I've fallen... and I can't get up!

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I had been eating Keto for almost a month when I went away for the weekend unexpectedly so I was unable to prepare myself in advance and I was not in a situation where I had much control over what was prepared to eat. I started out ok and made the best choices that I could make with what was available to me but by day 3, I'm sure I'd long since been kicked out of ketosis and the junk food cravings took over and got the better of me. I tried pulling myself together but I am falling apart at the seems...

I know I want to make the permanent lifestyle switch to Keto but with my crazy busy work and home life, I can't seem to get it together long enough to set myself up for success and get back on track.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to get back on track and kick the carb cravings that have been plaguing me since the weekend?

I was considering doing an egg fast or something? Is this a good route to take?

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Okay, since you are so busy, is your problem getting back to meal prep? I scramble a ton of eggs at once so I can just reheat each morning. For me, lunch is either leftovers, more eggs, etc., or a quick and dirty pizza on a plate which is cheese, low carb pasta sauce, pepperoni, nuked, then added grated parm to soak up any grease... Then dinner is some kind of meat, served with butter, cheese, or pan juices. Sometimes I have dark green veggies, roasted or steamed, with butter and/or cheese, etc. I add in some fat bombs or super dark chocolate (currently enjoying Green & Black Organic 86% Dark Chocolate) for snacks or when a dessert craving strikes hard. I chew trident original gum between meals, etc. That's me in a nutshell.

I have days when I eat worse, and days when I do better.

My theory when out:
    Order breakfast (ditch carby stuff - don't even let them bring it out or immediately move it to partner's plate)
    Order a bunless burger. Double patties. Cheese, bacon if you like. I like with mayo and mustard, with tomato and pickle.
    Order a steak or any non-breaded/non-sauced meat with broccoli or something slathered in cheese, salad no croutons.
    Pizza - ditch the crust, etc.

I don't have too much trouble out. My problem is heat/salt/water. I try to travel with dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, pink himalayan salt, gum, and low carb beef jerky. Aside from that, see above. If in doubt when others prepare food, scrape the sauce off meats, eat meats (butter can be room temp and some places even make it single serve packs, nut butters, too), veggies if low carb, salad with low sugar dressing, etc.). You might be a little hungry, but fill in the gaps with things you can eat and carry with...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    ...I add in some fat bombs or super dark chocolate (currently enjoying Green & Black Organic 86% Dark Chocolate) for snacks or when a dessert craving strikes hard. I chew trident original gum between meals, etc. That's me in a nutshell.
    ...I have days when I eat worse, and days when I do dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, pink himalayan salt, gum, and low carb beef jerky.

Wow! You're awesome! That was super helpful info. Where do you get the green & black dark chocolate? Is it sugar free? What about the gum? Is that sugar free?

I think I recall you posting about your fat bombs but I can't do dairy... For awhile I thought I was getting away with using butter but I think that's starting to give me problems as well...

Ugh! I really want Keto to work for me. I just am running into lots of bumps in the road impeding my progress.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Has anyone successfully done the egg fast to help get back on the wagon and get things going again? I've read a bit about it but I'm more curious about actual experiences.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    ...I add in some fat bombs or super dark chocolate (currently enjoying Green & Black Organic 86% Dark Chocolate) for snacks or when a dessert craving strikes hard. I chew trident original gum between meals, etc. That's me in a nutshell.
    ...I have days when I eat worse, and days when I do dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, pink himalayan salt, gum, and low carb beef jerky.

Wow! You're awesome! That was super helpful info. Where do you get the green & black dark chocolate? Is it sugar free? What about the gum? Is that sugar free?

I think I recall you posting about your fat bombs but I can't do dairy... For awhile I thought I was getting away with using butter but I think that's starting to give me problems as well...

Ugh! I really want Keto to work for me. I just am running into lots of bumps in the road impeding my progress.

The Green & Black is not sugar free. It has about 14 carbs per serving, which is about like 3 miniatures worth, but it is only 9 net, because 5 grams are fiber. If I slowly let the pieces melt in my mouth, 1/4 of a serving is perfect for that chocolate craving. 1/4 serving is 3.5 grams of carbs or 2.25 net grabs. For me, that is very doable for a snack that hits the spot.

It is organic, fair trade chocolate, so it's a little more expensive. Any organic type shop will carry it, but I've also found it at my local Walgreens. Last time I got it it was on sale at 2/$7 and those have lasted me 2 weeks I think...

