Memories in fat cells?

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I had an episode of severe fibromyalgia pain yesterday like I haven't experienced since beginning this woe. It came on all of a sudden (terrible body aches like your recovering from being beat with a baseball bat is the only way I can think to describe it, not that I've been beat with one though!), and had to hit the bed. Slept a couple of hours. Got up and began to feel better, then went about my day. No usual causes like a weather change to answer for it either.

My thoughts on this: can our fat cells store a memory of a food created issue, the way they store other hormones...then release it when being used for fuel, causing you to experience that "memory"? I am just curious because I would have had to stay in the bed much much longer, and probably have required some heavy drugs to combat it, before LCHF! Opinions?

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Clicked on this hoping for an answer to why I can't remember anything anymore! Lol. My mind is not as sharp as it used to be. Guess I'm just getting old... :/
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your painful episode. I kind of doubt the fat cell theory. You know how cells work -- they require specialized enzymes to move stuff across the cell membrane. It would be hard to get anything into or out of a fat cell that didn't belong there.

adipocyte-lipolysis.png
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks @Wabmester! I will continue my N=1 experiment!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a long time for the inflammation (if it is being caused by sugars) to die down.... Actually, I would guess it takes a long time for inflammation to go.

I'm a celiac, and I had inflammatory arthritis as one of my symptoms. I'd feel flu-ish, tired, headachy, get mouth sores and within a day or so I was having problems getting my arm up to comb my hair, nevermind getting my fingers to hold the comb. LOL It took a year of eating gf before it started to improve. A few years later, I still get minor flare-ups but I have many months between episodes now, it's of shorter duration (days instead of months), and the severity is greatly lessened.... all of which I am very thankful for!

The longer I do the things to help my body, and reduce inflammation, the better it gets. The immune system is tricky and likes to throw cureballs. There will be still set backs, but as long as the overall trend is towards improvement, then you know you are doing the right thing. :)

My last episode was when I went into ketosis - it was like the inflammation was fighting back - but it was mild and short. Overall, this diet really helps keep my inflammation down, but I' sure I'mm still get the occasional blip.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    From a purely biological standpoint I agree with wabmester. The only thing I can think of would be if those fat cells which are now being used are releasing certain levels of hormones which trigger an autonomic response that causes some level of inflammation or pain. Then our brains, lovely creatures that they are, pull up the memories that go along with it. That's the only vaguely, very vaguely, reasonable sounding idea I can come up with and it's a stretch to high heaven.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @nvmomketo, I have noticed (happily) a great decrease in flare ups since beginning this woe. Plus they don't last near as long as they used to, and I'm super thankful for that too! The way this was so sudden threw me a bit. This woe is changing everything, as it should! Thanks for your ideas!
    @sweetteadrinker2, I appreciate your response. I know it's a stretch, but just about any scientific theory begins as a stretch in thinking. Being able to find reliable articles on emotions being "stored" in fat cells it made me wonder. Thanks again! :smiley: