beforehand). I am planning on joining a masters swim club in January to force me into the water more.
  • randycj7
    randycj7 Posts: 11 Member
    I am signed up for my first 70.3 Steelhead in August of 2016
  • Capt_Apollo
    eabernst wrote: »
    I'm considering doing my first in 2016. I've done many half marathons and century bike rides (and was part of a 70.3 relay team- I was the biker- this year). I'm just sooooo worried about the swim. I would have no problem doing the swim distance wise, but I'm still freaking out about 50% of the time during shorter races (I've now completed 7 tris). That said, I've always finished (just really out of breath, scared of out my mind, and with disappointing swim times).

Anyway maybe Racine or Steelhead (since those are geographically close to me and July-August races gives me more opportunities for open water swimming beforehand). I am planning on joining a masters swim club in January to force me into the water more.

the swim is the shortest part of the race, but i know most people worry so much about it. remember, it's just a swim, and in the grand scheme of the whole race, it will not effect your overall time that much.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    The swim is my weakest leg but I've learned to enjoy it partly because my goal is to finish relaxed and ready for the bike. Focus on good form rather than speed. Thinking about how different the experience is from normal life also adds to the wonder.
  • Capt_Apollo
    The swim is my weakest leg but I've learned to enjoy it partly because my goal is to finish relaxed and ready for the bike. Focus on good form rather than speed. Thinking about how different the experience is from normal life also adds to the wonder.

thats a great mentality!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    randycj7 wrote: »
    I am signed up for my first 70.3 Steelhead in August of 2016

I'm thinking about doing this one also.