Lifting with Wrist Injury

Options
blossomingbutterfly
blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
Hello! I'm hoping for some help for ideas on what to do. I currently have tendinitis in my left wrist and most movements hurt. I cannot turn my hand over to do regular bicep curls at all or any movement in that direction. I don't want to do just one arm and not the other. My problem areas where I usually do strength training for the most are my upper arms. Is there something you can recommend that I can do that won't further hurt my wrist? My doctor doesn't have any suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had tendinitis years ago. I get the odd flare up if I'm an idiot and I overwork them.

The best I can suggest is to wear a weight lifting wrist wrap when you lift for things that would bother you. I wear mine for front squats, rows, OHP and bench and it really helps keep my wrists straight and supported.

To be honest it is really easy to mess up your wrists when there is weight involved, it doesn't take much too. Sometimes even the tension of lifting was enough to bother my wrists, for weight lifting for something I was only uses my hands as support (back squats for example). I put off lifting for a long time until my wrists were healed up.

If you feel anything bad stop and treat after the session. It is a little hard to tell at times as you got adrenaline flowing but you really got to listen to your body.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this too. Definitely annoying since you use your hands and wrists for everything thus it's hard to let it rest up. I find it so sore as it is by the end of the day because of work but alas I miss lifting. It's my stress release. I find if I try to do it using the brace I have for it, I can't actually do it because it prevents me from gripping properly or safely. When you say weight lifting wrist wrap, is that something specific? I'll Google it and see what I find. Thanks for the ideas! :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have also got a sore wrist and have just changed from strong lifts to strong curves. I noticed, a couple of weeks ago that my hands and wrist started to feel really sore so I stopped for a week then deloaded. It began to affect my martial arts practice. Strong curves is good though because of the variety of exercises and the fact that you lift weights and do body weight exercises. Anyway, I bought a wrist support from my local sports shop and when I train, whatever it is, I wear it and take some ibuprofen. It feels as though it is improving now and really does keep your wrist tight. I wish you all the best with yours and be careful.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I have also got a sore wrist and have just changed from strong lifts to strong curves. I noticed, a couple of weeks ago that my hands and wrist started to feel really sore so I stopped for a week then deloaded. It began to affect my martial arts practice. Strong curves is good though because of the variety of exercises and the fact that you lift weights and do body weight exercises. Anyway, I bought a wrist support from my local sports shop and when I train, whatever it is, I wear it and take some ibuprofen. It feels as though it is improving now and really does keep your wrist tight. I wish you all the best with yours and be careful.

I watched a video where they don't wrap their thumbs around the bar during squats to avoid sore wrists. You would have to start with no weights on bar and build back up.