Compression and Tape

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
I see stuff about compression leggings, socks, sleeves, leg sleeves.
Do they actually help performance?
Do they actually help with recovery?

Is it worth the money to invest in these? Or are they a gimmick?

I have the same questions around Rock Tape and other similar tapes.

I've had issues with my achilles and my calf so I'm wondering about these things to help with recovery and prevention

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I use compression shorts or tights to avoid chaffing and the tights to keep my legs warm.
    I do have a set of compression calf sleeves and I do think they help with recovery. I only wear them after a run, and if I wear them too long they can make my feet swell, so I couldn't imagine wearing them for actually running. I would like to get some quad sleeves too.
    The science is still out on whether or not they help performance. It seems to be a bit of a case of "If you believe they do, they will"
    Still not totally confirmed, but more positive studies in relation to assisting recovery.

I've used and will use rock tape/kt tape/etc for some support if I'm dealing with a niggle and I'm too pig headed to rest properly, or I think I need the support when I'm returning from injury. I may use rock tape as a preventative/support measure next weekend when I'm on my 50k pacing duties.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    thanks @taeliesyn
    good food for thought, as usual
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't see this come up.

So I wear compression top when I run or bike, always, not so much for any advantageous compressive effects but more to get moisture away from the skin without it pooling in places. On top of that I wear a looser running top or snug cycling jersey. I only use compression calf sleeves for races or if I have been getting niggles. As taeliesyn says not sure it really does anything but it psychologically if makes me feel stronger. However most training runs no calf sleeves. In winter I do use fleeced lined compression leggings largely to keep warm again not for any performance enhancement. Re tape never used the stuff so have no opinion.
  • mbaker566
    Options