never ending workout pain

Options
I am curious why it takes me so long to recover from working out?
I can do a strenuous workout with the trainer(like this week).I worked my lower body and it wasn't until today that I felt back to normal,for 3 days it was REALLY bad!I couldn't walk down stairs.
I wonder how much this has to do with diet as I am reading often that we need to refuel with carbs post workout.
Mark Sisson says fasted workouts and continue to fast after a workout and then protein after that.
I have tried to refuel with protein and refuel with carbs and it is making no difference with recovery.
Anyone have any ideas?
I generally eat high fat,moderate protein and low carb.I am lifting and doing circuit training twice a week for an hour and then walking other days or running (at a slow pace).
I would really like a faster recovery so anything you can come up with would be appreciated.

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer for you, but what I do believe is everyone is different. You have to experiment for yourself. I have found that a whole avocado and package of tuna is enough to refuel me for my workouts (along with lots of water.) However, whenever I try something new, it's not uncommon for me to be sore for 3 days (days 2 and 3 being the worse.) Hot baths, massage and rollers work best to help with this. If you think you are abnormally, or it is because lack of carbs, play with it. Eat a sweet potato with a dollop of almond butter, or a banana w/ almond butter. Test it for 2 weeks and see what changes. Also how long have you been working with a trainer? I was really sore for the first month I worked with a trainer (pre-primal.)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    thanks for the ideas.I have been with the trainer for about 7-8 weeks.I figured at this point it would be getting easier..she thinks the issues come with the way I eat...I think I must just be that out of shape that it's taking longer..
    I did low carb before and exercised and my recovery was never this bad..maybe I need recovery workouts?
    I am going to play some more with carbs this week and see how it goes and maybe at the end of 2 months it might be better recovery wise.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise on the day after you session with the trainer? It might be a good idea, like a long, easy walk or job, or maybe a couple laps in the pool.

As for diet, I'm a huge fan of eating within 30 minutes to an hour after work out, especially carbs and protein. My go to is turkey wraps with avocado, tomato, and lettuce for the wrap part. Plus a banana or melon if I don't have bananas. But like Howbouto said, play around with it and see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    have you gone 100% grain free and tried eliminating nightshades?
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Do you do any exercise on the day after you session with the trainer? It might be a good idea, like a long, easy walk or job, or maybe a couple laps in the pool.

As for diet, I'm a huge fan of eating within 30 minutes to an hour after work out, especially carbs and protein. My go to is turkey wraps with avocado, tomato, and lettuce for the wrap part. Plus a banana or melon if I don't have bananas. But like Howbouto said, play around with it and see what works for you.

Good luck!
    I do get out for walks but thinking they may need to be longer.
    Thanks for the input
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    have you gone 100% grain free and tried eliminating nightshades?
    I had been eating ketogenic primal for 3.5 months and then fell off the wagon with sugar for 6 days.
    I don't eat nightshades and have white rice very rarely.
    I would say I eat 98% primal.
    I do know this last sugar binge was a major part of my recovery issues from a recent workout but this has been an ongoing battle of mine.
    I was just curious of anyone found that eating high fat/low carb impeded their recovery?
    Low carb being more often then not,around 25 grams or less
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I suffer from bad muscle pain too, so much it hinders me from doing the exercise I was planning on doing. I have been taking l-glutamine for some time and it really works for me. It helps repair the muscles after hard training and prevents muscle soreness. It is fairly cheap and doesn't have to be from a "good brand" as long as it is 100% l-glutamine. Although not sure if this fits in to the paleo lifestyle...
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to 'refuel' your carbs unless you're doing any long distance endurance based work or very high intensity work over 20 mins. What about water? How much are you drinking? Are you having a proper cool down and warm up before your work out? Focus on trying to flush out all that lactic acid in your system (it's what can be making you sore) and know that sore muscles are your body rebuilding (stronger!).
    Good luck
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Potassium and magnesium supplements help me the most with muscle soreness. That and PLENTY of water.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Potassium and magnesium supplements help me the most with muscle soreness. That and PLENTY of water.

This! I was turned on to magnesium citrate supplements by a massage therapists when I was marathon training several years ago and have taken them continuously since. They are cheap (less than $7 for 90 tablets). I get enough potassium with the food I eat so I don't supplement that. Check your food reports and see what you average on potassium for a week.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    You shouldn't have to 'refuel' your carbs unless you're doing any long distance endurance based work or very high intensity work over 20 mins. What about water? How much are you drinking? Are you having a proper cool down and warm up before your work out? Focus on trying to flush out all that lactic acid in your system (it's what can be making you sore) and know that sore muscles are your body rebuilding (stronger!).
    Good luck
    My workouts are high intensity based and last 45-55 mins twice per week.
    I only drink water and lots of it..before,during and after working out.
    I am with the trainer and I am well warmed up before things get intense but I have been wondering if we are doing enough with cooling down.
    Thanks for the feedback
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I suffer from bad muscle pain too, so much it hinders me from doing the exercise I was planning on doing. I have been taking l-glutamine for some time and it really works for me. It helps repair the muscles after hard training and prevents muscle soreness. It is fairly cheap and doesn't have to be from a "good brand" as long as it is 100% l-glutamine. Although not sure if this fits in to the paleo lifestyle...
    I am going to look into l-glutamine and see if it might work.I do have digestion issues(quite severe)and it seems it could help with that as well.
    Thanks
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I drink tonnes of water and only water as my liquid source.
    I do take magnesium in the form of natural calm but I don't take it everyday.I will start taking it after my workouts and recovery days.
    Potassium is not a problem and thanks for comments
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too! And it have helped with my stomach problems as well (digestion, bloating, cramps and uncomfort). If you do get som let me know how you get on =)