Meeting macros

How important is it to maintain the proper ratio of fat and protein? Obviously your carbs have to stay at a certain level. But what if, for example, you meet your protein goal for the day but not your fat one? Is that imbalance going to throw everything off? How much protein will potentially kick you out of ketosis?

Trying to figure all this out. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    In general, Set your carb limit. ex: < 25g Your protein range needs to be match your lean muscle mass and your workout level. One recommendation is .6g-1g per lb of lean body mass. The remainder of your calories come from fat. usually around 70-80%. This website is good to help with calculations and is often recommended here:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    So yeah, carbs are a limit, protein is a target range, and fat is only to satiety...

So - always under carbs - always aim for range on protein/a little over/under is okay - and only as much fat as you need to be satiated. It is not a goal, but an estimate. Never feel like the fat is a macro to "hit or beat."
  • ScaryCarrie444
    ScaryCarrie444 Posts: 13 Member
    I know that I do really well on 80f/15p/5c.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    I was stuck for 2 weeks and someone told me to start meeting my fat goal and with in three days I the scale started moving. Could have been for any reason I guess but now I get close to my fat goals
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    If you set your goal at a deficit (to lose weight), eating at an additional deficit is hard on the body, particularly when fats are what you compromise on... sticking close is what I suggest, if in doubt.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

One of the best calculator's I've found as far as realistic goals for calories and macros... And no, a larger deficit isn't always better. 0.5 - 1 pound per week MAX loss is recommended as far as goals. Your body may lose more or less than that, but the calories really shouldn't be reduced more than that...