Buillon question

Options
Do you drink buillon the whole month of induction, the first two weeks, forever? I cannot find the answer online or by searching mfp. I'm enjoying it so far, day 10, but I doubt I will feel this way in 3 weeks. Thank you.

Replies

• ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make my own bone both and drink whenever I feel I need and energy/ electrolyte boost.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Phinney and Volek say they still drink the stuff after, I dunno, 20+ years.

It's basically a good source of sodium and potassium. I used other sources for mine, and pretty much only as needed.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ok, that's doable, I do like it. I haven't made bone broth in a while, I promised myself I wouldn't get too complicated because last time I got overwhelmed and gave up right when I so close to fat adapting...and buillion cubes...doesn't get any easier than that. Thanks guys!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    ea101367 wrote: »
    I make my own bone both and drink whenever I feel I need and energy/ electrolyte boost.

How do you make your bone broth?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Do you drink buillon the whole month of induction, the first two weeks, forever? I cannot find the answer online or by searching mfp. I'm enjoying it so far, day 10, but I doubt I will feel this way in 3 weeks. Thank you.

After 4 months I still enjoy my chicken, herbs & spices at coffee break at work.
    I haven't tried plain chicken or beef yet.

>:) OR o:)

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I will never reach for a commercially produced broth / stock / bouillon product, since even the organic brands contain some form of sugar, and many also contain MSG and other weird stuff that I don't want to place into my body. I make bone broth, then freeze it in glass jars for future use. I have many flavours at any given time, ready to pull out and drink or use in cooking....chicken, beef, beef/pork, pork, turkey, goose, fish....

Making bone broth is easy. I save all bones from roasts, steaks, chops, roast chickens, etc, whatever I cook, but I also get fresh bones for free from my farmers. When I have a large ziploc bag full of bones, I have enough to make broth. Just place them in a bug pot with fresh cold water over it and a splash of apple cider vinegar to help draw out nutrients from the bones. Bring to a boil, skim any scum that rises and discard it. Continue to boil covered. I boil mine for at least 8 hours on top of the stove, replenishing water if it evaporates too much. Some folks like to use the slow cooker, but you need to cook longer, maybe 24 hours. I find I don't get a rich, deep enough flavour doing it this way, so I use the stovetop.

About 1/2 way through, I add an onion and a couple of celery stalks to the pot. You could also add a couple of carrots, but I have not been doing this since keto. Everytime you add either veggies or more cold water, make sure the pot comes back up to the boil.

When done, strain all the solids out and discard. I have met a couple of people who like to eat the chicken bones after boiling, but I don;t go that far. You can actually pulverize them in a powerful blender like a Vitamix, and incorporate the bones right into the broth, but I do not do that. I just enjoy the strained broth as it is. I salt it with sea salt, I like Herbamare since it is sea salt infused with herbs and tastes great. But I use a variety of salts.

I never season the broth until I use it. I place the unseasoned broth into glass jars, let them cool, and put in the freezer. Make sure to leave some space at the top for expansion during freezing, or your jars will crack. Or just keep the broth in the fridge and use it up. It will last a few days before starting to taste off.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I just leave the pot boiling on the stove all day when I have a day off, and even leave the house and run errands while it is cooking. I've never had the pot overboil or boil dry when away from the stove. Minimal work and it is so worth it. Enjoy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll start making bone broth again, but on the stove top because I was doing the crock pot version and everybody complained about the smell and I didn't want to leave it cooking all night either. Thank you for directions.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When you do it on the stove top, do you have an odor. I have done it in the slow cooker and got lots of complaints about the odor. Thanks
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it an odor, I would call it a yummy, homey chicken soup aroma.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ok, that's doable, I do like it. I haven't made bone broth in a while, I promised myself I wouldn't get too complicated because last time I got overwhelmed and gave up right when I so close to fat adapting...and buillion cubes...doesn't get any easier than that. Thanks guys!!

