Carbs need to be low - but are calories important?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is good to be back home at a real computer that I can type on after our week long road trip in the midwest including Fort Frances in Canada. Gained 2 pounds and sucked down some sugar for the first time in 12 months. It was mainly custard from Culver's. The daughter started to work some part time at Culver's so we ate at Culver's 7 times in 7 days which included store #1 in Sauk City WI and a drive by of the home office.

CICO is just a twist on Energy In Energy Out (EIEO) which is just a way to measure efficiency of any system. In the scheme of the human body there are just so many chemical/hormone factors that effect the efficiency of each of our bodies when it comes to weight management. Just because CICO can not be computed very well for humans that does not make CICO invalid as a lab tool.

We know in humans counting calories is not needed to maintain an ideal weight in an ideal world and just a 100 years it was unheard of for weight management. Most all mammals maintain an ideal weight range in the wild if they have a full choice of unlimited food supply without them counting calories

When we think 1000 calories of Fat, Protein or Carbs going in will give the same weight loss, gain or maintenance then we have departed from using science and moved into magic.

As has been mentioned by others one way or another already we are all different and respond differently to identical CI.

If we had total health and full access to totally healthy foods then counting calories at each meal would not be needed because our ideal weight would be achieved without human thought. Yes I count calories from time to time just because I want to know how many I am eating to lose, gain or maintain. I understand I do not live in the wild so my natural body weight computer is damaged and my food choices is impacted by advertizing. :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    The number one reason I don't count calories (and frankly they irritate me a bit), is that I don't have to. When I'm eating well on LCFH and in ketosis, I would struggle to get the numbers high enough for MFP to log for the day! Like yesterday. Not hungry, perfectly satisfied, so fake food added so I would hit 1000.

The reason this WOL works has nothing to do with calories for me. I try to ignore them. It works cause my blood level in not spiking and dropping and I don't have these uncontrollable cravings to: 0e5m8tgtnp1x.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Junk Food and now Fake Food! :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Junk Food and now Fake Food! :)

Yup! Lol. wgsjvky7641j.jpg
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jessica,

You don't have to add entries like that. Just don't push the "Complete Entry" button!!! (LOL!) I haven't done it for 12 months now....

You will still have your streak, all of your food entries will be logged, and the "icing on your cake" ~ it won't post an annoying message to your status. A win-win situation! :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I know "you" think they are annoying, Dan, but I like them. ;)

I think long signatures are annoying. So much needless scrolling! JUST KIDDING! XD XD XD
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Jessica,

You don't have to add entries like that. Just don't push the "Complete Entry" button!!! (LOL!) I haven't done it for 12 months now....

You will still have your streak, all of your food entries will be logged, and the "icing on your cake" ~ it won't post an annoying message to your status. A win-win situation! :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 14 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
    Exactly. At the end of the day, just ignore the "Complete" button and go to bed. The next morning a new form is there to log or not. The world doesn't end. Black helicopters don't take you away. If you are honest, your history is there for you to learn from. If you lie in order to satisfy a computer it becomes harder for you (a real person) to learn how your body works.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I never hit the complete button. As soon as I do I am sure to eat something else and have to go back and change it. LOL
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Well, different strokes for different folks.