why isnt my scale moving...only week 2! Too much dairy?? help!

2»

Replies

• aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2015
    I wanted to chime in that I lose in what I like to refer to as "stages." I'll have a big scale drop across 1-2 weeks. Then it will be 1-3 weeks of my weight fluctuating around the same place, and then I'll finally have another big scale drop. Those "stall" weeks are frustrating, but it definitely helps to take your measurements. I only just recently started taking mine. I wish I had baseline measurements when I started! I lost a whole pant size during my last "stall"...despite the scale reading that I was actually a fraction heavier. I know part of this is hormone-influenced, but I think part of this is just how my body functions. My body takes it a couple weeks to adjust to the changes, before it allows more changes :smile: . Hang with it! :smiley:
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks guys...I think I have figured it all out!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I think it also can depend on how much weight you have to lose. I didn't have much to lose (15-20 pounds) and it took about 3-4 weeks to see the scale do anything.
  • fancyroberts
    but within that time (3-4 wks), you felt better regardless of the scale??
  • deksgrl
    but within that time (3-4 wks), you felt better regardless of the scale??

Oh, definitely. I felt so much better in so many ways, I can't even list them all.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I lost lots the first week then maintained for 3 weeks. Now i lose most weeks. Your body is probably in shock. If your carbs are in check and calories good then just be patient.
  • fancyroberts
    how many calories do you eat in a day?? Mine is set at 1350 (or around there) but usually I eat only around 1100 or so.....ugh....so many factors, so much to learn! I thought I understood this WOE!
  • deksgrl
    I am a 5'6" female, age 52. I eat generally between 1500-1800 a day. Though yesterday I experienced one of those really not hungry days and ate less than 1200, but that was the first time that ever happened to me.

How many calories you should eat depends on your height, weight, age, activity level, etc.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    My calories average 1500 a day. Some days less due to the wonderful unhungry days I have.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    how many calories do you eat in a day?? Mine is set at 1350 (or around there) but usually I eat only around 1100 or so.....ugh....so many factors, so much to learn! I thought I understood this WOE!

That entirely depends on your height, current weight, and how much you have to lose.
    Punch your stats in the keto calc mentioned above. If you have a lot to lose, choose a 15-20% deficit. If you have less than 20lb then select 10-15%.

Choose a level and stick with it for 4 weeks minimum. Do not keep tweaking every week. Changes can take up to a month to completely engage and show all its effects. If you keep changing, you'll never know which of the things are working. A stall is 4 weeks minimum. I know it's hard, but you need to let your plan ride for 4 weeks. If there is no further progress at that point, THEN change things. I know it is hard to be patient, but your body is onto you and may be putting up a fight. Sometimes people who go off low-carb (or any other WOE) and come back frequently have a harder time achieving progress again on the subsequent attempts. They don't know why that is. Until then, all you are doing is grasping at straws and driving yourself insane.
    1. Breathe.
    2. If you are comfortable at 1350, pursue it for 4 weeks, don't force yourself to eat unless you are finding you are getting a lot fewer calories than 1350, then sneak fat in to help you get there. Or plug in your stats to the aforementioned calc and follow it instead if that floats your boat.
    3. If after 4 weeks of consistent compliance and there is still no progress, no measurement changes either, then change it up.

Did I mention be patient? :wink: The hardest part. But you can't avoid it. Speaking from experience here.
    I wish there were a magic wand. But the body takes time to change. It took time to get overweight and it wil take time to get rid of it. And it won't consistently change at the rate we want. I know it seems like you've been slogging through the desert for months, but it's been 2 weeks. We need to stop and take a step back periodically so we can be objective. I feel like I've been slogging for years. It's been just over a year for me. When I step back and breathe, I realize it and calm down a bit. Then I can move forward from a better place mentally.

All we can control is our behavior. Eventually, when we use the correct behavior, the body will have no choice but to comply. It's going to take it's own sweet, meandering path to get there whether we like it or not, unfortunately. But it can't hold out forever. Take solace in that. It may take some work and time to find the right formula (aka-your sweet spot) but the time taken cements perfect habits that will serve you to keep your progress once you finally achieve it. Breathe. Take that time. It's worth it; I promise.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    What BaconSlave said

Don't tweak, just stick with it.

The fat will eventually go.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    We all have periods of time with no or little weightloss. I was the same weight for 11 days recently, then I suddenly lost 1.4kg in a few days.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I need a "ditto" button for @baconslave 's post.
  • fancyroberts
    Thanks to y'all! I will hang in there!!!! :wink:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    Just stick with it, that's the best advice I can offer. I remember feeling so scared in the beginning, not knowing what to expect. I had so much to learn, but mostly, so much to experience on my own ! It took quite a while for me to learn what kind of strategy works for my body, and my body alone.

I have had periods of time...about a month or more, maybe 5 weeks without a loss on the scale. Then I changed it up to kickstart weight loss again. Now I have reached such a state of calm and trust in my own body and the way I eat, that I know it is only a matter of time before all my excess weight it gone. I don't get frustrated anymore. I just gauge what I need to do weekly, daily.....without even thinking about it really.

I love this WOE ! I hope you will too !
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Hello,
    I don't understand why my scale isn't moving, I exercise every day and stay +/- 50 carbs per day and last week I had a big loss...this week, barely anything. Could it be the cheese I have been eating?? Any help is welcome!!!!

@fancyroberts for the first 6 weeks of <50 grams of carbs daily I did not lose even 1 pound but I did lose some body fat in the face and one inch at the beltline and never going hungry in the process because after the first two weeks my cravings just faded away.

LCHF really does not mean weight loss but the regaining of health that can enable weight loss. With humans CICO depends on many chemical/hormonal factors and if one is obese then one is out of whack and full recovery can take even years.

Hang in there in the meantime and read. Attending LCHF conventions by way of Youtube over the past year has been helpful for my understanding.