Ketosis vs. Keto adapted... What is the difference?

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I thought I understood what it meant to be in ketosis but I keep reading about being Keto adapted. At first I thought it was the same thing but now I'm thinking that's not the case. Can anyone please explain the difference?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can enter ketosis in a day or two by restricting your carbs to 20ish.

Keto adapted takes 4 to 6 weeks, and refers to the metabolic shift that happens in nutritional Ketosis where you go from primarily burning glucose for fuel to primarily fat.

Thus "fat adapted" or "keto adapted"
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Sorry, I'm still not clear on the difference... If I have to be Keto adapted to burn primarily fat as fuel, what am I burning in Ketosis?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any science on this. Ketosis is using primarily ketones. I'm not sure if fat adapted means anything science wise, but may just reflect stable functioning in ketosis?
  • nicintime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm still not clear on the difference... If I have to be Keto adapted to burn primarily fat as fuel, what am I burning in Ketosis?

Sorry, let me try again.

- ketosis is the beginning of the process. Full keto adaptation is what happens about (varies for different people) 4 to 6 weeks into that process.

It is my understanding that the body burns both glucose and fat/ketones, but that eating carbs means it will be primarily glucose. Cut the carbs and the fuel begins to shift. IIRC it is never exclusively one or the other, just predominantly.

Google Phinney and Volek - read their books, watch especially Dr. Phinney's talks. He is clear, non bombastic, and explains the process with great clarity.

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, you will know adaptation when you get there. Your energy levels will skyrocket and your workouts will become easier and you'll be able to go much longer.

I'm so mad at myself for going off low carb again and losing all that. Now I'm right back to slogging through the first few weeks again. All for what? Nothing worthwhile.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    That was helpful. Thank you!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can get into ketosis without much effort, but never deep ketosis, usually just one 1 on the blood meter, but I cannot get fully adapted. I never get that energy rush that people talk about. Its frustrating.
  • nicintime
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »
    I can get into ketosis without much effort, but never deep ketosis, usually just one 1 on the blood meter, but I cannot get fully adapted. I never get that energy rush that people talk about. Its frustrating.

Patience. Time is your friend. 4-6 weeks and you ARE adapted. Not everyone gets an "energy rush". Some people have damaged metabolisms from long carb / sugar abuse. Look long term. A 1 on blood meter is fine. Don't worry about the "depth" of ketosis. Just keep your carbs low, protein medium, and good fat high. Watch out for "carb creep". Some of us are just more resistant. Try some intermittent fasting, a simple 16 / 8. Up your coconut oil. Time is your friend on this Way Of Eating if you don't get impatient. Good luck!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »

Patience. Time is your friend. 4-6 weeks and you ARE adapted. Not everyone gets an "energy rush". Some people have damaged metabolisms from long carb / sugar abuse. Look long term. A 1 on blood meter is fine. Don't worry about the "depth" of ketosis. Just keep your carbs low, protein medium, and good fat high. Watch out for "carb creep". Some of us are just more resistant. Try some intermittent fasting, a simple 16 / 8. Up your coconut oil. Time is your friend on this Way Of Eating if you don't get impatient. Good luck!

Thank you. I've been eating this way since Feb 2014 and initially lost weight steadily. Got close to 40lbs lost, when I stalled. I tried everything, changed macros, upped fat, cut dairy, almond flour/coconut flour etc, you name it. THen on vacation back in April I went totally off the wagon and gained 10 lbs, and have struggled terribly since then. I can keep my fats in the 75% range and keep carbs under 20 net and still gain weight. I have the ketonix breath analyzer which is always yellow and often red but still not losing. I definitely have damage metabolism as well as PCOS so I understand it will be harder for me than for some others but I'd just love to see the weight come down a bit more. I have at least 50lbs to lose still. But all that being said, I'll still keto on because physically & mentally I feel better, although not skinnier. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Thank you. I've been eating this way since Feb 2014 and initially lost weight steadily. Got close to 40lbs lost, when I stalled. I tried everything, changed macros, upped fat, cut dairy, almond flour/coconut flour etc, you name it. THen on vacation back in April I went totally off the wagon and gained 10 lbs, and have struggled terribly since then. I can keep my fats in the 75% range and keep carbs under 20 net and still gain weight. I have the ketonix breath analyzer which is always yellow and often red but still not losing. I definitely have damage metabolism as well as PCOS so I understand it will be harder for me than for some others but I'd just love to see the weight come down a bit more. I have at least 50lbs to lose still. But all that being said, I'll still keto on because physically & mentally I feel better, although not skinnier. :)

