Exercise on LCHF

Options

Replies

• mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ok, so I just need to get past the first few weeks...I already run fasted most days. My tummy doesn't do well with food first thing in the morning or before runs (I run in the morning). Just coffee. Sometimes a few sips of green smoothie. There is a difference depending on what I eat the night before: a giant bowl of lentil soup seems to work better than chicken and veggies.

Did you reduce your workouts while adapting? Or did you just push through and put up with the heavy legs feeling?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Taking a break for the first couple weeks is the standard advice, but I didn't know that when I started. :(

There were times when I really felt bad. Lifting weights kicked my butt. Lightheaded, weak-kneed, thinking about dialing 911.

After some sessions I felt fatigued and just general malaise. Then I discovered the magic of sodium! Instant relief from a couple dill pickles! Ever since then, I've been the reluctant sodium evangelist around here. Ask me if you want to know how/why it works. :)

So take a break if you'd like. Definitely take it slowly at first. But it's the stress of high-intensity muscle use that triggers the mitochondrial adaptations that Kitten mentioned above. Some say it takes 3 weeks to grow the new mitochondria, but some studies suggest it only takes a week.

Edit: there are also studies that suggest less-is-more if you want to lose weight with exercise. Limit sessions to 30 minutes, and you may not get so hungry afterwards.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Taking a break for the first couple weeks is the standard advice, but I didn't know that when I started. :(

There were times when I really felt bad. Lifting weights kicked my butt. Lightheaded, weak-kneed, thinking about dialing 911.

After some sessions I felt fatigued and just general malaise. Then I discovered the magic of sodium! Instant relief from a couple dill pickles! Ever since then, I've been the reluctant sodium evangelist around here. Ask me if you want to know how/why it works. :)

So take a break if you'd like. Definitely take it slowly at first. But it's the stress of high-intensity muscle use that triggers the mitochondrial adaptations that Kitten mentioned above. Some say it takes 3 weeks to grow the new mitochondria, but some studies suggest it only takes a week.

Edit: there are also studies that suggest less-is-more if you want to lose weight with exercise. Limit sessions to 30 minutes, and you may not get so hungry afterwards.

Ah so I need to develop patience! I am getting back into running in the past few months after a year and a half of on again, off again and about 25 lbs weight gain. I've lost about 10, maybe 15 so far (I don't step on the scale too often). I definitely need to shed some fat, and I keep reading about the success of a lower carb approach. I suppose since I don't see any 5ks I want to do after next weekend, I may try to stick it out with low carb in October. But taking time off...running is my antidepressant. :) Or at least deal with lead legs. And sodium! OH! I think I recall reading something about that in Wheat Belly.

I am one of those people who doesn't typically get hungry after exercise...the endorphins make me not want food for some time after, and I do better with smoothies or protein shakes. Easier on my sensitive belly, I guess.

I'm considering signing up for a local winter race circuit (5k, 10K, 10 mile, half marathon, 30K) because why not? It doesn't start until February, so I guess that would give me time to either get adapted or figure out I need more carbs.

I just started reading Keto Clarity. It's a really good book. I appreciate this discussion! Helping push me toward taking the below 100g/day plunge!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Something @KittensMaster might tell you, and I completely agree -- 100g/d is very low carb (and highly ketogenic) if you exercise a bunch.

100g = 400 kcal. About what you'll burn in a 30-40 minute run, leaving not much left for the brain (which burns 500-600 kcal/day).

That's one reason exercise is VERY ketogenic, and as strange as it may seem, the more ketones you make, the more sodium you need to feel good.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    @wabmester and @KittensMaster - you guys provided some great insight, thank you so much! I've read so much about how helpful low carb is for losing weight and reducing body fat, but have been quite hesitant to try because of running. I feel better after your input here! Thank you!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I just got back to low carb after several off and on months spent trying to find a way to have my cake and eat it too. I used to be able to do everything on low carb after the first six weeks, bicycle, run, walk forever and a day, no problems and feeling amazing. But now I'm right back to square one.

This is only day 8 for me. I'm still dragging a little. I ride my bike and walk. I want to get back into running, but not until I get this joint-crushing 25lb off my small frame. It doesn't look like much, it hides well in clothes, but it's a misery!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I run, do Strong lifts, do some calisthenics and such. I usually aim for about an hour of resistance and/or cardio 5-6 times a week. I think ketosis and working out are a match made in heaven. I had my fastest two-mile time (17:06 minutes) while I was in deep, deep ketosis.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I just got back to low carb after several off and on months spent trying to find a way to have my cake and eat it too. I used to be able to do everything on low carb after the first six weeks, bicycle, run, walk forever and a day, no problems and feeling amazing. But now I'm right back to square one.

This is only day 8 for me. I'm still dragging a little. I ride my bike and walk. I want to get back into running, but not until I get this joint-crushing 25lb off my small frame. It doesn't look like much, it hides well in clothes, but it's a misery!

I can totally relate to being small and 20-ish pounds over ideal. Several months ago when I was at my heaviest, people didn't believe me. I am down 10+ pounds and feel much better, but yeah, when you're small even 10 pounds makes a big difference!
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I run, do Strong lifts, do some calisthenics and such. I usually aim for about an hour of resistance and/or cardio 5-6 times a week. I think ketosis and working out are a match made in heaven. I had my fastest two-mile time (17:06 minutes) while I was in deep, deep ketosis.

