Bone broth

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I am currently simmering a pot of bones and veg for what will become bone broth. I used the recipe calculator to determine the nutritional value and came out with something like 600 cal a cup. Is this even possible? How do you log your bone broth intake?

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's counting everything in the soup before you strain it out. If you search bone broth, there is at least one in the database so that's what I use.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The calorie counts on the data base vary dramatically. Some as low as 15 to others 160+. The big problem seems to be the bones themselves as I used beef femurs. There is a lot of fat, most of which I will remove. The rest is relatively small amounts of carrot, parsnip and leeks. 600 cal for one cup of broth seems too much
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was told long ago to not worry about the cals in the bone broth, but rather to just use the figures for broth or stock. The cals etc are for everything you put IN the cooking medium, and it doesn't count the fact that it is all strained. If you go by the numbers for broth you should be ok.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I make mine, then subtract of 90% of the cals. I'm straining all the veggies out of it and taking some of the fat for cooking later. I just round up to the next 10 cals and call it good.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Frogz0r wrote: »
    I was told long ago to not worry about the cals in the bone broth, but rather to just use the figures for broth or stock. The cals etc are for everything you put IN the cooking medium, and it doesn't count the fact that it is all strained. If you go by the numbers for broth you should be ok.

This makes sense to me. The one time I've made it so far, I just logged one of the ones I found in database that was lower calories. I wouldn't have logged it at all but I did want some of the nutrients to be recorded. Even though it's just a guess.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP entry for 'Homemade chicken broth' that totals 86 calories per cup. That entry includes some protein (gelatin from the cartilage, which makes the bone broth gel up) and fat, which I do not strain off. I use the same entry for chicken, beef, and bison bone broth.