Stalls can be broken with water fasts. Ketogenic Diet & Water Fasting

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    110 pounds down, 24 to go. 12 months 3 weeks on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    If you're like me, you will know adaptation when you get there. Your energy levels will skyrocket and your workouts will become easier and you'll be able to go much longer.

I'm so mad at myself for going off low carb again and losing all that. Now I'm right back to slogging through the first few weeks again. All for what? Nothing worthwhile.

I'm with you on that. I started back on Sunday and can't wait to have that "feeling" you get with keto... the energy, lack of cravings, and movement on the scale in the right direction!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

With my PCOS and IR, I think it took me longer than some to get fully adapted - like 12 weeks or so... but I had to drop hard core low to get the energy thing. My weight loss has slowed and I'm more or less in an unplanned maintenance phase, but my body is still recomping. In the last week, I've shrunk out of my undergarments... Weird. Finally, even though I've gone down nearly 3 pants sizes in that same time...

On net carbs, I'll subtract fiber, but I do NOT subtract sugar alcohols. Most AS are NOT my friend at all...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Same! I sent you a friend request... Maybe we can help support each other.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ketosis has given me my life back! I feel too good to ever return to the sad way I used to eat! That said, I have spent the last 4.5months in a stall (yep, no new weight off since June 1st! I have dropped two more sizes though in that time. I've begun to exercise some (I'm averse to the pain it causes me, so I go easy). And, I'm still here. If I had depended on the scale for motivation I would have given up a long time ago! Hang in there!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Ketosis has given me my life back! I feel too good to ever return to the sad way I used to eat! That said, I have spent the last 4.5months in a stall (yep, no new weight off since June 1st! I have dropped two more sizes though in that time. I've begun to exercise some (I'm averse to the pain it causes me, so I go easy). And, I'm still here. If I had depended on the scale for motivation I would have given up a long time ago! Hang in there!

My scale died a few days ago. At first I was planning to get a new battery for it, then I decided this may be my opportunity shift focus and am choosing to not replace the battery for a while.

I know the jury still seems to be out on the usefulness of KetoStix but I still feel like I need a motivator, so I'm going to take that routes for try the stix for awhile, while I give my scale a rest.
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just a suggestion: try switching your fat and protein macros. You need more protein for muscle support, and less fat so you can burn off the fat on your body already. Maybe if you've been stalling, this is an option to consider.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Protein is a goal range, dependent on lean body mass. Most folks are in the 60-150 grams range, for the lowest being sedentary and higher being weight lifting (again, there are calculations to determine YOUR OWN RANGE). Defaulting to adding more protein stalls some people, and too much protein converts out to sugar in some more sensitive folks - and excess protein is hard on the kidneys. My personal range for protein is about 85 grams for sedentary and 135 or so if I were weight lifting and heavily active. One can safely go over the protein goal, but how far over depends on the person. Going to 75% on protein, or even anywhere close, would make me a very sick person personally.

Eating too little fats stalls some people out, as does eating too many. Whatever changes you make, try to give them 4 full weeks to see the results of the changes (because an immediate gain or loss does not show the whole picture). After 4 weeks with each individual set of changes, more can be introduced. If you do not isolate your changes, you will never know which changes worked.

So consider everything, particularly in light of your own circumstances...