Hashi's and Pregnancy Symptoms

Options
lindsey1979
lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
For those that have a hypothyroid condition (especially Hashi's), did you notice a shift in your thyroid meds once you got pregnant?

This is my first pregnancy and I'm noticing that I'm much warmer (sweating even a little bit sometimes) and having a HORRIBLE time sleeping (only slept through the night once in the last 3 weeks). But it's not infection high (nothing 99.5+) -- my normal temp is in the low 97s and now it's in the mid/high 98s. Nothing crazy, but it's noticeable to me. It's very early -- only 6 weeks in or so. It makes me wonder if my thyroid levels are now off (i.e. I'm a little hyper) and need to reduce. Before the pregnancy, my levels had been pretty steady for a while (over a year). And I'm not experiencing any of the heart racing issues that I have before when I was hyper.

So I'm wondering if these are just normal pregnancy symptoms or could I need an adjustment in my thyroid meds? For those that have been pregnant and on thyroid meds, did you guys experience a need for a shift at all? And, don't worry, I've got a call into my doc already (no blood tests yet), but just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this at all and what were your experiences.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy symptoms can be all over the place!

For my first son I maintained the same med dosage and for my second son I had to increase my dosage!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Well first of all congrats on the wonderful news!!!

Any hormone with a similar polypeptide receptor site can impact TSH hormonal balance and pregnancy is one of the most common triggers. Hormones are also very body mass sensitive, so as one increases mass, the corresponding gland will attempt to produce more as the hormones tend to get lost in serum. Many docs incorporate a body mass formula when prescribing, so your doc will probably not want to reduce your dose now, especially if you have been stable for a year.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Well, my doc responded and he said "since hormone levels do fluctuate with pregnancy, most notably, sex hormone binding globulin", it's possible that I am slightly hyper now. So he's reducing the dosage with the caveat that we can increase it again if I feel worse (which may be the case because he also noted that insomnia is a common symptom of early pregnancy). So, it looks like we'll do a little trial and error and see how it goes.

FWIW, I've not actually gained any weight yet -- it's still very early. In fact, I'm in the middle of a cut (which both he and my OB) said I could continue given my body fat percentage (no danger in being underweight). So, we'll see how this goes.

If anyone else has any experiences to share, I'd love to hear them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Congrats from here too. So very pleased for you. Sorry I've no personal or friends experiences to share.
  • ButterflyBites
    ButterflyBites Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats :smiley: I just had my third child 5 months ago - Your dr. should be checking your levels monthly, it is very important that they maintain healthy levels through-out your pregnancy. My dosage changed monthly until I was 8 months along. I will say that thyroid symptom wise I felt the best I have in 5 years while I was pregnant and the first two months after the birth - I never knew I could feel that good again.
    My best is advice is ask questions and make sure you are being monitored closely.
    Feel free to message me if you would like!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news. Congratulations! So jealous :-). Please make sure that you have frequent checkups - your dosage may need to be adjusted. I had been pregnant before I was diagnosed with Hashi so back then I was taking my l-thyroxine combined with iodine anyway, but I was told that should I get pregnant again I would be switched to meds with iodine or would need to supplement for the sake of the baby.
    As to how I felt - I felt great. I had next to no adverse symptoms ( maybe a bit of water retention at the very end ), felt very energetic ( I was able to exercise up to the big day minus one ) and could concentrate way better than I do now.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, your dosage should rather be adjusted up than down in the course of your pregnancy, but I am not a medical professional.