Popcorn

gsrader
gsrader Posts: 13 Member
If I stay within all my limits for calories, carbs and fat, can I eat popcorn?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Popcorn is a grain. The effect it will have on you is probably not good.

Can you eat 1/2 or 1 cup?

If I start I'll eat a movie theater tub, so it is a no go for me.
  • gsrader
    Yeah, me too, nicintime. We split a bag of microwave popcorn, and that's probably closer to 5 cups. Like potato chips, can't eat just one!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Once you pop....I can't stop anyway!
  • gsrader
    Once you pop....I can't stop anyway!

My problem as well. My question was, if even with the popcorn, I remained within tolerances, would it be okay.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I have had a few pieces on occasion, literally less than ten kernels, with no complication.
  • totaloblivia
    I'm sure it would be fine but I don't think you would fit many in a keto allowance of carbs, but you would have to really love popcorn to spend your carbs on a few kernels. But hey we're all different which is great!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have had a few pieces on occasion, literally less than ten kernels, with no complication.

Good to know! It's always nice when someone actually answers the question. It doesn't just help the poster but also people like me who are still watching and learning.
  • gsrader
    Thanks, everyone! According to the food database, 1 serving of 5.5 cups is
    Calories 190
    Sodium 330 mg
    Total Fat 12 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 6 g
    Total Carbs 18 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 5 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 3 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Hi I'm new to the group and I'm happy to join this conversation.

I had half a large bag of popcorn on Friday night. It threw me out ketosis but by Saturday afternoon my ketones were back up and I had a blood ketone reading of 0.3mml.

I'm going to work it into my carb allowance next time I go to the movies.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    gsrader wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone! According to the food database, 1 serving of 5.5 cups is
    Calories 190
    Sodium 330 mg
    Total Fat 12 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 6 g
    Total Carbs 18 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 5 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 3 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Wow! This is encouraging... I love popcorn!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    Just because a MFP entry says so, doesn't mean it is, unfortunately. Many sources say that popcorn is 6.2g per cup. 1.2g fiber per cup. 5 cups would then be 31g total. So if that is all the carbs you eat in an entire day, I suppose it would work. If you were DYING for it. But... if you could limit to just 2 cups, you maybe could squeeze it in there. But you'd have to budget. Is it worth it? I love popcorn, but if I'm going to starve the remainder of the day over popcorn, people would die.
  • totaloblivia
    Emmie112 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to the group and I'm happy to join this conversation.

I had half a large bag of popcorn on Friday night. It threw me out ketosis but by Saturday afternoon my ketones were back up and I had a blood ketone reading of 0.3mml.

I'm going to work it into my carb allowance next time I go to the movies.

If I want to eat at the movies I have hot nuts. Or just a diet coke. Xx

• gsrader
    edited September 2015
    baconslave wrote: »
    Just because a MFP entry says so, doesn't mean it is, unfortunately. Many sources say that popcorn is 6.2g per cup. 1.2g fiber per cup. 5 cups would then be 31g total. So if that is all the carbs you eat in an entire day, I suppose it would work. If you were DYING for it. But... if you could limit to just 2 cups, you maybe could squeeze it in there. But you'd have to budget. Is it worth it? I love popcorn, but if I'm going to starve the remainder of the day over popcorn, people would die.

Well, shucks. What a killjoy! Some days it might be worth starving. I find I don't get hungry so often nowadays. I guess if I plan for a treat...

I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague, and haven't been a pop drinker for years, so that isn't a possibility. I've been eyeing some of the fat bomb recipes, though. That might be a better "treat" option.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    I can't imagine ever eating popcorn again. It's just not worth the intestinal distress I experience after eating it.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Popcorn used to be my favorite way to eat butter. It hasn't really appealed to me as much since I went LC though. (Popcorn that is, butter is still great!)
  • psenarighi
    psenarighi Posts: 33 Member
    My kid and I would go to the movie and she would go kernel for kernel with me and a large bag of popcorn had no chance. Now she struggles to stay up to 90LBS... Since I've gone Keto, I just get her a kids combo and I enjoy a couple pieces. No will power is really needed on my part. Then again we went to see the special Doctor Who theater showing last week she got the kids combo, mini donuts and candy... and I was more than happy not having any, keeping the eye on my prize of weight loss.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I'm with @Kitnthecat! The intestinal distress isn't worth sacrificing the carbs for! No popcorn for me either! Give me my bottle of water, and I'm happy!