Having a hard time cutting sugar cravings, advice?

Options
I have no problem with cutting all fruit, starchy carbs, and starchy veggies. I can't seem to go enough days without eating sugar. I have substituted truvia in almost everything, but I feel like it makes no difference in craving sweets. How do you guys manage?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Cut out the fake sugar crap too. You don't need it and after a few weeks your cravings for sugar will subside. Cold turkey. No slow wean...it won't work. Get rid of it.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth. I knew I needed to go cold turkey with no sugar or sugar substitutes, especially for the first month. After that, I added back in berries and occasionally have a protein shake or bar with sucralose or sugar alcohols, but I find that if I eat those too frequently that I start craving sugar again. Also, avoid diet drinks-they really make you crave sugar.

In terms of managing cravings, when they happen I try to make something really decadent and satisfying that's low carb such as a steak with lots of herbed butter and creamed spinach with lots of cream cheese. It's so satisfying that it helps trick your mind that you want sweets.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitutes get me wanting more too. After a few months LCHF, I can have a bit now and usually stay in full control... Usually.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth. I knew I needed to go cold turkey with no sugar or sugar substitutes, especially for the first month. After that, I added back in berries and occasionally have a protein shake or bar with sucralose or sugar alcohols, but I find that if I eat those too frequently that I start craving sugar again. Also, avoid diet drinks-they really make you crave sugar.

This. A lot of people (myself included) find that sweeteners cause major cravings. Try going cold turkey - no sugar, no sweeteners - for a week and see if that makes a difference.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It is best to make a clean break IMO

just bite the bullet

After a time the flavor sensations changed for me

I found I like more spices and taste more

My kitchen has 30 or so spices and no table sugar

Not sure of that is a direct result but the timing was coincidental

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    For most people, like myself, it takes a clean break from carbs. Takes making the choice at first but after about 30days it becomes easier and easier. I went four months without any artificial sweeteners, then in June I added a sugar free iced coffee to my day. It didn't set off cravings, thankfully, but created an increase of 18 pounds over two weeks time. I can't really explain why other than it set up a chain reaction of inflammation in me that could have derailed me. If I hadn't had the pain relief and other benefits I am sure I would have given up with an increase like that. But, here I am. That is making the choice to stick with it! It's so worth it! :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I say the same as everyone else did. I had a major sugar problem! I had to just stop having sweets. Period.
    I didn't make sweet low carb treats or anything in the beginning and rarely do now. I can use stevia in my coffee now, but if I start using too much I notice that I trigger that "I want more" thought in my head. But I can totally resist it now.
    I really agree that cold turkey is the way to go. After a week or two, you should be good.
    Make sure you're eating enough and getting enough fat so hunger doesn't try to ruin it for you either.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I did not have the resolve to ditch them completely, so the only way I managed was to find a sweetener that triggers me the least (Sweet Leaf brand stevia), and only sweeten to tolerance, not to taste. I also did this with sugar free gum - find a flavor you can barely tolerate (for me, Trident Original flavor). Anything better tasting led me to want to binge eat whole packages of gum at a time, etc. Also, work to cut down the sweetener, however you do it. If you do sweetener in your coffee/tea, use one less packet (or half of one less) every 3-5 days. This is easier to adjust if you use liquid with a dropper.

I also found that sweet fat bombs with fruit flavors (strawberry cheesecake fat bomb was my experience), if I sweetened them to taste, made me want to binge on sweets more, because of the combination of all the pleasure points. Sweet, salty, tangy, cream, rich, decadent, etc. It was too much. Now I can handle them, but only allow myself small doses... And I need to cut back the sweeteners in those too. I want to get to a point where even not-too-ripe berries are sweet enough on their own for me...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others that say cut out everything that's got added sweet flavor. I find I really struggle with the cravings as soon as I gear my brain to expect them.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said about the sweeteners, but also how many carbs are you eating? I find that when I am higher in carb, regardless of source, I have more cravings. So even though I can still lose weight at a higher carb count, I have tons of trouble with overeating and binge eating and slipping up eating things I shouldn't because my cravings aren't under control. I've also learned that peanut butter is a trigger for me. Everyone is different, so figuring out what works and doesn't work for you is a huge part of the process.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me it takes about 30 days before sugar cravings go away, and only way to get their is "white knuckling". And like many others, for me certain "fake sweets" set off sugar cravings -- worst for me is sugar free ice cream. Can't eat the stuff! But the reward at the end is worth it! Usually no cravings, and feel great! To get to the 30 day mark, I have to eat really well so I feel full -- not hungry. I do have to know my trigger foods, and stay away from them.
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    I'm of two minds on this subject. I completely agree with everyone else that eliminating sugars/sugar free products is the best way to avoid cravings. They just...go away. :smile:

However, during the process of losing those cravings and during PMS the occasional sugar free treat/drink saved my bacon. For me, the cravings rear their ugly head something terrible during PMS regardless of my resolve and length of time doing LCHF. So, while I don't incorporate them into my daily routine, I don't feel guilty if I eat them to keep myself from falling off the rails.
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    To get to the 30 day mark, I have to eat really well so I feel full -- not hungry. I do have to know my trigger foods, and stay away from them.

This is SO true. If you are at the beginning of your journey, eat until satisfied. Forget counting calories until at least two-three weeks in. If you try to deprive yourself while you are lowering your carbs, you will find yourself planted face first in pastries, ice cream, or a bag of chips.

• Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the sugar thing myself. I am NOT an artificial sweetner girl. Never drank diet soda and haven't used sugar in my coffee for years.
    After about 3 days, the cravings just were not there. I haven't had sugar or any processed foods in going on 6 weeks, and I never felt better! My crave comes for peanut butter...LOL But..I can have it!

Just hang in there. Bite the bullet and let it go. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The collective wisdom and experience in this thread is just awesome!

Not easy - at least short term, but true and life changing long term.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with cutting all fruit, starchy carbs, and starchy veggies. I can't seem to go enough days without eating sugar. I have substituted truvia in almost everything, but I feel like it makes no difference in craving sweets. How do you guys manage?

@sofiavega101 William Davis MD states in his 2014 Wheat Belly Total Health it is eating grain that gives us our 'Sugar' cravings. I went off sugars and grains a year ago and after only 2 weeks the sugar cravings just faded away. This last week I have been on the road and had a sugar load three times and still no cravings have returned so Dr. Davis may be onto the real cause of sugar cravings. It caused not return of the IBS either but I am not touching the grains.