Pace question

Options
NorahCait
NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
I know the typical advice is to run slowly, and that you should be able to hold a conversation while running, but...

I've found that my *legs* feel a lot better running about .5mph faster than the pace I've generally gone.* It's definitely more intense in terms of breathing and I don't know if I could really hold a conversation very well, but it feels much more natural.

So... should I slow down my pace again and just deal with my legs feeling awkward, or should I run at the pace that feels more natural even if I'm breathing harder?

*My pace is SLOW. 4.7mph-5.2mph.

Replies

• ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go with what feels better for my legs. I tried going slowly enough that I could talk normally and I just found I couldn't keep going because of weird pains in my legs and feet. Now I am going a bit quicker I can happily do 7k, but would only be able to have a very snatched conversation.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @NorahCait I would still stick with the slower pace, especially as you are building your fitness. Surprisingly running slow can be a very hard thing to learn.

@ruthbardell You should try slowing down a bit, and once that is comfortable, slow down some more until you are back at conversation pace. You don't need to run all your runs at this pace, but your longer ones really should be.