For fat bombs, you do not have to use dairy. There are many recipes that just use coconut oil or ghee or cocoa butter (not sure if you can use the last two)...but my coworker regularly uses coconut oil for his treats. The trick is to get a good quality one. I didn't like it as much with the refined coconut oil, but I switched to an unrefined one (even though i hate the taste of coconut!!) and it's been great. Getting unsweetened coconut flakes and coconut chips would make for a good, dairy free fat bomb.

Google Paleo fat bomb or dairy free fat bomb for some choices. I've seen one that is like a chocolate coconut bar... Peanut butter is a good option in fat bombs when used with another fat. Generally, coconut oil can be substituted 1:1 for butter in any recipe. As for cream cheese, if those are in the type you look up, I think I've heard of silken tofu or something being used...sometimes nutritional yeast for the tang.

The options are out there if you know where to look!!! Gotta get creative. Don't be afraid to ask questions or bounce around on The Google... Just learn the keywords that help your searches be more productive to your needs.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully done the egg fast to help get back on the wagon and get things going again? I've read a bit about it but I'm more curious about actual experiences.

I have. It works great. Except I had to hover near the toilet from evening of day 2 through day 4. On day 5 I went back to eating less explosive foods. Like steak. But it was still a couple of days before everything went back to normal. Then again, I get tummy troubles on days 4-7 of returning to keto anyway. The eggs were just an added bonus. Like rocket fuel through a Ford Pinto.

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I have. It works great. Except I had to hover near the toilet from evening of day 2 through day 4. On day 5 I went back to eating less explosive foods. Like steak. But it was still a couple of days before everything went back to normal. Then again, I get tummy troubles on days 4-7 of returning to keto anyway. The eggs were just an added bonus. Like rocket fuel through a Ford Pinto.

I am currently struggling with the exact opposite problem, so maybe that would be a good thing for me.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

I am currently struggling with the exact opposite problem, so maybe that would be a good thing for me.

Throw some coconut oil in there, too, then. Just believe it when I say stay near the toilet!
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Like rocket fuel through a Ford Pinto.
    [/quote]

LOL

• 4031isaiah
    Options

Throw some coconut oil in there, too, then. Just believe it when I say stay near the toilet!

2tbsps of coconut oil every morning with my fake chai latte and literally NOTHING!!!
  • Azuriaz
    Options

2tbsps of coconut oil every morning with my fake chai latte and literally NOTHING!!!

Oh dear. Cook the eggs in coconut oil and if you eat dairy give it up for a few days, maybe get some more fibrous veggies in. That doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you! Hope it helps, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I go for a walk (in laps, so I'm never far away). Walking, squatting, coconut oil, caffeine, a technique called splinting, but my bowels don't want to wake up until 2-3 hours after I do. However, if you want an explosive reaction, have something with vinegar (several pickles?)...it's almost always...explosive with coconut oil.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    Oh yeah, and coffee! How did I forget the wonders of coffee to get things moving? It often works for me even though if you drink it daily you might want to soup it up espresso style or something.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    they don't call it "nature's exlax" for nothing.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS back in 2010 and I have since developed a sensitivity to dairy, legumes (including peanuts), fibre (or anything that creates bulk like psyllium, chia and flax), I have difficulty processing meat protein and I have an extremely low tolerance to caffeine and alcohol... It's crazy!

Sometimes I feel so restricted that I don't know where to begin and staying within those restrictions seems so impossible that it's hard to find the motivation to even try.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KOMBUCHA - and naturally fermented products will help you tons with restoring good gut bacteria. Start slow or the killing off of tons of bad bacteria and naturally detoxing can make you feel ill. I've been doing this about a month now and can't even begin to explain how great it is. I've had no gallbladder since December 2000, and anyone who's been there knows that means all manner of stomach THROUGH bathroom troubles...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Ive never heard of kombucha. I googled it and it says it's a fermented tea? Where would I find it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My walmart has it near the naked brand type smoothies, but nearly anywhere that carries organic natural foods will too. I'm about to start my own brew but used gt brand before that. Start slow so the killing off bad bacteria doesn't make you feel ill. 2-4 oz a day until you get used to it. Admittedly it is an acquired taste.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How do you kill off bad bacteria? Or does the supplementation of healthy bacteria do that naturally?