Nice work on your 2 mile time! Your comment is helping to convince me to shed the body fat and last 10-15 lbs with a low carb approach.

I just started reading Peter Attia's blog (Eating Academy). I guess even when he was training 4 hours/day (he's a triathlete), he had extra weight and a fairly high body fat percentage. He's also a doctor. Great stuff there for those of us concerned about low carb for weight loss and how it might impact our endurance training. Though @KittensMaster and @Lillith32 have shown how awesome you can be in endurance sports on LCHF!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

I can totally relate to being small and 20-ish pounds over ideal. Several months ago when I was at my heaviest, people didn't believe me. I am down 10+ pounds and feel much better, but yeah, when you're small even 10 pounds makes a big difference!

Definitely! No one thinks I need to lose weight right now. But I don't go around naked in front of them, either!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @mountainrun73 , look up Ben Greenfield - he is another triathlete who used keto. From what I understand, the goodness of keto is that it actually gives you an advantage for steady-state cardio type workouts. With a sugar-burning metabolism, you have only about 500 kcal of energy your body can use, the rest goes into storage, aka body fat. So an athlete on a SAD diet would have to replenish their calorie store, by eating gels or drinking gatorade or some such. A fat-adopted athlete basically has the ability to tap into their body fat stores to get the energy stored, so instead of a dip in energy you have a steady supply. The way it worked for me is that I noticed a drop in performance for the first 3-4 weeks, but then it came back and I made gains, both in strength and speed (I wasn't going for endurance). Also an increase in energy made it easier for me to train harder and more often, and decrease of inflammation made me less prone to injury. I am pretty much a staunch advocate of the keto benefits for athletes, especially those of us who are more insulin resistant.

Thank you for your kind words.
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yikes do I feel lazy....:( Exercise is the one thing I am having a tough time getting on my agenda. I am hoping after getting about 30-40 lbs off, I will be able to do some good workouts. I have severe arthritis in my knees *(already had one replaced), and starting in my hips. I miss the days of "energy".
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I here you @Chabela53! Pain is a major deterrent to exercise! I hope to be able to incorporate it into my day eventually, without increasing pain levels!. Will get there, I'm just a late bloomer
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Chabela53 wrote: »
    Yikes do I feel lazy....:( Exercise is the one thing I am having a tough time getting on my agenda. I am hoping after getting about 30-40 lbs off, I will be able to do some good workouts. I have severe arthritis in my knees *(already had one replaced), and starting in my hips. I miss the days of "energy".

Which kind of arthritis?

If it's rheumatoid (which is generally inflammation), then this way of eating will go a long way to help with that, especially if you combine it with specifically seeking out other causes of inflammation for you.

If it's osteoarthritis (the "wear and tear" or "traumatic injury" kind), then check out Hyaluronic Acid supplements. HA is a lubricating compound that our body usually naturally makes and is what keeps our joints lubricated and our eyeballs squishy. ;) Supplementing it can help heal joint damage and revitalize "worn out" joints. I've gone from barely able to function in general, due to progressive pain from degenerative disc disease in my L4-L5 and L5-S1 vertebrae (right where the spine meets the pelvis) to being able to do a fair bit of activity with minimal pain after just two weeks on it. I kid you not.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a cheap oly weight set in my garage and practice olympic lifts a few times per week, walk a fair amount, do the odd slow and short jog, and if it's too wet to leave the house I've been known to pick a random exercise vid on youtube and bounce around for 30 minutes with the kids.

My grandma has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was a teenager, she's 69 now and does not exercise. It is extremely painful and I don't even know how she gets out of bed sometimes. She has both knees replaced and several surgeries on her hands to try and open them up, they were balling into fists. She is on steroids, tramadol and some other stuff just to make it through the day.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Something @KittensMaster might tell you, and I completely agree -- 100g/d is very low carb (and highly ketogenic) if you exercise a bunch.

100g = 400 kcal. About what you'll burn in a 30-40 minute run, leaving not much left for the brain (which burns 500-600 kcal/day).

That's one reason exercise is VERY ketogenic, and as strange as it may seem, the more ketones you make, the more sodium you need to feel good.

Wait, what? I've just been told the exact opposite on my thread here, so there is some misinformation (or misunderstanding) afoot... either from one side or another. I was told to keep the 20ish grams of carbs per day a constant no matter what. Can you clarify "a bunch" in your statement? Like lifting heavy 3x a week or a lot more? Also straight up science from either side would help.
  • KarenWilliams2015
    Options
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here exercises on LCHF; if so what do you do.

• KarenWilliams2015
    Options
    I do. Most days I do 'something whether it be an hour cardio or a mile swim or a good long walk. I find I've more energy following the LCHF way..
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've been weightlifting for about a month and I have noticed since I have upped the amount of the weights that I feel a little dizzy afterwards. I have been LCHF since June. So, from what I read it appears that some extra sodium after a workout will help counteract the dizziness?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »

Wait, what? I've just been told the exact opposite on my thread here, so there is some misinformation (or misunderstanding) afoot... either from one side or another. I was told to keep the 20ish grams of carbs per day a constant no matter what. Can you clarify "a bunch" in your statement? Like lifting heavy 3x a week or a lot more? Also straight up science from either side would help.

If you are talking about my comment on your thread I also mentioned that carbs before exercise may be useful for you, like @KittensMaster does, and that you would likely just burn through them as long as you didn't go overboard.