It does get easier, actually, just as point of fact. They have a buillion powder. LOL Stirs right in. :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I agree about bone broth. I don't make it a lot in the summer but do throughout the winter when I make a turkey every two weeks. I just boil then simmer the carcass all day long in the biggest pot of water I have, literally twelve hours, with veggie scraps of any and all types. Then strain it. Super easy.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    While I can certainly understand people not wanting the weird things that are in bouillon cubes.... They're kind of my life line at times. Easy to find and use and transport and store...
    I find I optimally have to drink it MINIMUM once a week now but ideally every couple of days or so. Every now and then I get these weird days where I can't focus, feel weak, like I'm going to pass out... I'm starting to recognize that now as electrolytes being off. So.. now it's a matter of refining how often I need to drink the stuff to avoid those days. I find if I haven't been eating bacon, I have to drink it sooner.

I choose the bouillon cubes for a few reasons. A big one is that there's just me eating the meat. Most of the meat I eat doesn't have bones in it already. So... it would take forever to save up enough to make broth with. Yeah, I couldn't probably source some pretty cheap if I wanted to... but I also simply HATE cooking of any kind. My fridge currently has 3lbs of bacon, 2 dozen eggs, 1litre cream, condiments (like mustard and mayo) and some boneless pork chops. Freezer has more bacon and some frozen chicken and pork. That's about it. If and when I eat veggies it's usually just romain lettuce and I buy it and eat it the same day. I just don't like pretty much anything that has to do with food and keto / LCHF has helped me immensely with this... so bouillon cubes it is. I can carry them in my purse, my glove box, leave them at my parents house, so if/when I get into a bad spot and feel "weird" it's there and super easy to do. :smile: That's my reasoning.

As an aside... I just had one of those days this week (realizing I hadn't taken the time to cook any bacon the last few weeks) and the Beast said "why don't we just install a salt lick in your car, like a cow has. Then every time you go somewhere you can lick it, and you'll have no problems. He was just being funny... though I have to admit I thought about it for a moment. :tongue:
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I found a European bullion cube brand in Whole Foods, their bullion cubes don't have MSG or anything strange, just organic palm oil and spices. I think they tastes delicious, so I've been drinking 2-3 cubes a day.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    While I can certainly understand people not wanting the weird things that are in bouillon cubes.... They're kind of my life line at times. Easy to find and use and transport and store...
    I find I optimally have to drink it MINIMUM once a week now but ideally every couple of days or so. Every now and then I get these weird days where I can't focus, feel weak, like I'm going to pass out... I'm starting to recognize that now as electrolytes being off. So.. now it's a matter of refining how often I need to drink the stuff to avoid those days. I find if I haven't been eating bacon, I have to drink it sooner.

I choose the bouillon cubes for a few reasons. A big one is that there's just me eating the meat. Most of the meat I eat doesn't have bones in it already. So... it would take forever to save up enough to make broth with. Yeah, I couldn't probably source some pretty cheap if I wanted to... but I also simply HATE cooking of any kind. My fridge currently has 3lbs of bacon, 2 dozen eggs, 1litre cream, condiments (like mustard and mayo) and some boneless pork chops. Freezer has more bacon and some frozen chicken and pork. That's about it. If and when I eat veggies it's usually just romain lettuce and I buy it and eat it the same day. I just don't like pretty much anything that has to do with food and keto / LCHF has helped me immensely with this... so bouillon cubes it is. I can carry them in my purse, my glove box, leave them at my parents house, so if/when I get into a bad spot and feel "weird" it's there and super easy to do. :smile: That's my reasoning.

As an aside... I just had one of those days this week (realizing I hadn't taken the time to cook any bacon the last few weeks) and the Beast said "why don't we just install a salt lick in your car, like a cow has. Then every time you go somewhere you can lick it, and you'll have no problems. He was just being funny... though I have to admit I thought about it for a moment. :tongue:

Mmm, a salt lick! I'm not gonna lie. At the office someone has a canister of Lo-Salt. I pour a little into a styrofoam coffee cup and have tastes of it throughout the day. Yum!!