Heavenly foods thread

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Since the founders and many of the followers of this group are folks with good taste (except Sara's weird fascination with pop-tarts...wtf?) I thought we should start a thread about "unhealthy" foods. Uncommon foods that sounds epically delicious are encouraged to be posted here. Recipes or ideas would be cool too.

Chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick
Cheesecake_on_a_stick.jpg

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I'm going to sit back and enjoy this if you don't mind. More please???
  • taunto
    Options
    Halwa Puri. This is a traditional breakfast for Fridays (Their version of Sundays) in Pakistan/India

xX2lzzc.jpg

The bread is puri. The dough is made with LOTS of clarified butter (Ghee) and then rolled around with more Clarified butter and then it is deep fried into .. you guessed it. More Clarified butter!

Then we have chick peas curry. Made with chickpeas, spices, some onions and tomatos and... more Clarified butter.

Then it is usually served with a potato curry. Made with potatos, herbs, spices, other veggies and... more Clarified butter

Then we have desert (did I mentioned this is breakfast?). The orange stuff you see is called halwa. Basically, its flour. Mixed with Clarified butter and then cooked with more Clarified butter.

So essentially, about 80% of the calories in this stuff is Clarified butter. And it is freaking delicious! I have been eating this stuff since I was a kid and have yet to eat more than 3 puris at a time. It is HEAVY stuff!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Since the founders and many of the followers of this group are folks with good taste (except Sara's weird fascination with pop-tarts...wtf?) I thought we should start a thread about "unhealthy" foods. Uncommon foods that sounds epically delicious are encouraged to be posted here. Recipes or ideas would be cool too.

That looks dangerous. I would be so excited about eating those that I'd probably poke my eye out. But it'd be worth it.
  • taunto
    Options

That looks dangerous. I would be so excited about eating those that I'd probably poke my eye out. But it'd be worth it.

So... just another "boys night out" eh dirt? :D
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    breakfast is served!

How about cheesecake with a double layer of red velvet cake?

0526131529a_zps12f4c983.jpg
  • taunto
    Options
    This is falooda. A popular dessert in Pakistan. It has condensed milk. Fruits. Flavored ice cream (vanilla, strawberry and pistachio being the famous choices), condensed fruit syrup, jelly, roasted pistachio and almonds, some japanese noodles (the ones they use in GOOD ramen in Japan) and some flower seeds that I don't know the name of in English. Incredibly delicious stuff!

eOGecqB.jpg?1
  • taunto
    Options
    breakfast is served!

How about cheesecake with a double layer of red velvet cake?

0526131529a_zps12f4c983.jpg

You had me at cheesecake, hoss!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I need to have some kidneys or livers VERY soon. Bugger the cake! If I wasn't counting calories I would have bought the livers today. So unfair but red wine won.
  • dirtnap63
    Options
    giuseppe-quintarelli-amarone-della-valpolicella-classico-docg-veneto-italy-10154457_zpsf9dd8c07.jpg

This. This is my weakness.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I am sending a respectful request thru taunto...I would like to marry the cuisine of India, and have its babies...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    giuseppe-quintarelli-amarone-della-valpolicella-classico-docg-veneto-italy-10154457_zpsf9dd8c07.jpg

What is it? Cant read it and don't know Italian.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That cinnamon bun ice cream Sara was eating a few days ago is on my list for my next cheat day.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just ate a toasted peanut butter and bacon sandwich for lunch, does that count?
  • taunto
    Options
    That cinnamon bun ice cream Sara was eating a few days ago is on my list for my next cheat day.

Sara finds the best ice cream. And this is coming from somebody who's boss owns an ice cream company...
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I make a chipotle maple bacon cheesecake to die for. I can't find my pictures of it now, but it's the greatest thing ever. Cheesecakes are my thing... and I've gotten them down to 600 calories (per serving!) without losing any of the perfection. :D
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    taunto, could they be poppy seeds? (google translate says "khasakhasa" in Hindi)?

I give you cheese dreams.. butter bread on both sides, dip in eggy bread mix (milk/egg) until sodden, then fill with grated cheese and fry on each side until perfectly browned and the cheese melts... my dad made these about once a year. awesome!

and I'd go for a curry at any available opportunity. mmm, curry...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to bake so there are probably tons of foods I could post. But since the zucchinis in the garden are almost ready to harvest I will post her chocolate chip zucchini bread.

9948020d-a840-49b5-ad6e-e477eaf3703c_zps37624649.jpg
  • dirtnap63
    Options

What is it? Cant read it and don't know Italian.

Only the most incredible wine in the world, a 1997 Giuseppe Quintarelli Amarone. Fortunately it retails at over $400 a bottle or I'd be a raging wino.