Just finished my first week but already ran a 5k

Options
jriehl08
jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
So a little back story. I started C25K 2 yrs ago and after completing week 4 I hurt my leg and stopped running. I then went back to the lazy over eating ways and gained back the 30 lbs I had lost plus an extra 10 lbs. I decided on the 18th of august 2015 it was time for me to start over for my 2 young girls and my wife.

I bought a garmin vivofit2, started tracking my walking and started using myfitnesspal again to track my food. I also downloaded C25K on my new phone and did week 1 days 1 and 2. Well my wife and myself went for a walk on a new trail and I seen a sign for an upcoming 5K local to us. I went home and signed up while I was amped up on doing a 5K for the first time.

That following Monday I went and bought a new treadmill to replace ours that was getting wore out. Not from us but it was old and used when we had it given to us. The day I bought the new one I walked/jogged my first ever 5K just to see if my body could take the 3.1 miles all in one shot.

I woke up the day of the 5K and it was pouring. I still had my small breakfast and headed into town. I went to Walmart and bought a gallon of water, a hydration back pack and a 97 cent poncho. I then went and signed in for my race.

As the rain continued I worked on my nerves to make sure I did talk myself into just going home. As we went to the starting line I let everyone get ahead of me so I didn't slow anyone down and could just pace myself. As we left the starting line I was feeling pretty good. I was putting in a good pace and had actually passed a few people. After the first mile I was really starting to feel it and had then been passed by those that I had passed at the start. In my rookie pace I had went to fast at the beginning. At about 1.5 miles I almost talked myself into quitting, but I didn't. After I hit the 2.25 mile mark my body was just going through the motions. I would jog as long as I could then pushed myself a little further before going into a fast walk. I would catch my breath and start jogging again.

As I turned off the road and back onto the last part of the track to finish the race (about .75 of a mile) I could still see a few people that weren't to much further ahead of me and this gave me the last boost I needed to push on. I finished with a time of 36.56

I am now back doing the C25K program and will continue with the program until I finish and hope to improve on my time. I started out aug 18th at 275 lbs and this morning I scaled in at 250 lbs. Just thought I would share my story. If you made it this far thanks for taking the time to read it, and good luck on your journey.

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Great story! Congratulations on your first 5k, nice time...and well done on your weight loss!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    With that pace and actually running a 5k dude, I would recommend you jump to the last maybe 4 weeks of the C25K program, and then continue on with a Bridge to 10K program. Unless you're happy with the shorter intervals in the early weeks. If you're happy with those, work through the program it will help your body adjust to the stresses of running better.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Great job :) Keep up the great work you have an excellent and positive start!
  • MsNikiDrops
    MsNikiDrops Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is awesome. I am brand spanking new at this and will be starting the first day of week 1 when I get home from work this evening. My main form of exercise right now is walking and Zumba but I want to add running to that. Not necessarily for speed or anything like that, I just want to be able to run a few miles without feeling like I am going to pass out. My goal is to be able to participate in a 5k Color Run in the near future. I don't really care about my speed, I just want to finish it. Right now it feels very far fetched for me because I've only recently started my weight loss journey and I have a long way to go but I have to start somewhere. I am nervous about it and afraid of what people might say about someone my size running but I'm going to do it anyway. :)
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love this story -- great example of "just do it". And in the pouring rain, and everything -- Also liked how you described pacing yourself, staying in for the whole race, and keeping to the back (I do that too).